What's everyone like for a zero turn mower?

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new ZTM. I only have an acre of lawn now but the new build next year will have 3, maybe 4 acres of lawn so I want one big enough for that. I'm thinking 52", something semi-commercial but not a full on commercial grade mower. Or if someone has one smaller than that they really like. What should I steer away from? I don't want to have break the bank either.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We have a z445 JD, 26 hp Kawasaki twin cylinder. The wife mows about 2 acres and absolutely loves it. Easy to get parts for and do the maintenance. I would say it's at the top of the homeowner line and very bottom of the commercial line.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a big dog 60” model x1060. I think it’s in the commercial line. My last yard was 3.5 acres of all tiffway Bermuda. I wanted a mower that would last season after season and not need a lot. This thing is a beast. It’s got a Kawasaki engine in it. I went to buy a commercial line hustler and the guy at the dealer showed me this. It’s made by the same manufacturer with all the same parts. He showed me part numbers on drive motors, etc. saved me a few thousand to buy this vs a hustler. It was expensive, but I don’t regret it a bit. I only have an acre now but it still gets the job done well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My first question would always be, what dealers do you have around you and are they a good dealer.

You do get what you pay for and yes it does cost more for certain "colors." My son mows two acres and has a John Deere with a 60" deck, gas mower. His one complaint is that he wishes that it was a diesel. I'm not sure of the model but it is the biggest one that JD makes before their Diesel models. I have a JD tractor (2720) w/ a 62" deck (and a loader) which was way more practical for me as my yard is 2 acres+ and it has some hills...... Zero Turn = Zero Traction. I have several friends that are in the lawn mowing business and they use JD (very good dealer), Ferris (great machines, so so dealer), Dixie Chopper, Exmark and Hustler. Of course they all argue back and forth as to which breed is the best. (Glad we Honda Pioneer owners don't have to do that!)

I would not get a residential/home owner model. I find that paying the extra money for a commercial grade product, always works out best for me. Get out there and test some out. Have fun. Good luck with your shopping.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a Toro/ExMark 50” Fabbed deck, with the Kawasaki motor. I cut about 4acres every 4-6 days all summer long. I do have an extra set of blades so I can keep them sharp. I end up hitting them with a grinder monthly. I just resharpened my first set yesterday.

I did originally with a 72” mid-mount deck on a Kubota BX series but it took too long. The ZTR cuts my cut time to 1/3rd of what the BX was.

Reactions: swsebek
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive got a cub cadet z force with the 48 in fabricated deck. Its a great mower if you have alot of off camber or side hill mowing to do as it is the zero turn with a steering wheel. Its got a 23hp kohler. Mowed 3 seasons with it and no issues

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
The zero turn is great, IF you don't have any steep hills or rough ground. I have 5+ acres and use my JD 2520 with 62" deck. The other half uses the 50" zero to trim around things.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The zero turn is great, IF you don't have any steep hills or rough ground. I have 5+ acres and use my JD 2520 with 62" deck. The other half uses the 50" zero to trim around things.

You’re right I left that bit of info out. I have one hill in my backyard and a short 75’ section along our driveway that I have to cut slowly and in a certain direction and it slows me down.

Reactions: Wallace
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I picked up a Toro/ExMark 50” Fabbed deck, with the Kawasaki motor. I cut about 4acres every 4-6 days all summer long. I do have an extra set of blades so I can keep them sharp. I end up hitting them with a grinder monthly. I just resharpened my first set yesterday.

I did originally with a 72” mid-mount deck on a Kubota BX series but it took too long. The ZTR cuts my cut time to 1/3rd of what the BX was.
Yes the Toro/Exmark 50" is a cutting mutha
And a bunch of fun....

RickyB

RickyB

Jan 12, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I just went from .75 acres to 4 acres so I am new to the zero turn world myself. After a lot of research my buddy brought his Gravely ZT HD 48 out and cut my yard for me. He let me play around on it and I thought for the money it would do the job. I purchased the ZT HD 52 last week and love it. As for traction my .75 acres has a hill that from the ground up is level with my second story window. The steepest part I did a wheelie all the way up it so I don’t think traction is an issue. Just an opinion from a rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nbomar
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a Simplicity zero turn that was once owned by Farris. Simplicity kept the original design and did nothing but change the color from deep brown to orange. It’s a58” commercial very heavy duty deck with a B&S Vanguard commercial motor. Also my favorite part is it has coil spring shocks all the way around makes the bumps in your yard nicer on the back lol. I’ve had it going on 5 years and just maintenance and no issues what so ever.
Cost abot 5,200$

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We use a Z-425 John Deere. 54 inch cut. We love it. Ebay is your friend on belts, blades,etc. 23 hp Briggs,9 years old and still mowing strong.

Last edited:
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive got a cub cadet z force with the 48 in fabricated deck. Its a great mower if you have alot of off camber or side hill mowing to do as it is the zero turn with a steering wheel. Its got a 23hp kohler. Mowed 3 seasons with it and no issues
I also have a cub cadet but mine is a 2011 Z-Force 48 with a steel deck. Also, has the 23HP motor. I bought it after a gentlemen traded it in after mowing only a handful of times. This thing has been a great mower. I've replaced very little and the maintenance is very easy. I can get parts for cheap online. I bought 3 sets of blades on eBay and change them out a couple of times a year.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome feedback, thanks guys, learning a lot fast. I held out on my leading contender. So here is where I was leaning towards after my research basing it on reviews, size, motor and price:

Ariens IKon 52 with a 23hp Kawasaki. $3k

Ariens | Ikon X Series Zero-Turn Riding Mower Features & Models

I don't have many steep hills, nothing more than a 5-8% grade at worse. I really didn't want to spend $4k+. Yet. But I don't want to buy another one in a couple years because this one is POS or small or breaks. I'm still enjoying the points of view. My favorite was the guy that said his wife loves to mow. HAHAHAHA! That ain't happening here.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I started with a JD 48" cut and now have 2 a JD with a 54" cut and a Cub with a 52" cut. My next will be at least a 60" cut. You cannot believe the difference that that little of a deck increase cuts the time of mowing. We mow approx 4 acres of yard. The cub has been a good mower have had it roughly 8 yrs. the JD we bought used and have had it 2 yrs. it is a smoother mower. Better seat. Brands are as in everything else a personal preference. I personally look at price and dependability. The only advice I can give is opt for the welded deck, solid front tires and a comfortable high back seat. If clearance ( trees, shrubs, buildings) aren't an issue I would go to a 60" deck with that much lawn. The down fall on a zero turn is it makes it harder to enjoy a nice cold beverage while your mowing. It can be done tho.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With proper donuts performed, mowing grass becomes unnecessary.:D

Reactions: Gator
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bad boy outlaw 61" deck 27 horse kohler mowing 4 acres my neighbor has an ex- mark and that thing will fly. The bad boy is like a tank it out weighs the ex mark by a few hundred lbs.

Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mow about 3 acres with a Bad Boy ZT 60” here..from Tractor Supply. I bought it on sale last year. Very impressed with the construction. Compares with a commercial mower for half the price.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!