BOX1

Who hammock camps?

J

JTW

So.. I'm treading into new territory. Growing up and running around we always camped out under the stars or in a tent. The whole idea of hammock camping I've always liked.. we just never did it. Now I find myself curious and contempling dabbling. I've been reading and researching the last couple days.. I know more now than I did. But I've yet to sleep in one. Prolly going to dig the ENO out tonight and string it up in the basement to give it a try. So, what gear are you using and what suggestions might you have?

Reactions: JACKAL
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it last fall on a ride. Slept well, except I didn't have any bottom padding and I got cold.
Recommend a Thermarest or similar for a bottom padding. Tarp on a link kept the dew off. Will do it again sometime.

J

JTW

Did it last fall on a ride. Slept well, except I didn't have any bottom padding and I got cold.
Recommend a Thermarest or similar for a bottom padding. Tarp on a link kept the dew off. Will do it again sometime.
I think I'm going to give it a try on the September ride. May toss a tent in just in case though!

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All I got is some pics. I didn't try it.

021af0b0f8c1c49b0e83442a550311f9

E858772bea23cfb3cf9da718769bbbec

0c5d67ad233878c0ee7a80239dc50e00

I think this was Hondasxs and scott

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is kinda fun. I've done it a few times. The last time I was out in the mountains in Colorado and just got settled for the night at that point a black bear sow with a cub came walking right near my campsite. Once they had passed I packed up and slept in the cab of my SUV.

I started calling it my bear burrito and haven't really used it since. If I were camping someplace without bears I would do it but you are a bit more confined and should a bear take interest and any amount of "interest" isn't good with a thin layer of material between you and a bear.

J

JTW

It is kinda fun. I've done it a few times. The last time I was out in the mountains in Colorado and just got settled for the night at that point a black bear sow with a cub came walking right near my campsite. Once they had passed I packed up and slept in the cab of my SUV.

I started calling it my bear burrito and haven't really used it since. If I were camping someplace without bears I would do it but you are a bit more confined and should a bear take interest and any amount of "interest" isn't good with a thin layer of material between you and a bear.
PüSSY!!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most hammock tents have a mosquito net and a rain fly. Just need a blanket or pad on bottom for insulation.

I had a Hennessey Hammock but can't find it, Amazon has a few that would work in the $75 range.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
i used to sleep in mine some, even had it set up in my room in college. you definitely need some kind of insulation under you though. if you have a double eno you can wrap yourself up in it where you dont really need a bug net but a rain fly would be smart for the dew.

FB IMG 1433467083874

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Used them from the worst storms I have been in to the jungles of Nicaragua and slept like a baby. Warbonet black bird, whoopies for the suspension , has a foot box so you can lay almost flat, skeeter net on the hammock with a small shelf (pouch kind of) to keep your stuff. Sleep like a dream. Invest in the right hammock under quilt over quilt and tarp and you will wonder why you ever slept in a tent. Unless you wanna sex, can't sex in them worth a s***.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable for the whole night unless you can get those really flat stretched across between the trees - seems like you can't move around much. I am game to try one and I enjoy a cold one in a hammock but not sure about 6-8 hours in one

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable for the whole night unless you can get those really flat stretched across between the trees - seems like you can't move around much. I am game to try one and I enjoy a cold one in a hammock but not sure about 6-8 hours in one

Not a tempurpedic, but it beats the cold hard damp ground every time. There's always that one rock that finds my ribs.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Definitely better than the ground but I can't sleep good on one without passing out drunk or dead tired.If you sleep on your side or stomach it's tough to get to sleep.But in the Jungle with fire ants....I would learn

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!