• Thread starter Mountain Whiskey
  • Start date
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you want to press to work on a full size heavy duty pickup you might want a better one than $45 can get you.
You got a point. Hell, my bud down the road has 4 different presses. Don't even know why I was asking. I don't like to work on anything anymore anyway. Can't say anything more. That's kinda like, like, like, like.

• Haha
Reactions: Mountain Whiskey
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
So @Todd627 and @Bayouownbeer - I've got some bearings to do this weekend, and you guys like this better than a press.

My question is, how do you hold the hub while you're tightening that big c-clamp? Seems like it would be a nightmare, even trying to put it in a vise...
I think you meant @ToddACimer 👍🏼

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So @Todd627 and @Bayouownbeer - I've got some bearings to do this weekend, and you guys like this better than a press.

My question is, how do you hold the hub while you're tightening that big c-clamp? Seems like it would be a nightmare, even trying to put it in a vise...
I have a welding table and I clamped under the table edge and used the large spacer to press the bearing out of the hub as I recall. I'll look for a picture

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at this photo I would guess I had the largest diameter press adapter on the table, then set the hub with the snap ring side down and then hooked the bj press under the table with the screw up and a small adapter on the inboard side of the hub. The bearing would have pressed out of the knuckle and into the large OD spacer. As I recall it was a quick and easy process.

Don't forget to remove the snap ring

Screenshot 20240430 135801

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It’s been so long I don’t recall. I most likly used a vice.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s been so long I don’t recall. I most likly used a vice.
Looking at this photo I would guess I had the largest diameter press adapter on the table, then set the hub with the snap ring side down and then hooked the bj press under the table with the screw up and a small adapter on the inboard side of the hub. The bearing would have pressed out of the knuckle and into the large OD spacer. As I recall it was a quick and easy process.

Don't forget to remove the snap ring
Ok thanks. I'll give it a try and report back.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok thanks. I'll give it a try and report back.
U know the rulz, we'll need pitchers - :cool:

Because, for the life of me, I can't see how that c-clamp would work. o_O

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
U know the rulz, we'll need pitchers - :cool:

Because, for the life of me, I can't see how that c-clamp would work. o_O
I'm going to borrow a kit from AutoZone to try.

I also think I'm going to remove the axle by disconnecting an A-arm from the frame bolts and swinging the hub away from the axle. Then I'll reconnect the arm so it'll hold the hub for me.

That's the preliminary plan, anyway...we'll see how it works out.

Reactions: CID
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to borrow a kit from AutoZone to try.

I also think I'm going to remove the axle by disconnecting an A-arm from the frame bolts and swinging the hub away from the axle. Then I'll reconnect the arm so it'll hold the hub for me.

That's the preliminary plan, anyway...we'll see how it works out.
I swapped mine without even removing the lower ball joint. Just pulled the upper ball joint, tie rod and lower arm.

Reactions: Coeus
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer I have no idea how you even used this thing. The c clamp isn't long enough to stack up the spacers I need to push the bearing.

I don't have a bunch of stuff around that I can swap in that's shorter, either.

Looks like they go to the press...

Reactions: Coeus
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer I have no idea how you even used this thing. The c clamp isn't long enough to stack up the spacers I need to push the bearing.

I don't have a bunch of stuff around that I can swap in that's shorter, either.

Looks like they go to the press...
Pretty sure that's why I used the table top, that allowed me to hook under the table top, skip the BJ press multi diameter adapter and push the bearing into the big cup

Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took my hubs off and ran by the shop that does work on my car when it's difficult. I asked if he would press them for me, he tossed them on his cart and commented "let me finish my crap so i can get to yours..."

They cleaned them up in the parts washer and swapped the new bearings for free.

Of course when I was taking it apart, I see both the upper ball joint and the tie rod end on the driver's side were shot. Seemed like a good excuse. I ordered new dropped arms with ball joints in them. What the heck, the last owner did the rears so it made sense to match!

Work cut out for me now. The brake calipers have seen better days too. One has the cap busted off where the slide bolt goes. So new calipers, bearings, tie rod ends, control arms and to top it off I see the way they mounted the rear shocks the reservoir hits the arm. It has a dent in the bottom. It looks like I can swap sides and they will clear everything.

My lawn isn't ever going to get mowed! 😆

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I took my hubs off and ran by the shop that does work on my car when it's difficult. I asked if he would press them for me, he tossed them on his cart and commented "let me finish my crap so i can get to yours..."

They cleaned them up in the parts washer and swapped the new bearings for free.

Of course when I was taking it apart, I see both the upper ball joint and the tie rod end on the driver's side were shot. Seemed like a good excuse. I ordered new dropped arms with ball joints in them. What the heck, the last owner did the rears so it made sense to match!

Work cut out for me now. The brake calipers have seen better days too. One has the cap busted off where the slide bolt goes. So new calipers, bearings, tie rod ends, control arms and to top it off I see the way they mounted the rear shocks the reservoir hits the arm. It has a dent in the bottom. It looks like I can swap sides and they will clear everything.

My lawn isn't ever going to get mowed! 😆
I had my rear shocks on the wrong side for 1 ride. Smashed both my brake lines. Lucky it didn't damage the shock reservoirs.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had my rear shocks on the wrong side for 1 ride. Smashed both my brake lines. Lucky it didn't damage the shock reservoirs.
Yea, the reservoirs on mine are dented on the bottom, but they aren’t leaking. I'm good with it. I just hope swapping them side to side is the solution. Guess I'll see for sure when I get the first one off.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!