P1000 Wheels out of alignment

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
I have 167 miles on my p1000-5 and just noticed the wheels are not aligned. when my steering wheel is straight the driver side tire seems to be straight but the other side is toed out pretty bad. I haven't hit anything and cant understand why its like that. Seems to be the same amount of thread showing on both tie rod ends. Does anyone know the best way to fix this, or is there a link to show me how to do it correctly. My tire seems to be wearing out funny.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WHAT UP BIG PERM!lol sorry man couldn't resist the "Friday" reference. Welcome to the club!
I adjusted and adjusted on an old Honda 4 wheeler one time... turns out the tires on one side were aired up higher. Check that first!lol

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
WHAT UP BIG PERM!lol sorry man couldn't resist the "Friday" reference. Welcome to the club!
I adjusted and adjusted on an old Honda 4 wheeler one time... turns out the tires on one side were aired up higher. Check that first!lol
I have 167 miles on my p1000-5 and just noticed the wheels are not aligned. when my steering wheel is straight the driver side tire seems to be straight but the other side is toed out pretty bad. I haven't hit anything and cant understand why its like that. Seems to be the same amount of thread showing on both tie rod ends. Does anyone know the best way to fix this, or is there a link to show me how to do it correctly. My tire seems to be wearing out funny.

OK I will check that, but im pretty sure the pressure is all good. Stock tires I forgot to mention. My son set up my email lol he is littleworm

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you need to adjust the tie rods, you just loosen the lock nuts where the ends meet the center rod. The center rod should have a square pattern near the center that will allow you turn it with a wrench (10mm for the center rod and 17mm for the end locknuts?). One of the ends is reverse threaded so turning the center rod will toe in or out depending on which direction you turn it. Google "alignment" and you can find some ideas for a simple string jig to know when you get the alignment correct.
FYI, the home page has a link for the P1K shop manual ($110). Highly recommended if you work on your own rig.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
also, if you're running the stock deluxe big horns, I highly recommend 20psi, rather than the factory 14. I bumped mine up and got much better handling and less tire roll on steep side slopes.

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Got it done today, wasn't that hard to do.right wheel was toed out bad. The tire is cupped pretty bad. I guess I should have checked this when I got it but never imagined a brand new machine would be this bad out of alignment. Oh well gonna put new tires on it anyway, just wasn't ready quite yet.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it done today, wasn't that hard to do.right wheel was toed out bad. The tire is cupped pretty bad. I guess I should have checked this when I got it but never imagined a brand new machine would be this bad out of alignment. Oh well gonna put new tires on it anyway, just wasn't ready quite yet.
glad it didn't fight you too badly.