• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by CTDpower, Nov 27, 2018.

1. CTDpower

CTDpower Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    And the wheel hop thing was a joke of course... evident by the "lol" and "Haha".

;-)

2. JACKAL

JACKAL Adapto-fit Hillbilly Engineer
    Moderator Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
  3. CTDpower

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Without going back and listening to their sales pitch, I think you got that verbatim!

I've heard them use that statement before, it sounds like it's memorized. One of those things Honda has given them a script for, that way they don't screw it up since salesmen don't really know how it works. That statement alone wouldn't convince me to buy into it.

How did the limited slip differential respond to your broken front axle?

4. JACKAL

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
  5. mw13

mw13 New Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    I am a current RZR XP1k owner, eyeing the Talon for a possible future machine. I've owned Honda dirt bikes before and think Honda offers a good quality product. The DCT trans is what has me most interested, although I understand the Pioneer had some early clutch issues with the DCT. Hopefully that is all straightened out for the Talon.

Going along with the thread title, things I either don't like OR have questions on:
    1) on the R model, the rear trailing arm hangs a little low and WILL get hung up in certain terrains. I experienced this in my older RZR XP 900 which had lower trailing arms also
    2) should have come with 30" tires and the appropriate gearing to go with those tires. Then you have the option of staying 30" or upgrading to 32" without risking burning up clutches. A big question is, how low will the LOW gear be, and how will the trans/clutches hold up to slow paced rock crawling and hill climbing, especially with a 30" tire. I want to run a 30-32" tire without having to do a costly gear reduction.
    3) don't care for the what appears to be different offset wheels front and rear. I run 5+2 wheels currently, and most likely will run something similar on the Talon. The front will likely be fairly wider with a setup like this. I like to run all 4 wheels and tires the same size, ie. 30x10x14 on 5+2 wheels all 4 corners. Does anyone know the wheel bolt pattern on the Talon? I may just try bolting up my current 30" Roctanes on 4/156 wheels if the bolt pattern is the same and IF the 14" wheels clear the supposedly larger brakes. If not, time for a new 15" wheel/tire set. The 28's will have to go instantly.
    4) I have mixed feelings on i4wd, although I've read good reviews on it so maybe it functions just as good as a true locker. I would be happy with a more simplistic locking front diff.
    5) Dislike the motorcycle battery. Should have copied Popo and put in an automotive sized battery. For the current Pioneer owners, I assume it uses a motorcycle battery also. Not sure what the stator output is on these, but how do the current Pioneer 1k's do with added light bars and stereos?
    6) Why no spin on oil filter? It appears to use a canister type filter. Maybe they filter better, but no one can argue that a spin on oil filter is easier to maintain.
    7) Air filter setup from what I can tell in pictures, looks very similar to my old RZR 900 XP. Sure, it's a decent setup and looks easily accessible, but there are better setups. It looks like when you pull the old filter out, you'll be dumping dirt on the clean air side of the filter box/intake. Then you have to clean all of that up real good before installing new filter. I like the current RZR XP1k filter setup quite well.
    8) for the money these will probably be, would have liked to see Arched A-arms and arched radius rods come stock.

Don't get me wrong, aside from all of those questions, I still want one!! It's a Honda and it has DCT. Good stuff. If low gear comes geared low enough to not burn up clutches I'll be happy. I will probably watch reviews on it the first year though, and possibly buy a 2nd year model. I'm sure my questions will be answered after the first year.

6. JACKAL

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
    snuffnwhisky, BWAF and CumminsPusher like this.
  7. CTDpower

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Well holy crap! If that isn't an engineering marvel, I'm not sure what is. Love the principles in that thing. Really out of the box thinking. Are we sure that is what they are using up front on the i4wd machines?

Going to have to think more about it, but I think I like it. Like it as much as a knob you turn and it locks the front axle... I don't know?

BWAF likes this.
  8. joeymt33

joeymt33 i4WD=imitated 4WD

Ownership:
    1000-3, 1000-5
    JTW and CumminsPusher like this.
  9. joeymt33

Ownership:
    1000-3, 1000-5
    Tigermark, JTW, Cuoutdoors and 2 others like this.
  10. Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors Executive Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I had no idea that's what they were using in the rear end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. joeymt33

Ownership:
    1000-3, 1000-5
  12. snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky Village Idiot
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
  13. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Could it be added?

Eltobgi and CumminsPusher like this.
  14. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    Eltobgi and JTW like this.
  15. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Lol.. it’s not even out yet and we’re all already modifying them!

16. snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky Village Idiot
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    Gofish, CumminsPusher and JTW like this.
  17. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5

Point #2 you are right especially now Rzr's are coming with 32in tires and geared to turn them they fell flat on that maybe next year?

Point #5 They don't do well with add-ons to the tiny stock battery I have a winch, light bar and soundbar wired to mine once the voltage drops you lose the tranny. We are having to install auto-sized 2nd batteries to compensate draw from accessories January mine will be getting a Optima Yellow top installed by the user KnuckleDeep.

Point #6 I agree i like popo's spin on filter much easier to spin on hand tighten and go instead of 2 cartridge filters the current 1000 has and 3 drain plugs.

Point #7 if you don't like that don't look at the Pioneer 1k air filter removal it doesn't make sense.

18. mw13

mw13 New Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    #5.. Gotcha. Sounds Like I need to jump over to the Pioneer 1k forum and do some reading. I like to run a winch, light bar, reverse light, and a basic stereo. Sounds like this may be an issue...losing tranny function definitely not a good thing!!

19. nbomar

nbomar Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    2nd aux battery and an isolator. No big deal. Run all accessories off six battery. Only run factory system on main battery. Never have issues with the stock system being low on voltage for transmission solenoids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. elkaholic

elkaholic Illegitimi non carborundum
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    ^ x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher likes this.