Winch Wizard

R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
If I could go back in time, I would have installed my own winch. I wouldn't have let the dealer install the factory warn winch in the lower crammed position. But I can't. So I bought a new bumper from EMP and installed the factory warn winch on top the bumper. Much better! But this warn winch made for Honda, doesn't have a place to attach a fairlead. Shouldn't that be standard? Anyone with any ideas? I haven't used the winch in this new setting but I wonder if I may get some unwanted behaviour. Welcome your advice, as I have thought about just fixing my original problem, with a new winch. Dbcfa04709369b6a3c2583a82a63dc7f

Sent from my SM-F711W using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

If I could go back in time, I would have installed my own winch. I wouldn't have let the dealer install the factory warn winch in the lower crammed position. But I can't. So I bought a new bumper from EMP and installed the factory warn winch on top the bumper. Much better! But this warn winch made for Honda, doesn't have a place to attach a fairlead. Shouldn't that be standard? Anyone with any ideas? I haven't used the winch in this new setting but I wonder if I may get some unwanted behaviour. Welcome your advice, as I have thought about just fixing my original problem, with a new winch.View attachment 356118

They design it to be used with the bumper mounted fairlead.

Alot of cheaper winches come with the universal mount plate that includes a fairlead mount, but they always get tossed when mounting using the model specific mount plate.

D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
I wouldn't have let the dealer install the factory warn winch in the lower crammed position.

I'm soon going to install a winch and was thinking of the factory setup.

What did you dislike about it?

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same question. Did you get an answer? What did you end up doing? I've got a quote to have one installed but haven't moved forward yet.
Factory winch is a Warn, which is a good winch but expensive. When you get into that price range there are other options. Superwinch, KFI, Viper... Factory location is down low in the front bumper, which is good for a low pull but not ideal for keeping your winch out of the mud and crap. Not an ideal location for plowing either, if you're thinking of using it for that. Just my 2c.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A high winch will try to lever your wheels deeper into the mud, whereas a low winch will tend to lift them, if you can get at it in all the slop.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Looking at EMP's website it looks like the pictures of that bumper with a winch mounted to it show EMP's winch mounting plate in there, but it does not say on the page that the winch plate is needed to mount a winch with fairlead.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!