• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by CTDpower, Nov 27, 2018.

1. CTDpower

CTDpower Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Well, they are calling it a torque sensitive limited slip differential but i dont see any reason why it wouldn't be a pretty loose open diff in its current configuration. Me thinks that changing the the angle of the peaks and valleys on the face cams would affect the "limited slip" function you might feel from the differential. If I'm thinking correctly, with a steeper angle you would be able to transmit more force to the stuck wheel... but I'm guessing Honda has found what they think to be the optimal angle. I think this type of diff would really work well with the whole i4wd electronic braking system.

I don't really like those pics that Joey posted above though. Obviously this diff is relying on friction between the face cams and followers, and it shows in the pics. Seems like a high wear item, vs a regular gear diff, but with clean thick oil it is probably fine.

Having said that though, if I broke a front axle and had the i4wd system then I wouldn't count on being able to get any power out of that remaining wheel up front.

BWAF, JTW and joeymt33 like this.
  2. Buford

Buford Well-Known Member

So it looks like they are using their same cheezy ass steering wheel.........again.........
    Pretty sad, even Kawasaki uses a nice padded steering wheel on their cheapest sxs, the Mule SX.
    Oh, and the same brilliant, black on black shift pattern :rolleyes:

CumminsPusher, BWAF and JTW like this.
  3. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    JACKAL, Plumber32, BWAF and 1 other person like this.
  4. 1Ron

1Ron Active Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    I’m in the same boat except that I already have a deposit on the R. My biggest concern is the trailing Arm on the R. It will definitely drag in some cases but with a shield that won’t be a big deal....excep for rocks. You can place the driver side wheels fairly accurately but the passenger side is more of a guess. I’m thinking about changing from the R for that reason. But the suspension on the R looks like a plus and the X a minus from the 2018 XP1000 I Ride now. Pictures of the R on bumps look like the body body stays flat with the suspension taking the hits. It’s pretty hard to dress that up for a commercial.

Going to 30’s should work OK, it’s about 4% higher for every inch in tire diameter over 28. 8% higher geared for 30’s and 16% for 32’s. I’m running 32’s on my RZR on 15” wheels now (about 12%) and didn’t have to do much clutch work. A lot will depend on the Honda gear ratios but 6H+6L may leave some room for bigger tires.

I’m sure Honda would like to have upgrades from existing customers but the Talon is directly aimed at Polaris the industry leader, IMO. They state they are aiming at all of them which may be true. But Polaris has the market share so that’s where the most potential new customers will come from.
    My dealer is dual line Polaris and Honda and they already have 5 or 6 orders ahead of pricing so.... Honda may have a big hit, time will tell.

joeymt33, BWAF, JTW and 1 other person like this.
  5. IDIOT

IDIOT Active Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand, Talon R
    Don't like where they put the instrument cluster, needs to be infront of the driver. Will wait another year and see if they get that right.

joeymt33 likes this.
  6. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    You’re just an idiot

joeymt33, Bad_bowtie, Mudwing and 4 others like this.
  7. CTDpower

CTDpower Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    LOL

I don't really like where they put it either, but on the other hand maybe I'll notice the over heating light this time if it isn't blocked by the steering wheel or my hands.