Multi What's the most unique vehicle you've owned?

J

JTW

You are all young kids. My first car was a 1950 Plymouth 4 dr sedan. 6 cyl flathead, 3 spd on the tree in 1967. What a dog! I couldn't get up our driveway without a running start. Then I'd lay on the brakes so I wouldn't kill the garage door. Last Chrysler in my driveway. But getting back to strangest vehicle.... a 1952 Army Weasel we used to get back and forth to my family's gold claim. We changed out the flathead 6 for a 1962 Ford Falcon straight 6. It would go 30 MPH ! Way faster than you could control. If you know what bogs on top of lakes/swamps are you know you can see the wave ahead of you. If you don't see a wave- you're about to hit some solid ground... and bounce! One of my best memories of Alaska.
That’s aweosme... I almost bought a Kid LTV once.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well since the title "What's the most unique vehicle you've owned" doesn't specify highway only - here are a few that I have owned:
1972 Fairmont Railway Motors MT14-L2 previously owned by the SOO Line railroad
20HP - 2 Cyl engine with 2 speed transmission both forward and reverse
These two photos were taken on a trip on the Algoma Central Railway north of Sault Ste Marie, ON in 1992
View attachment 83837 View attachment 83838
Here's a photo of railcars in front of us crossing the Montreal Falls Trestle (heading South) at MP-92 the right side of trestle is a 130 ft drop
View attachment 83841Back at the AC yards I bought these two 1960's vintage Fairmont M19's along with numerous spare parts
Both are powered by RO engines (see below)
View attachment 83839 View attachment 83840
The largest car I owned was this Fairmont A5-E that I picked up in Virginia
Powered by a Waukesha FC 4 Cyl, 132.7 CID engine that developed 35HP matched to a 4 speed forward and reverse transmission
View attachment 83842
The smallest, lightest and oldest of my motor cars was this 1949 Fairmont M9 formerly owned by the Illinois Central RR
Only 500 Lbs - Powered by a Fairmont ROC engine (aka Putt n Take or Putt Putt) - Single cylinder, 2 stroke , water cooled (condenser, no water pump), variable 5 to 8 HP due to the magneto, dual flywheel, hand crank, belt drive.
Love the sound of these engines at idle when they are about to stall and then suddenly fire two or three times and then hesitate again.

Since there is no transmission on the RO engines here is the procedure to shift from Forward to Reverse with these engines:
a) Come to a complete stop, b) Release belt tensioner and decrease throttle c) Close ignition d) Move magneto from "Run car forward" to "Start car Reverse" e) Wait until engine is nearing its last stroke f) Open ignition g) Engine will fire in reverse h) Move magneto from ""Start car reverse" to "Run car reverse" i) re-engage belt tensioner and increase throttle.
View attachment 83843
3rd gen Railroader, 41 year myself, miss the day of the motorcar and calabooses.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure if it is unique or not but I built it not bought it. I did own a Willis pickup with a 4 cylinder and 12,000 pound Pto winch 46 years ago but no pictures.

IMG 0210

Last edited:
Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was a 67. The 66's had the parking lights in the grille, the 67 had the front parking lights in the bumper and the reverse lights in the rear bumper.Thanks for the compliment!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Boy, does that weasel bring back memories. Looks to be in good shape too. The funny thing about these machines is the track. They are probably still good today. They have steel cords running all around surrounded in rubber. That way there are no joints to break. Same track as a half-track design. Too bad parts like this aren't available today.

Reactions: Caper, JTW and BWAF
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
First vehicle was $500 International Scout right-hand drive postal surplus, got pulled over by cop and passemger said,”but officer, I’m not driving!”, then 1978 Subuaru BRAT, then 1984 Toyota FJ40. Had the first Toyota 4 runner in town with removable top when kids came along. Always liked something unique. Guess it continues with the P500 when trail people ask, “What is that??”

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure if it is unique or not but I built it not bought it. I did own a Willis pickup with a 4 cylinder and 12,000 pound Pto winch 46 years ago but no pictures.

View attachment 83945
Dude, that is amazing! Absolutely gorgeous car. Very, very well done. You even got it on Scottie TV!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
FWIW Cumminspusher this is what a 66 Coronet looks like in front.

View attachment 84018
I’ve had a couple old Mopars but not Coronet. Had 67 Satellite wedge car, 65 and 67 Cuda, 65 and 69 Valiant, 75 Fury cop car, 78 Power Wagon, 78 Ramcharger very Custom, 82? tc3, 85 and 86 Laser, and many Conquests (Mitsubishi though)
Always wanted 72 Cuda or 69 Charger but not thinking that’ll happen

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve had a couple old Mopars but not Coronet. Had 67 Satellite wedge car, 65 and 67 Cuda, 65 and 69 Valiant, 75 Fury cop car, 78 Power Wagon, 78 Ramcharger very Custom, 82? tc3, 85 and 86 Laser, and many Conquests (Mitsubishi though)
Always wanted 72 Cuda or 69 Charger but not thinking that’ll happen
I guess a lot of my "odd" stuff was pre Facebook/Pinterest picture stuff. In 82 I had a yamaha rd350 on a 110 frame bought a new 86 Honda ATC 350X, while I had it I bought a wrecked 84 Kawasaki KZ 1000 police bike, put a 3 wheeler swing arm and paddle tires on it and had a pretty bad sand drag bike for the times. A good friend of mine had a Honda 500 dirt bike,air cooled, and converted it to a paddle tired 3 wheeler. That thing was bad too when you could get it to start.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like many of you, I'm a car nut. Considering I work in the business, that can be a bad thing.. I've made plenty of on the spot purchases on cars we've taken in trade, simply cause I "had to have" them.
Like the '77 911S with 22K one owner miles on it, the custom '89 C10 shortbox, the total count is somewhere north of 40 cars since I was 16. That # would jump drastically if you included motorcyles haha!

But if we're talking about the most unique vehicle? This one would most definitely be it.

My dad bought it for me when I was 7, which means here in a month or so, I'll have owned it 50 years. I keep saying I'm gonna start on it, but the cost to just get the ball rolling is pretty large..

It's a 1947 Crosley roundside pickup. The roundside makes it pretty rare, not all that valuable, but rare for sure.
The idea is to turn it into a mini pro-touring pickup. LS power etc..
The second pic is a rendering a buddy of mine did.. it pretty much captures what I'd like to turn it into.

Oh... and for scale, the wheelbase is 80" (yes, 80 inches) the width is 47" at the door skins.
It's small.

Crosley002 IMG 2973

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!