Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You're welcome to drive mine anytime you want. I would have to say the I4wd is pretty cool. This remindes me when the Honda 4 wheelers came out with push button electric shift and every one was skeptical about it. It's been out about 20 years now and it's great.
Yeah, I like my i4WD and I have both in a 2018. The i4WD is great in mud and I have actually used the hold in place brake just last weekend, it was a nice feature. Sure I'm worried it will break first but I also had one of the first Honda Foreman 450 ES :)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a big wish list for this thing... so far here are the things I think they did wrong:

-No trailer hitch receiver.
- i4wd (No manual diff lock version).

No hitch is just dumb, and the i4wd might be a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned the manual diff locks/drivetrain on my pioneer is mostly a win (could only be better if the diffs were independently lockable). I don't care for the i4wd, the hill start assist, or the fancy braking deal they've got. In my opinion that will just be more stuff to stop working down the road.

Does anyone know if the 2wd setting will be a locked rear diff, or will it be open? I assume it will be open, which is how I drive the pioneer 90% of the time, but being able to run locked 2wd would be fun in the talon... course with i4wd I guess that isn't possible.
I had a big wish list for this thing... so far here are the things I think they did wrong:

-No trailer hitch receiver.
- i4wd (No manual diff lock version).

No hitch is just dumb, and the i4wd might be a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned the manual diff locks/drivetrain on my pioneer is mostly a win (could only be better if the diffs were independently lockable). I don't care for the i4wd, the hill start assist, or the fancy braking deal they've got. In my opinion that will just be more stuff to stop working down the road.

Does anyone know if the 2wd setting will be a locked rear diff, or will it be open? I assume it will be open, which is how I drive the pioneer 90% of the time, but being able to run locked 2wd would be fun in the talon... course with i4wd I guess that isn't possible.

Well if this is all you have to complain about I don't know what the big deal is. The Talon is a purpose built machine. I'm not sure why you would expect a trailer hitch or an open rear end. Race cars don't have open rear ends. They are made to go and go fast. This isn't made for driving around the yard. Im sure you'll be able to get a bolt on hitch if you really need it or have one made.

I get that folks want manual diff lock. To me that is an old school way of thinking and you've got to try the I4wd. It is awesome! I have seen a lot of axles break in diff lock and I have yet to find a situation where manual diff lock would have been better than I4wd. The biggest difference is how much easier it is to drive in i4wd. You don't have the harsh steering and the feeling of the drive line binding up. I used it plowing snow over the weekend and LOVED it! The i4wd works amazingly well and anyone that wants to try it is welcome to drive mine.

Folks can sit back and say "all that fancy electronic s*** is just something else to break" and you'll be left sitting in the dark ages. Or they can recognize that it greatly enhances the ability of the machine and the driver experience. Like sharp said, everyone was b****ing about the electronic shift on the atv's and here we are over 15 years later and I don't think I've ever heard a single person say theirs failed. We have basically seen intelligent 4wd in vehicles for over 15 years as well. It's about time they start using it in the off road market.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I like black trail rock crawling, the i-4wd seems weird to me, a limited slip diff that uses the brake to latch the free wheel to send power to the contacting wheel, that second it takes will need to be accounted for when your puckering the seat material off the chair.... I wont buy it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think this will be a huge hit. It will grow on us and become very popular. We b****ed about the P1000 more and still do but Honda sells them every day.

I love the 1000R. It’s the same width as my pioneer so that’s cool. Looks to be able to hold a 30-32” tire easily. The bed storage is super nice. One might could even do an Overland trip with that size.

We just got two new models and I bet we see more. Plus the aftermarket will be all over this thing so the next couple of years will be awesome.

I can’t wait to test drive

I totally agree. Its exactly what I expected and I think it will only go up from here. Hopefully they have been putting a lot of time into this machine.

I was also impressed with the bed storage. It looks much deeper than all the others. You probably could put all of the NECESSARY items in there and get along fine. It may not haul all the beer some require but it looks like it would haul all the gear and food you need for a few days.

Some of the aftermarket stuff looks pretty sweet too!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like black trail rock crawling, the i-4wd seems weird to me, a limited slip diff that uses the brake to latch the free wheel to send power to the contacting wheel, that second it takes will need to be accounted for when your puckering the seat material off the chair.... I wont buy it.

I get that, and I had a LOT of questions about the I4wd before I bought my LE. Just ask @Tramguage1

But it doesn't take a second. It happens faster than you can snap your fingers and you don't even notice. This is one area where Honda is actually AHEAD of the game and it works flawlessly.

I bet 5 years from now you'll see it in a lot more machines.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Found it

Ba3bef2b4dba305793741d6d754dddcf

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The rear end on that R looks a lot more suspect to being damaged then the X. That ball joint looks scary where it is.

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The width of the two models is a deal breaker for me. They really should have released a 60" sport model instead of the 68" model. I get the 64" width is extremely popular but to ignore the popularity of the 60" sport segment is bad business in my opinion.

Reactions: BWAF and Dragon21
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Suspension looks to be really off. Maybe factory set for safety? Idk but has me asking wtf.
Was wrong about a 60” inch grrr lol
Wish it had a belt
I4wd !
Hp a little low but livable
Price point? Want to know price!!

*just kidding about belt!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You guys complaining about 60" really crack me up! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Don’t like breaking s*** in the trails! A sport model doesn’t have the body protection from the trees like pioneer does so I was hoping for a little narrower so we don’t take our suspension or control arms...our trails aren’t designed for Jeeps

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don’t like breaking s*** in the trails! A sport model doesn’t have the body protection from the trees like pioneer does so I was hoping for a little narrower so we don’t take our suspension or control arms...our trails aren’t designed for Jeeps
Oh come on I've seen you drive and 4 inches wasn't gonna save you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think places like Maine are limited to 60" width... so that means no Talon for them
That is correct, big land owners such as CMP and AFM have made it very clear that they don't want anything larger than 60" wide on their property and smaller landowners are following suit. Part of the reason is so that larger off-road vehicles don't tear things up. It's a serious compromise that while not perfect has yielded great benefits with over 6000 miles of interconnected trails that lead into New Hampshire, Quebec and New Brunswick. Starting from Pittsfield, ME a person can ride all the way to Quebec and starting in Ellsworth, ME a person can ride all the way to New Brunswick. Maine has been recognized as the best interconnected trail system in the country. Yes, the big width machines have their place but to totally ignore the potential sales in 7 states on the east coast is a business decision that has me curious.

http://www.gpstrailmasters.com/content/goomap/atv-map_E.html

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!