Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You obviously never had a Ford with a brake shake, Ford rotors use to be junk, replace them with aftermarket and never look back.
I had a new truck, can't remember what brand, that if you did a panic stop would warp the rotors every time with no trailer, I think it was a GM, cause I've only had one new Ford diesel, bad experience, I'm sure Ford is a lot better now or they would be out of business.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have Pep Boys do the brakes. They have a set of ceramic pads that last 3x longer than organis or semi metallic pads and wind dust your wheels.

If you want to increase rotor life try doing a crypt treatment on them. Take a large cooler, put a layer of dry ice down, lay your rotors on the dry ice directly, no stacking or over lapping then, them cover with dry ice, at least 8-10 inches. Close the lid, seal as best you can with duct tape. Wait until the dry ice is all gone and the rotors are back up to room temp, usually 3-4 days and then take them out and install. I usually give them a very light turn just to make sure they are still true.

Increases their life by 3 to 5 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have Pep Boys do the brakes. They have a set of ceramic pads that last 3x longer than organis or semi metallic pads and wind dust your wheels.

If you want to increase rotor life try doing a crypt treatment on them. Take a large cooler, put a layer of dry ice down, lay your rotors on the dry ice directly, no stacking or over lapping then, them cover with dry ice, at least 8-10 inches. Close the lid, seal as best you can with duct tape. Wait until the dry ice is all gone and the rotors are back up to room temp, usually 3-4 days and then take them out and install. I usually give them a very light turn just to make sure they are still true.

Increases their life by 3 to 5 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crap I'll do my whole truck!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a customer who had 5 or 6 Crew Cab Ford duallies /99-03. They were 2 wd 7.3 XLT Lariats. They had camper shells and hauled 2500 to 3500 pounds of electrical components, most of the time they hauled 4 grown men. Every 35,000 to 50,000 we had to replace pads front and rear and replaced the front rotors due to small cracks all the way around, we tried to turn the very first pair but experienced fretting over the cracks. All the trucks received at least 1 new engine between 200,000 and 300,000 miles.
@sugarray, if you got 52,000 out of the original pads I would drive it anther 10,000 miles and replace front and rear pads only if you have no shimmy or funny noises. Brake wear is relative to driver style and amount of load that is being stopped.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!