Why short supply of Honda SxS?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even at Dealers that are 100% Honda, there seem to be very few Pioneers and esp. Talons. But at a local dealer that handles CanAm, Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda, they are FULL of every possible model of each manufacture except Honda. Since covid the tale for the shortage was due to the supply chain. OK, believable for a while, but not anymore. These other manufactures have to deal with the supply chain also, but their dealers are full of their SxS. Anyone know the real reason why Honda dealers are not just as full of SxS???

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Even at Dealers that are 100% Honda, there seem to be very few Pioneers and esp. Talons. But at a local dealer that handles CanAm, Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda, they are FULL of every possible model of each manufacture except Honda. Since covid the tale for the shortage was due to the supply chain. OK, believable for a while, but not anymore. These other manufactures have to deal with the supply chain also, but their dealers are full of their SxS. Anyone know the real reason why Honda dealers are not just as full of SxS???

You strike a OEM supplier deal with a shock company say FOX for QS3s at $300 a pair but Yamaha, CanAm , Polaris deal is paying $325 a pair. Who's order are you going to fill first for 20,000 pairs? That should answer your $2.5 million vs. $2 million dollar profit margin question.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree! Why is Honda labeling the 22's as a 23S, if they would delivered the 22's there would be no 22S's and would have been sold in 22?

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You strike a OEM supplier deal with a shock company say FOX for QS3s at $300 a pair but Yamaha, CanAm , Polaris deal is paying $325 a pair. Who's order are you going to fill first for 20,000 pairs? That should answer your $2.5 million vs. $2 million dollar profit margin question.
Seems like a poor excuse and logic. Better to sell 10X's the number of Talons by going ahead and paying the $25 extra, rather than cheap out on the Fox and only have 1/10 of the number of Talons available. It ain't like the Honda are selling for less. Also, no reason for Fox not to be able to make all the shocks that are needed. ATV Zone in Roseland showroom and outside holding area is slap full of every type of CanAm, Polaris, and Yamaha you can think of.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are you getting that info?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Where are you getting that info?
It's just an example of why. Showa is now the primary ODM supplier for Honda UTV shocks and outside the Pioneer 1000-6 seems to be very slim pickings on regular / deluxe Pioneer 1000s

As far as where I get my information, we'll I don't plan on getting subpoenaed again alleging disclosure of trade secrets. Let's just say I know John Doe #2 real well.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's just an example of why. Showa is now the primary ODM supplier for Honda UTV shocks and outside the Pioneer 1000-6 seems to be very slim pickings on regular / deluxe Pioneer 1000s

As far as where I get my information, we'll I don't plan on getting subpoenaed again alleging disclosure of trade secrets. Let's just say I know John Doe #2 real well.

Still much TMINF!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is why Honda is pulling some supply chain outta china. To prevent this from happening continuously. Hopefully America is doing likewise.

H

HondaTech

It seems to be a shock supply issue on Talons.

Not sure what the Pioneer problem is. I know for awhile is was Bighorn tires, hence the switch without telling anyone in 2021

At one time we were told DCT ATVs couldn't get PCMs. Then the TRX90 was waiting on grips.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You would think that whatever the problems may be, if Honda was not smart enough to figure a way around it, they would be smart enough to at least follow what the other manufacture are doing since they are producing LOTS of SxS.
Honda is not a follower, thankfully. Otherwise, we'd have CVTs, belts, and SXS's catching on fire all the time.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would think that whatever the problems may be, if Honda was not smart enough to figure a way around it, they would be smart enough to at least follow what the other manufacture are doing since they are producing LOTS of SxS.

Maybe they know something we don't yet 🤔.
Other manufacturers could get stuck with LOTS of SxS 😉

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yep by trying to control inflation and not treating the real cause, supply.
Printing money, borrowing money, and spending money you don't have is not "trying to control inflation". On the contrary - they are trying to destroy our economy and the nation as we know it. It's part of thier long term plan to "fundamentally change this country".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!