H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I think lawnmower production stops in September. It looks like they produce close to 2,600 side by sides a month. With the ATV production moved side by side production should increase and the base model with Showa shocks should start production. The high cost of living and interest rates are slowing sales. Most of the Polaris and Can-Am turbos cost $40,000 OTD and up. Our local dealer has several new 2022 Polaris turbos reduced over $6,000 and they are not selling.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I've been told there is a zero turn mower at the plant that no body talks about.
I have heard this too from a good source. Which really surprised me when they canned the mower division.
I also ran across some interesting zero turn patents with Honda name on them. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I remember before the COVID false flag operation Honda dealers had considerable inventory and the bigger dealers in the Southeast like I69 motorsports in Union City TN & Ramey Motorsports in Purvis, MS would discount Hondas considerably, like $5k off MSRP, no fees. Example, picked up a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in April 2019 for $13,478.00 out the door with an OEM roof. MSRP on that unit was $17,699 plus roof was approx $550 at the time.

Now I'm looking over local dealer inventory, Honda / Yamaha of Knoxville TN. They have one each Pioneer 1000-5, 1000-6, Talon 1000R-4 all MSRP plus. But over 25 Yamaha RMAX 1000 discounted over $7000 off.

I hope Honda gets whatever production issues they have sorted out and get back in the game.
I just want to add a Red 1000-5 Deluxe and P520 in Black Forest Green to my garage but not get asked to pay $2k over MSRP for them.

Screenshot 20230807 093927 Chrome

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I remember before the COVID false flag operation Honda dealers had considerable inventory and the bigger dealers in the Southeast like I69 motorsports in Union City TN & Ramey Motorsports in Purvis, MS would discount Hondas considerably, like $5k off MSRP, no fees. Example, picked up a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in April 2019 for $13,478.00 out the door with an OEM roof. MSRP on that unit was $17,699 plus roof was approx $550 at the time.

Now I'm looking over local dealer inventory, Honda / Yamaha of Knoxville TN. They have one each Pioneer 1000-5, 1000-6, Talon 1000R-4 all MSRP plus. But over 25 Yamaha RMAX 1000 discounted over $7000 off.

I hope Honda gets whatever production issues they have sorted out and get back in the game.
I just want to add a Red 1000-5 Deluxe and P520 in Black Forest Green to my garage but not get asked to pay $2k over MSRP for them.

View attachment 398591
Honda/Yamaha of Knoxville would hardly budge on their prices even before covid. That's some dam good prices on those junkie Yamaha's though.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
While my two "regular" dealers (each about 1 hour away, but in two different states) do charge MSRP for any Honda SXS, they do NOT add any premium, they do not charge for dealer prep or assembly, they do not add a bunch of aftermarket accessories with inflated prices nor require you to purchase any mandatory warranty. You pay MSRP, actual freight (from Honda), a small doc fee (usually $50 to $100) and the state mandatory title fee ($11 in MI). That is it. The only other thing you pay is your state sales tax, if applicable.

I've purchased quite a few motorcycles, my ATV, and my two SXSs from these two dealers. I've sent many people to see them, and many have purchased multiple vehicles from one or the other.

If you find a dealer who treats you right, you always go back and you eagerly recommend them to others.

I did just stray from these two dealers with the '23 Talon 1000R2 FLV we picked up a couple of weeks ago (supply issues, of course), but I somehow managed to find a dealership with the exact same sales philosophy as my "regular" dealers, five hours away from us in WV.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You strike a OEM supplier deal with a shock company say FOX for QS3s at $300 a pair but Yamaha, CanAm , Polaris deal is paying $325 a pair. Who's order are you going to fill first for 20,000 pairs? That should answer your $2.5 million vs. $2 million dollar profit margin question.
You won't need to worry about Polaris using FOX shocks much longer, Polaris Industries just bought Walker Evans Racing and will very likely develop that line into their "premium" shock OEM.

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

View attachment 398591
If Honda isn’t careful, they are going to be forced to give big discounts to compete, before the units leave the factory because other brands inventories are piling up….unless they are willing to concede portions of their small market share.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that's some funny chit! 😁
I have it on good authority that HONDA still has new "Aquatrax" models stashed in a warehouse, for when the PWC market becomes a "thing" again (satire). I worked on and sold HONDA's from 83~2004. Also have been to many Dealer Conventions, there have been many "missed opportunities", the AQUATRAX Fiasco is just one of these. Lawn mowers are another, especially when you bypass the local dealer and start selling through the Big Box Stores.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been told there is a zero turn mower at the plant that no body talks about.
There is also probably still that "MUV" prototype that we saw in Vegas back in the early 90's stashed in a warehouse somewhere. I sat with a VP of HONDA USA Manufacturing back in 2000 and told them that they needed to get into SxS production ASAP. Their comment was that "the 350 Oddysey or 400 PILOT did not do so well and we are selling a lot of 4 wheelers. . . " My response was that "It does not have enough seats and it uses a 2 stroke engine. . . if you build it right, the customer will buy it". Another Missed opportunity to lead instead of follow.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is also probably still that "MUV" prototype that we saw in Vegas back in the early 90's stashed in a warehouse somewhere. I sat with a VP of HONDA USA Manufacturing back in 2000 and told them that they needed to get into SxS production ASAP. Their comment was that "the 350 Oddysey or 400 PILOT did not do so well and we are selling a lot of 4 wheelers. . . " My response was that "It does not have enough seats and it uses a 2 stroke engine. . . if you build it right, the customer will buy it". Another Missed opportunity to lead instead of follow.
I wish Honda would build a “sport-utility” with the features of the Pioneer and the suspension travel of a Talon. That might make too much sense though.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish Honda would build a “sport-utility” with the features of the Pioneer and the suspension travel of a Talon. That might make too much sense though.
That was the point I was trying to make to the "big wigs" at HONDA America and our DSM. The 400 Pilot was a great concept, but it needed that extra seat to gain traction with the customer. I personally liked that powerful 2 stroke engine, but for the general public, that engine would have been a liability. The PILOT had great suspension (for the time period), powerful brakes, comfort and performance, it just needed that seat for "your best friend" to ride along. Think how far ahead HONDA would be today had they went down that road less traveled?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You won't need to worry about Polaris using FOX shocks much longer, Polaris Industries just bought Walker Evans Racing and will very likely develop that line into their "premium" shock OEM.
How do you say, "Walker Evans Racing shocks are now garbage" without saying "Walker Evans Racing shocks are now garbage"?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
How do you say, 'I wish Honda built a reliable KRX" without saying "I wish Honda built a reliable KRX"? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Keep in mind that Honda is a global company. What may be a good idea for the USA, might not be for the rest of the world.

And, Yamaha beat them to it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!