P700 Which oil is best for a 700

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
hello, will synthetic oil help with transmission shifting issues and if so what brand to use, thanks

The Honda oil is a synthetic blend. I don’t necessarily use Honda just a synthetic or blend. In our climate I generally use a 0-40 or 0-30 as it falls within the Honda op specs for our ambient temp. And the 0 makes the tourque converter work better on the cooler temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey Bigcat is your Pioneer brand new? If so, using it will help with transmission/shifting issues. Seriously, they break in and quiet down. Along with the rear diff. Now if you really want to know about the oils.....do yourself a favor and do some searches on this forum. Trust me, it's been discussed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
hello, will synthetic oil help with transmission shifting issues and if so what brand to use, thanks
What are the "shifting issues"?

Synthetic helps reduce the warm up time in cold, and does make the shifts a tad smoother. As @Baldeagle said, thinner is better in the 700. BUT...

...if you're having slippage issues when fully warm, the synthetic will probably make it worse, and then you'll be tempted to go around claiming synthetic won't work in the 700.

Reactions: Mudwing
B

Bigcat

Oct 27, 2018
North port,al
Ownership

1. 700-2
thanks everyone, shifting issue is it shifts great 1 to 2 nd but seems to struggle shifting 2 nd to 3rd when not completely warmed up Has around 380 miles on it now, did first oil change as scheduled, when completely warm it shifts ok

Reactions: Farmer and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
thanks everyone, shifting issue is it shifts great 1 to 2 nd but seems to struggle shifting 2 nd to 3rd when not completely warmed up Has around 380 miles on it now, did first oil change as scheduled, when completely warm it shifts ok
Verify the oil level. Using the procedure listed in the owner's manual is a MUST. Also, it's well known the this engine does well with the oil a tiny bit over full.

But yes, the synthetic will help.

Reactions: Mudwing
B

Bigcat

Oct 27, 2018
North port,al
Ownership

1. 700-2
Verify the oil level. Using the procedure listed in the owner's manual is a MUST. Also, it's well known the this engine does well with the oil a tiny bit over full.

Yes, did double check that,looking at people's post the Honda hp4 has good revues

Reactions: Farmer and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, did double check that,looking at people's post the Honda hp4 has good revues
It is good oil. That said, there are lots of good oils. If you want to run it just because you like it, that's great. But don't do it because you feel that you have to run Honda oil because of some magical Honda ingredients.

Reactions: Farmer and William
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil is oil as long as it meets the requirements in the manual... I swapped to valvoline atv oil from Walmart. Under $4 a quart. Works great. I have found the 700 likes to warm up before riding... I always let the dash read 1 bar on the temp gauge before I go. Most of the time...

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With that being said, I am swapping to valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil from Walmart next time just to try it... less than $7 a quart. I hate dealerships!

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB

I don’t think the procedure in the owners manual is real clear. I had a long time Honda mechanic show me. Get the engine warm and move the unit a bit. Then shut off leave for about 30 seconds for oil to settle and check. Usually takes about 1/2 quart more oil. Good success with that method.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don’t think the procedure in the owners manual is real clear. I had a long time Honda mechanic show me. Get the engine warm and move the unit a bit. Then shut off leave for about 30 seconds for oil to settle and check. Usually takes about 1/2 quart more oil. Good success with that method.

Straight from the Factory service manual...

From cold:
Start the engine and let it run 5 minutes above 50 degrees F. If below 50, add another 5 minutes (IE- 10 minutes).
Stop the engine, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then check. Do NOT screw the dipstick in.

It also states: "Do not snap the throttle while idling or the oil level reading will be inaccurate"...which to me means don't "move the unit a bit".

I messed around with it for like a week of cold starts, and the time frames and throttle treatment DO make a difference in the oil level reading...though at this point, I can't remember which way.
Before i got anal about checking it the same way every time by the book, i had a few "oh s***" moments when checking the oil and having it appear to be using some or overfilled...until i did it the right way.

Reactions: Mudwing and William
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Straight from the Factory service manual...

From cold:
Start the engine and let it run 5 minutes above 50 degrees F. If below 50, add another 5 minutes (IE- 10 minutes).
Stop the engine, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then check. Do NOT screw the dipstick in.

It also states: "Do not snap the throttle while idling or the oil level reading will be inaccurate"...which to me means don't "move the unit a bit".

I messed around with it for like a week of cold starts, and the time frames and throttle treatment DO make a difference in the oil level reading...though at this point, I can't remember which way.
Before i got anal about checking it the same way every time by the book, i had a few "oh s***" moments when checking the oil and having it appear to be using some or overfilled...until i did it the right way.
Same here... If you do it by the manual, you did it correctly...

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been using rotella t4 for the last 2000 miles with no issue but I think I’m gone go to this next oil change.
9F4E7798 33B1 460C AC88 84E453913F01

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been using rotella t4 for the last 2000 miles with no issue but I think I’m gone go to this next oil change.View attachment 113170
I use super tech syn in my vehicles, but haven’t seen that at my Walmart... definitely will use it if they have it next time! What’s weird is my wife’s car was using oil with Mobil 1 syn, then I swapped to super tech syn and it quit...

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use super tech syn in my vehicles, but haven’t seen that at my Walmart... definitely will use it if they have it next time! What’s weird is my wife’s car was using oil with Mobil 1 syn, then I swapped to super tech syn and it quit...
Nice. I use supertech syn in my tacoma, my wife’s Pilot, in my Kawasaki lawn mower, generator, and even my pressure washer! Now it’s gone be in the pioneer as well. Warren makes good oil.

Reactions: William
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice. I use supertech syn in my tacoma, my wife’s Pilot, in my Kawasaki lawn mower, generator, and even my pressure washer! Now it’s gone be in the pioneer as well. Warren makes good oil.

It must be new bc super tech atv is not on the Walmart website yet...

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
put alot of miles on the valvoline atv oil in my quads and anything i work on for people, never had an issue.
havent seen that before either, they normally have the chepest price on valvoline atv, thats what i got for this time.
napa full syn for cars is rated pretty good and when its a sale you can get it 19 for 5qt jug, made by valvoline, normally get reg valv or syn for the vehicles, get the best mileage with those.

Reactions: 1rooster

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!