P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah nice and tight...well its a screw-in right? that's why I think I might have kinked the wire...
The wire actually just unplugs from the sensor it’s a one prong wire up plug it and see what it displays if stills says 4wd run a jumper wire to a close ground if 4wd goes out then nothing wrong with wire or vise versa. Check connection to sensor.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
AMR you tube video at 10:16 showed unscrewing, which can twist wire ..not good. Posted comment there with link to 10:16 to warn others. Pull off, not twist as said above. Just a friendly note.

Last edited:
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 80869 AMR you tube video at 10:16 showed unscrewing, which can twist wire ..not good. Posted comment there with link to 10:16 to warn others. Pull off, not twist. (No heart for constructive comment. LOL).

View attachment 80869
yeah maybe I should have done that instead(Pull off, not twist). I'll check see if I can reset the wire in the connector. Its a b**** to get to. Well like everything else! But, Aside from providing a fancy 4WD/2WD icon on the display, is there another purpose to that sensor?

Reactions: Yota87 and Mudder
Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
yeah maybe I should have done that instead(Pull off, not twist). I'll check see if I can reset the wire in the connector. Its a b**** to get to. Well like everything else! But, Aside from providing a fancy 4WD/2WD icon on the display, is there another purpose to that sensor?
It’s just a one wire switch it don’t do nothing but indicate the drive position.

Reactions: JWB
Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
It’s just a one wire switch it don’t do nothing but indicate the drive position.
It’s actually not hard to get to if all your doin is reaching in and unplugging its probably a lot harder to get a wrench on it.

Reactions: Seg
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have no mud holes where I live , unless I trailer mine somewhere. I will be heading down to Hatfield Mcoy's to test mine out.

We need @Bastardchild to get his wife's pioneer fixed up so he can get the locker installed in his 500 , that's going to be a real test !
@Chooglin i swore as soon as they came out i would sell my body on the corner and go on a diet of ramen noodles to buy one lol. As it turns out im just involved with major boating this summer because its just so damn unbearably hot down here in florida!! About the last thing we're thinking of is riding right now. We keep the truck hooked to the new pontoon boat and hit the lakes and springs all weekend long it seems lately. When i get time i have to buy 2 front axles for the wifes P7-4, and something i just discovered, i think i need to rebuild the rear diff on my P5 before i invest in the front locker, i havent investigated it further though. I drove it around the yard last weekend and whenever i drop it in gear there is a huge nasty hollow sounding klunk klunk coming from the rear diff. I can drop it in forward and reverse a handful of times and hear the klunk before it goes away. I guess ive gotten water in there churning around 1 too many times. Yes, i have vent lines ran, but water still gets in. Its my own fault. Its a Honda. Meant to be rode hard and put up wet. Guess i should check it more often. Lol I was planning on replacing bearings and seals in the front diff when i put the locker in the front just for the hell of it, even if they didnt need it. Maybe ill just buy the bearings and seals for the front and rear along with the locker and do it all at once when the time comes. Rest assured though, when i get the locker in i will definetly be hitting some nasty mud holes. One mud hole in particular out at a place we call 10k is my nemesis, and must be shown who is boss. Lol

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm sure I posted this video here somewhere, but I just uploaded it to youtube so here's the link:
Nice video and unless I missed it along the way, what are you doing for shocks, specifically front suspension? It appears you have replaced the front shocks and if so, what did you go with and are you seeing improvements in the suspension?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Nice video and unless I missed it along the way, what are you doing for shocks, specifically front suspension? It appears you have replaced the front shocks and if so, what did you go with and are you seeing improvements in the suspension?
Thanks! I thought I had posted it- couldn't find it either. The shocks you see are doubled air shocks all way around, and for the type of riding I do, I believe the set-up is unbeatable. The stock units are the same ones that come as pogo-sticks in the toy store, and barely qualify as shock absorbers I.M.H.O. :)- the saga begins here, about half way down the page, if you're interested: P500 - p5 suspension

Last edited:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got mine today! Will be installing this coming weekend.

20190122 142753

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had the Kimpex WSS4 tracks on since fall and a locker would benefit greatly. With all that rubber on the ground, there are times when locking the front would be a big help. A bit off topic but...here are some observations about the tracks:
-Excellent flotation on snow and great clearance.
-need strong arms or power steering
-you have to completely rethink what the P500 does, think tractor more than sxs, utility and work over blasting through the snow like on the videos. I use it for pulling a sleigh full of grandkids and firewood collection. It serves that purpose well.
-Highly useless for trail riding. Without the cushion effect of air filled tires, the track offer no suspension. A two inch stump feels like a very harsh “bang”.
-the 500 is under powered for fast playing around. It cannot stay in 5th gear with any sort of load
-think LOUD! I often think I am adding considerable wear as it is always at 3/4 throttle.
-without complete doors, you will get buried INSIDE the cab in powder snow
My goal was to have a means of using the Pioneer 500 as a potential year round machine without having a snowmobile. It serves that purpose for transportation and utility so I have no regrets. It works...but the limitations are rarely advertised.

Last edited:
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had the Kimpex WSS4 tracks on since fall and a locker would benefit greatly. With all that rubber on the ground, there are times when locking the front would be a big help. A bit off topic but...here are some observations about the tracks:
-Excellent flotation on snow and great clearance.
-need strong arms or power steering
-you have to completely rethink what the P500 does, think tractor more than sxs, utility and work over blasting through the snow like on the videos. I use it for pulling a sleigh full of grandkids and firewood collection. It serves that purpose well.
-Highly useless for trail riding. Without the cushion effect of air filled tires, the track offer no suspension. A two inch stump feels like a very harsh “bang”.
-the 500 is under powered for fast playing around. It cannot stay in 5th gear with any sort of load
-think LOUD! I often think I am adding considerable wear as it is always at 3/4 throttle.
-without complete doors, you will get buried INSIDE the cab in powder
My goal was to have a means of using the Pioneer 500 as a potential year round machine without having a snowmobile. It serves that purpose for transportation and utility so I have no regrets. It works...but the limitations are rarely advertised.
Would it be possible for u to add a few more pics of u'r P500 with them tracks?

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Hope these help. Let me know if you need any particular photo. I learned a lot while deciding between Camso and Kimpex tracks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!