P1000 When a snow plow isnt enough

K

Kelldog

Dec 2, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What do you use to back up your pioneer snow plow when the pioneer isnt enough for snow? How often is your pioneer used to handle all the snow removal

wondering if a tractor box blade with removable wings can be a back up to the pioneer plow. Hard to find removable wings though

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We don't get alot of snow here and I haven't really had to use my "backup" but we have a Kubota 3301 with loader.

Our pioneer 1000-5 has a Denali Pro blade from the HondaSXS store. We got to use it a couple times last year and it just pushes snow like crazy. Never missed a beat. That was with stock big horns. This year we will have the SuperATV Intimidators to try out.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't use a backup. I've had a KFI Cycle Country 72" blade for almost 8 years. It worked great on my Teryx 4 and was a simple new mount under my P1K5LE. The mount does not reduce your ground clearance and it's easy to connect/drop the blade. The push tubes are very strong and I've hit ice banks at 15-20 mph (instant full stop over the steering wheel) and everything survived intact.
As others mention above, a truck mounted plow will have more weight/push power. But I've had situations where I would have been stuck in a truck, so I was better off getting out of trouble in my UTV.
The first photo is my Teryx on the trailer in mild snow. The second photo shows the sheet ice underneath the snow on a different date after plowing. The grade is steeper than it looks and I wouldn't have been able to get up and down the ice in a truck (sans chains).

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After my Denali plow I have a 8’ Blower on a tractor with loader and a smaller skid steer.

some times I will windrow the snow pile and use the big blower to make it go bye-bye.

last year was so thin on snow I rarely used the plow and never started the tractor. The year before I ran the big blower a ton.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a plow on my former ATV. Worked okay but sometimes a problem finding places to stack snow and time consuming with a longer driveway. My Kubota has a 63" front blower I lined with UHMW sheet (same stuff being used on skid pans). This reduces friction so things don't get clogged often with snow is sticky, plus the snow is thrown further. Here I'm clearing a neighbor's driveway with light snow and another neighbor took the video (I didn't know he was taking it):

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
For years I used a BCS 853 Berta blower once the windrows got too high for the ATV to push back (that used to mean pretty high, but I’m becoming less insane as the years go by). Most snows it worked pretty well to plow to the middle and then blow out that middle windrow with the blower. On occasion we’d have a snowfall so thick and wet (up to 2’ overnight) that the ATV couldn’t move it. Then it was snowblower back and forth taking biggest bites possible, ATV to cleanup, then one last snowblower pass on the middle windrow (can’t plow snow anywhere with an ATV when banks are 3+’ high).

Recognizing what snow/temperature conditions are best for plowing and snowblowing can make the difference between a lot of work and impossible with these tools. It takes a lot of time on a mile long driveway even when done right.

I like the blower so much the plan is upgrade to a 7’ wide one on CTL with Cinchtrax. But that will be the primary driveway machine and I’m hoping not to put a plow on the new P520.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a plow on my former ATV. Worked okay but sometimes a problem finding places to stack snow and time consuming with a longer driveway. My Kubota has a 63" front blower I lined with UHMW sheet (same stuff being used on skid pans). This reduces friction so things don't get clogged often with snow is sticky, plus the snow is thrown further. Here I'm clearing a neighbor's driveway with light snow and another neighbor took the video (I didn't know he was taking it):

For a minute if it was black snow you would be tractor pulling :p that looks awesome!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh my, that nice white roof seems to be sliding off your house!
Thats my cabin lol. But yes it tends to do that with the metal roof with that pitch. Looks like curtains lol

colin215213

colin215213

Old Hippie
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 2 back ups, F350 & F250. Pioneer with KFI 66" is much easier on a long narrow driveway and will get to places the larger blades won't. Work smarter, not harder....

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
20190302 163058

We get a little snow here & there....lol. No pics but we've got a front mount blower on the Kubota. We get too much to plow with a ATV/UTV, used to do with with a plow truck but the blower makes it much cleaner and tears up the yard less.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!