BOX1

Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a big wish list for this thing... so far here are the things I think they did wrong:

-No trailer hitch receiver.
- i4wd (No manual diff lock version).

No hitch is just dumb, and the i4wd might be a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned the manual diff locks/drivetrain on my pioneer is mostly a win (could only be better if the diffs were independently lockable). I don't care for the i4wd, the hill start assist, or the fancy braking deal they've got. In my opinion that will just be more stuff to stop working down the road.

Does anyone know if the 2wd setting will be a locked rear diff, or will it be open? I assume it will be open, which is how I drive the pioneer 90% of the time, but being able to run locked 2wd would be fun in the talon... course with i4wd I guess that isn't possible.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm praying a base model will come out. Manual diffs; get rid of the hill assist and smart braking crap along with the i4wd. Maybe blank steel wheels and loose the fancy painted plastics and decals. Swap the two tone seats for more plain all black ones. Could also use slightly less expensive shocks too maybe. And of course drop the price $2000 or so. I guess I could weld on a receiver at that point.

Reactions: 100Acre and rlutech
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had a big wish list for this thing... so far here are the things I think they did wrong:

No hitch is just dumb, and the i4wd might be a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned the manual diff locks/drivetrain on my pioneer is mostly a win (could only be better if the diffs were independently lockable). I don't care for the i4wd, the hill start assist, or the fancy braking deal they've got. In my opinion that will just be more stuff to stop working down the road.

Does anyone know if the 2wd setting will be a locked rear diff, or will it be open? I assume it will be open, which is how I drive the pioneer 90% of the time, but being able to run locked 2wd would be fun in the talon... course with i4wd I guess that isn't possible.

Want or need a hitch? Go buy a Pioneer. Sports cars don't have hitches either.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

It will not take long for companies to make them...
11F686A3 BBF5 4BA4 8903 0CED1C3A73A0

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well dang... well, I don't know. I don't know which way I'd rather have it, locked or unlocked. I'd rather have it just like my pioneer. I wonder how much an unlocked rear diff would have cut off the turning radius. Plus where I ride we end up with a lot of asphalt miles... unlocked rear diff is nice for not wearing out your tires all the time.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Want or need a hitch? Go buy a Pioneer. Sports cars don't have hitches either.

I agree, I guess, but it doesn't cost anything for them to have incoporated one. The talon should be able to have the same tow capacity as the pioneer i assume. I use the hitch to move the trailer around once the sxs is unloaded. Basically we leave our SXSs on the trailers in a storage compound where we ride (4.5 hours from home). We drive our small car to save gas money to get there. Once we get there we will use a sxs to pull trailers in and out of the compounds.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, and i did buy a pioneer. Basically because it was the best Honda sxs at the time and I loved all of our fourtrax atvs growing up. But I need something that has more travel and a more comfortable sporty seating arrangement for our aggressive trail riding style. I don't think they needed to loose the trailer hitch because the body style changed. All of the Polaris riders are scared to tow other bikes out of the woods and end up asking me too... would be cool to still be able to brag/show off that ability with the talon by pulling a 16' trailer through the campground with another Sxs on it lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think this will be a huge hit. It will grow on us and become very popular. We b****ed about the P1000 more and still do but Honda sells them every day.

I love the 1000R. It’s the same width as my pioneer so that’s cool. Looks to be able to hold a 30-32” tire easily. The bed storage is super nice. One might could even do an Overland trip with that size.

We just got two new models and I bet we see more. Plus the aftermarket will be all over this thing so the next couple of years will be awesome.

I can’t wait to test drive

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The talon x seems to be a very close competitor on paper to the rzr s 1000 and maverick trail 1000. Both of which have receivers.

I also noticed the small fuel tank size on the talon of like 7.5 gal or 8.5 with reserve I think. Isn't that down from the pioneer? The rzr has a 9.5 and the can-am has a 10 gal.

All in all, I'm definitely not disappointed. I just really didn't see that i4wd coming as standard. The other few issues I expected.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I’m very skeptical of the i4wd also. I’ve never driven one though. I hope to get to test the i4wd some day in a pioneer so I have a direct comparison.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer shows the same screen when in park.

Right, because it is in 2wd lock when in park. The talon i guess will always be in 2wd lock, so whats the point in telling us that with an indicator that we know is capable of showing 2wd unlocked. It should have a new screen that just shows "2wd" or "awd". No need for the top down view of the the drivetrain anymore.

I assume the pioneers withv i4wd are using the same screen as well... I never thought about that before.

I think I will wait a while and see what happens. Maybe additional models will be released. Maybe a base model without i4wd.

Reactions: BWAF
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No turf mode
Same display as the Pioneer
No Hitch (i tow my trailer in and out of the yard with my machine)(i know there will be after market eventually)
Looks like Catalytic converters.. why?
Interior doesnt look like room for many additional accessory switches
Horizontal ROPS over driver and passenger is bolted together there. Maybe im wrong but doesn't seem as safe as a solid cage.

Reactions: BWAF
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I’m very skeptical of the i4wd also. I’ve never driven one though. I hope to get to test the i4wd some day in a pioneer so I have a direct comparison.
You're welcome to drive mine anytime you want. I would have to say the I4wd is pretty cool. This remindes me when the Honda 4 wheelers came out with push button electric shift and every one was skeptical about it. It's been out about 20 years now and it's great.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No turf mode
Same display as the Pioneer
No Hitch (i tow my trailer in and out of the yard with my machine)(i know there will be after market eventually)
Looks like Catalytic converters.. why?
Interior doesnt look like room for many additional accessory switches
Horizontal ROPS over driver and passenger is bolted together there. Maybe im wrong but doesn't seem as safe as a solid cage
28" tires

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!