P500 When it's time for 4 wheel drive....

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Do you guys stop and put it in 4WD as suggested by Honda, or do you put it in on the move? The reason I'm asking is because I've seen some YouTube videos where they don't stop, but just engage it on the move. I'm assuming as long as you're not spinning it wouldn't hurt anything, but wanted to ask how you all do it.

Thanks!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you guys stop and put it in 4WD as suggested by Honda, or do you put it in on the move? The reason I'm asking is because I've seen some YouTube videos where they don't stop, but just engage it on the move. I'm assuming as long as you're not spinning it wouldn't hurt anything, but wanted to ask how you all do it.

Thanks!
I just ensure that the tires are at or very close to the same speed and shift.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always stop to engage, but I am old school and try to anticipate if I will be need 4x4 where I am heading.
I with you on that.

Reactions: rtn001
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
its spring loaded. for 4wd i let off the gas and shift it. for 4 lock i stop and turn the wheel both ways. as long as the tires arent spinning at different speeds 4wd on the fly no problem

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I liked the 4x4 on the fly on my Rancher... but with the P500 I stop, or sometimes coast/go straight and pop it in.

advertisement
L

Lburou

Dec 3, 2019
Dallas/Fort Worth area, USA
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 Owner's manual says, "You should change drive modes only when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is idling...Changing drive modes while the vehicle is moving could damage the drivetrain." See page 37 of the manual for more info. HTH :)

Reactions: rtn001 and Arizona
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
The P5 Owner's manual says, "You should change drive modes only when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is idling...Changing drive modes while the vehicle is moving could damage the drivetrain." See page 37 of the manual for more info. HTH :)
drive modes is forward reverse neutral.

L

Lburou

Dec 3, 2019
Dallas/Fort Worth area, USA
Ownership

1. 500
drive modes is forward reverse neutral.

Not trying to be combative here, but if you look at the manual...The drive mode selector lever is pictured either in 2WD or 4WD. The manufacturer recommends that selector be moved at idle, while stopped. It is tempting to shift on the fly, but I'll go by the manual's recommendations. :)

Reactions: rtn001 and Arizona
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Not trying to be combative here, but if you look at the manual...The drive mode selector lever is pictured either in 2WD or 4WD. The manufacturer recommends that selector be moved at idle, while stopped. It is tempting to shift on the fly, but I'll go by the manual's recommendations. :)
Welcome to the forum to you and all the newer members. Don’t worry about being combative here, and none taken. Members are not shy group and love going back and forth on opinions. Some discussions get lively but all in fun. I remember asking the same question, as well as the shift between manual/auto on the fly (2017+). But be warned, this forum can lead to busting the budget with mods.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I will not argue with the manual, but keep in mind, it's a Honda, and possibly one of the finest engineered products made. As an example, the manual states you are to "adjust" the valves at various time periods and I suspect the vast majority of Honda owners never do this and see little to no issues, but rather poor performance. I have yet to see a post here or anywhere when using "reasonable" engagement (slow down, wheels not spinning, etc.) to cause any harm shifting on the fly and that's not to say the right way of doing it wouldn't be to stop and switch either...

D

Duckhunt

Your basically connecting two shafts together. There is absolutely no harm in connecting them or any two aligned shafts together when they are both turning the same rate of speed therefore will not have negative or positive forces on themselves or connected components. The easiest and most obvious way to make sure they are going the same speed is when the speed is zero. Easy as that. Honda is right when they say damage COULD result when vehicle is moving. It's just that damage CAN'T occur when stopped (in relation to shifting 2wd/4wd).

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum to you and all the newer members. Don’t worry about being combative here, and none taken. Members are not shy group and love going back and forth on opinions. Some discussions get lively but all in fun. I remember asking the same question, as well as the shift between manual/auto on the fly (2017+). But be warned, this forum can lead to busting the budget with mods.
HA!

advertisement