100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like windshields and other accessories, there seems to be many winches offered for the Pioneer 500. KFI, Superwinch & Warn among others I'm sure.
So, what brand should I get?
I saw that superwinch is made in China but is it still quality?
I'm not sure what #lb pull I should buy either.
Does it need a separate battery?
I'm pretty sure I want to get one with a synthetic line for safety and weight. Is that something I should upgrade later and just get a steel cable for now?
Does the wiring and control switch come included?
Will I need to get a specific mount made for each company's winch?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Depends..wat your using it for....
my Warn 2500..mounted in lower
slot...I felt lower to the ground...
better pull.....p5...little over 1k..
up to you...alot of examples
here...that's for sure.

Reactions: 100Acre
J

Jshell3

I just bought a SuperWarn KFI by Viper. "Champion Series" from Harbor Freight. 50,000lbs.

And what I do know...
(I have asked this same question recently)

• Winch pull sb 1.5x your vehicle weight.
  • Rope spools will generally be "wider" to accommodate the same length of rope as wire. (And not all Aftermarket Bumpers will fit the extra width.
  • Dual Battery is better if you can.
  • Clockable winch gives you more mounting options. / locations.
  • "Something about longer bolts"
Hope that helps!

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Those who ride in alot of
water/mud...higher location
has been prefered...Not alot
of that here..few options
of placement...& a s*** load
of....sandwinches...to choose
from...
don't f--king ask for mayo....

Reactions: 100Acre and Jshell3
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
3500 lb pull
Any winch you mentioned there
Most company's have there own mount
I use a Viper Max ,Works well and I like the company

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Reactions: 100Acre and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Actually I feel mine is just a weighted
...ordament. ..cause only used it. .
..once in 2 1/2 years...
but..if I do...it's there...

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually I feel mine is just a weighted
...ordament. ..cause only used it. .
..once in 2 1/2 years...
but..if I do...it's there...
Totally understand. I actually have a Warn VL 10,000 on my truck. Only used it a small number of times but when I did, it was great to have it. No better way to pull a dead tractor from a ditch. I just don't know squat about UTV applications or products. This forum is a blessing and a curse. Blessing for the help, ideas and inspiration and a curse because I just keep seeing more things I want to do. Lol.

My daily driver...

IMG 0367

Last edited:
advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Totally understand. I actually have a Warn VL 10,000 on my truck. Only used it a small number of times but when I did, it was great to have it. No better way to pull a dead tractor from a ditch. I just don't know squat about UTV applications or products. This forum is a blessing and a curse. Blessing for the help, ideas and inspiration and a curse because I just keep seeing more things I want to do. Lol.

My daily driver...

View attachment 42787
There's enough guys here...
that will share there knowledge. .
ideas...

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
After doing a lot of searching and researching on this site, I ordered a KFI mount and Superwinch Terra 35 from Amazon. The KFI mount is the tits, bolts on easy and rock solid. Really think I will like the Terra 35 as well from all the reviews I've seen.

Amazon.com: Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 3500lbs/1591kg single line pull with roller fairlead, handlebar mnt toggle, handheld remote: Automotive

+1. Super value. I got the 4500 but the only difference that I've been able to ascertain is the winch gearing, all other specs seem to be the same.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the Superwinch Terra 3500 synthetic rope. It's on a KFI mount in the upper position. I've used that winch alot in 6 months and it has performed very well. I will NEVER go back to wire rope. The synthetic line is light, easy to handle and doesn't cut your hands. 3,500 lbs has been entirely adequate for the pulls I've done. I do carry a snatch block incase I need to double up. Alot of my pulls have been at the end of my 50 foot reach and beyond so I carry and have used 75 feet of 5/16" marine braid. I haven't felt the winch heat up even when we used it on 6 consecutive full-reel pulls. This week I used the winch to pull an atv up a steep rocky hill after it rolled. Again, the distance was around 75 feet so used the winch extender.
So... go 3,500 lbs minimum and get the synthetic!
Al
20170430 124207 HDR

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sometimes I can be a utter ding dongo_O I forgot we had a Warn 3700 winch installed on the Kubota RTV. I possibly forgot because it never got used in 8 years. Today I took it off the RTV and I'll need to call Warn I guess to see if the current mount for my P5 is compatible with the winch. This would be awesome if it'll work. I'll most likely replace the steel cable with synthetic if it'll work together. The current cable is a bit rusty. SCORE!
PS What looks funny about the kubota rtv?
IMG 0005
Fullsizeoutput a51
IMG 0007

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!