Future Who's ready for the 2018 HONDA TALON SPORT SxS?

C

Chris806

Aug 13, 2016
West Nippising
Ownership

1. 500
Ok. As a Honda owner I've got to say something about all the posts about belt driven machines. Yes on occasion these machines will blow a belt. Not often but it happens. I've owned many atv's most with belts. You guys can go on and try to justify buying a honda cause it's gear driven. But a CVT is and always will be the most efficient way to put power to the ground. I got my Honda for the reliability. But let's face it. Of all the four wheelers and SXS's Honda's are the "grandpas grocery getter of all the name brands" at some point even Honda will go to a CVT. or they won't be able to compete.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok. As a Honda owner I've got to say something about all the posts about belt driven machines. Yes on occasion these machines will blow a belt. Not often but it happens. I've owned many atv's most with belts. You guys can go on and try to justify buying a honda cause it's gear driven. But a CVT is and always will be the most efficient way to put power to the ground. I got my Honda for the reliability. But let's face it. Of all the four wheelers and SXS's Honda's are the "grandpas grocery getter of all the name brands" at some point even Honda will go to a CVT. or they won't be able to compete.
Ha..
Sorry if we got to you there @Chris806. All the post are fun and games. We enjoy HONDA because we enjoy HONDA.
Everyone knows each brand has its positives and negative. We know the sport belts will leave us in the dust. And yes the gen1 Pioneer 1000 needs some fine tuning. But as for a belt being the future your sadly mistaken my friend.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Honda has a CVT, just can't find the picture I took of the cutaway.

CVT is efficient at using HP but it doesn't use torque very well because the CVT requires a higher RPM than most motors produce their maximum torque at. Factory motors of quality that run at lower RPMs "tend" to statistically last longer than high rpm motors. That would reduce the statistical reliability of a manufacturer that relies on the reputation of reliability. Honda uses a different business model, quality instead of shiny.

I've had many brands, lots of Hondas becaus they were the only one that I got to ride instead of repair.

One of MY concerns with EVERY popo is the reverse chain, def a weak link in the system.

That said it's fun to poke fun at popo because it's easy.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
It would be owsom to see some pictures of the new Talon some time soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't justify buying my pioneer because it's gear driven, I bought it because of the quality it has over the competition. Honda will always compete and win they are the leader not the follower!

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I didn't justify buying my pioneer because it's gear driven, I bought it because of the quality it has over the competition. Honda will always compete and win they are the leader not the follower!
EXACTLY. POPO comes up with an idea and releases it and the consumer pays the price. Anyway I'm all in on the Talon. Honda I'll pay now...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

Chris806

Aug 13, 2016
West Nippising
Ownership

1. 500
Ha..
Sorry if we got to you there @Chris806. All the post are fun and games. We enjoy HONDA because we enjoy HONDA.
Everyone knows each brand has its positives and negative. We know the sport belts will leave us in the dust. And yes the gen1 Pioneer 1000 needs some fine tuning. But as for a belt being the future your sadly mistaken my friend.
No. I bet Honda will replace their gear transmissions with a CVT. It may not use a rubber belt but a nice long lasting steel belt. Kind of like a CVT car has. Just have to wait on technology to make it cheaper to produce. I believe the only reason Honda hasn't already gone to a CVT is cause they would probably have to build all new more compact motors so the output shaft comes out the side to put the clutch on. With that probably all new frames to house the new motors. I'm not trying to put Hondas down. I bought one, and it's not my first. I just can't stand people saying stupid things. What next? Dodges are great!! Lmfao!!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would be shocked beyond belief if Honda used a CVT....it just won't happen.

My grandfather told me how cars started to last a lot longer after they put over-drive gears in the tranny. Same thing that @ohanacreek said, CVT makes the motor spin faster thus reduces life of the engine. Also, gear drives are more efficient on fuel and torque.

Why is Yamaha and Honda both making gear trannies instead of CVT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DGann
C

Chris806

Aug 13, 2016
West Nippising
Ownership

1. 500
Why did all the companies go to CVT when they were already using gear transmissions? Better power to the ground. A CVT will always leave you at a RPM that has the HP to keep you at the speed your going. If you need 10hp to keep you moving at 30 mph and your motor makes 10hp at 2500rpm that's where it will rev at. If it has 10hp at 4000rpm that where it will rev at. It's all in the motor.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Use the paddle shifters on hills that you find it "hunting " for gears. I've gotten use to its gearing and very seldom now does that happen. When you start using the different modes and even paddles on occasions that totally goes away. The rig also kind of learns you a bit as well I learned this with my new rig as i wasn't in tune with it at first. It too got better and I know this because I was already very familiar with this transmission. I'd never want to give up gearing especially the longer I have it.

Sent from iPhone

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Found this pic from Aug 10th, guessing they just mocked up what they think the Talon might look like? I'm hoping it really looks like this:

6daf1743bf76bb629d7d8ce6a17acfe8

Rumor Mill: Honda Getting in on the Sport SxS Scene - ATVConnection.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C

Chris806

Aug 13, 2016
West Nippising
Ownership

1. 500
Honda has some catching up to do in the sxs market. You see that Can-Am maverick X3? 153 hp!! Really!! Pretty big tho. The big one is like 72" wide. That's a big ride. Bet it would be great in the desert. Not where I am. Trails are to tight.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Everyone please let's try to keep on topic in line with the threads title. Having a little fun is fine hosing down the board with testosterone charged and chest thumping my brand x whatever else vehicle can go in off topic area.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Man, waiting 14 months or possibly more to see if this model comes to the market. What it offers vs. what people want is going to be a long wait :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: ohanacreek
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Everyone please let's try to keep on topic in line with the threads title. Having a little fun is fine hosing down the board with testosterone charged and chest thumping my brand x whatever else vehicle can go in off topic area.

Ya even I had something typed in there because of everything and backed it out. That was a tough one for me Jackal! Back on subject. The more you wait the more you appreciate. I doubt the Honda will absolutely dominate on power and all stats but it'll be strong have good features but best of all be a Honda with dependably. I'd love to say it'll be up 20hp on everything (hopefully I'm wrong here and they go by the way of "look at me!")but Honda will go for a solid platform that does very well and is fully usable with many years of service.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!