Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are right i got HDPE. Sorry for that. It seems like the same as what the stock honda skid plate
That came on the machine is made from but now not sure about that. Guess I will find out how it holds up.
No worries. HDPE is still a good product. It will still do a good job.

I talked to a guy that's been working with these plastics for 28 years. I explained what I was doing and he had a lot of great info.

UHMW and HDPE are from the same family and both are impact resistant. He said "if you held them both to a belt sander the HDPE would go away pretty quickly and the UHMW would take a lot of work"

HDPE is about half the price when looking at big sheets. So, is UHMW twice as good?.... the answer depends on what you're doing. If you will be utilizing your skid plate a lot, the answer is yes. If you want occasional protection and don't intend to rely on it regularly, HDPE will probably get you by just fine.

He did say that UHMW is hands down a superior product for this type of application. You just have to decide what you need for your world. I'm not bashing HDPE it is a good product as well.

I was on the fence between the 2 and chose UHMW. I prefer to buy once, cry once. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I talked to a guy that's been working with these plastics for 28 years. I explained what I was doing and he had a lot of great info.

UHMW and HDPE are from the same family and both are impact resistant. He said "if you held them both to a belt sander the HDPE would go away pretty quickly and the UHMW would take a lot of work"

HDPE is about half the price when looking at big sheets. So, is UHMW twice as good?.... the answer depends on what you're doing. If you will be utilizing your skid plate a lot, the answer is yes. If you want occasional protection and don't intend to rely on it regularly, HDPE will probably get you by just fine.

He did say that UHMW is hands down a superior product for this type of application. You just have to decide what you need for your world. I'm not bashing HDPE it is a good product as well.

I was on the fence between the 2 and chose UHMW. I prefer to buy once, cry once. Just my 2 cents.

I already have the piece of 1/4 inch HDPE

If I had know there was a difference I would have gone with the UHMW. But have had the piece of HDPE since last year. After I get it cut I was planning on putting it under the oem skid plate that came on my pioneer If I knew for sure that the oem was UHMW then I for sure would put the HDPE above it. Don’t know how to find out what Honda is using and was not planning on putting holes in it like the oem has unless they help in letting heat out. I will just drop skid plate when I have to change fluids.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If I had know there was a difference I would have gone with the UHMW. But have had the piece of HDPE since last year. After I get it cut I was planning on putting it under the oem skid plate that came on my pioneer If I knew for sure that the oem was UHMW then I for sure would put the HDPE above it. Don’t know how to find out what Honda is using and was not planning on putting holes in it like the oem has unless they help in letting heat out. I will just drop skid plate when I have to change fluids.

I ran mine without the holes and definitely noticed more heat. I've since added all the factory holes for both cooling and maintenance

Reactions: JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Don't sweat it too much. HDPE is still a good material to use and you already had it on hand. Give it a shot.

As for the heat, I have a 3 seat so i've removed most of the plastic covers under the bed. That has helped let heat out. I also have a 3" bilge fan but I'm going to add another fan I think.

Reactions: JTW
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't sweat it too much. HDPE is still a good material to use and you already had it on hand. Give it a shot.

As for the heat, I have a 3 seat so i've removed most of the plastic covers under the bed. That has helped let heat out. I also have a 3" bilge fan but I'm going to add another fan I think.
I think once summer gets here I will be adding a bilge fan also. After reading others posts I will put holes in it to match oem skid plate holes. Guess Honda must of had a reason to put so many holes in it. Thanks everyone.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
HDPE works fine for me.
I used 3/8" and its held up fine on the rocks around here for the last 2000 miles. My riding buddys figured I went through the ice to show it off to them. Haahaa
I made it in 3 pieces for easy service and removal. Edges that meet are overlapped and haven't given any trouble from sliding on rocks. Used jigsaw,router ,and Forsner bits for the holes.

I followed this thread @solrus
P500 - SKID PLATE DIY SOLRUS VERSION :)

20170212 104747

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
D53184E3 6A75 4EB1 AC6E 7B811F5E68D8
HDPE works fine for me.
I used 3/8" and its held up fine on the rocks around here for the last 2000 miles. My riding buddys figured I went through the ice to show it off to them. Haahaa
I made it in 3 pieces for easy service and removal. Edges that meet are overlapped and haven't given any trouble from sliding on rocks. Used jigsaw,router ,and Forsner bits for the holes.

View attachment 69498

HDPE works fine for me.

View attachment 69498
87E0F9F3 25B5 4094 801D 21B4D1A63838 311AECD5 B9F1 4EDD B012 E24ABCC01F54 7A899981 331D 4860 9DAF 3EDBABCBF0DE

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got out my router and jig saw this morning and cut out piece to match original skid plate will sometime make one that will protect more area. Now have to go and get longer bolts and sandwich two together then find a place to ride that is not a harvested bean or corn field. ‍♂️

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HDPE works fine for me.

View attachment 69498

advertisement
P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
HDPE works fine for me.

View attachment 69498
That picture is hilarious, only because I've done that too. Except it was on a Honda 185 3-wheeler and I superman'd over the handle bars and got soaking wet. Springtime riding, good times.

Reactions: elkguide