Why short supply of Honda SxS?

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you say, "Walker Evans Racing shocks are now garbage" without saying "Walker Evans Racing shocks are now garbage"?
Oh, I was making no claims to the quality of said shocks, just that POLARIS is going with an internal solution for their "premium equipment", versus buying from an outside source. They certainly will not compete with their own brand by supplying something else, even if it is better. It was my understanding that the earlier models of P1k used SACHS dampers. If true, I'm surprised that HONDA was using suspension components manufactured by companies other than SHOWA or KYB on their base models.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Oh, I was making no claims to the quality of said shocks, just that POLARIS is going with an internal solution for their "premium equipment", versus buying from an outside source. They certainly will not compete with their own brand by supplying something else, even if it is better. It was my understanding that the earlier models of P1k used SACHS dampers. If true, I'm surprised that HONDA was using suspension components manufactured by companies other than SHOWA or KYB on their base models.
I was just saying that, if Polaris gets a hold of anything - no matter how good it is now - they will eventually turn it into garbage. ;)

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I really like the RMAX but I’m just not a fan of the drivetrain. To each his own but I prefer the Honda by a long shot.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the RMAX but I’m just not a fan of the drivetrain. To each his own but I prefer the Honda by a long shot.
The R-Max has the best CVT out there. The Yamaha "ULTRAMATIC" is head and shoulders above any other CVT, with the exception of the very good KRX CVT. I'm still going with the all gear drive HONDA for the durability and reliability.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The R-Max has the best CVT out there. The Yamaha "ULTRAMATIC" is head and shoulders above any other CVT, with the exception of the very good KRX CVT. I'm still going with the all gear drive HONDA for the durability and reliability.
I drove Backwoods RMAX and loved the ride (nomo), but the trans just wasn’t what I was used to. (I’d just spent about 11 hours in my Pioneer though). I’ll have to keep what I got for now!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just saying that, if Polaris gets a hold of anything - no matter how good it is now - they will eventually turn it into garbage. ;)
Oh, I got your meaning. I have heard several people sing the praises of WER shocks, I have no personal like or dislike myself.

Reactions: Smitty335
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I drove Backwoods RMAX and loved the ride (nomo), but the trans just wasn’t what I was used to. (I’d just spent about 11 hours in my Pioneer though). I’ll have to keep what I got for now!
I hear you. I'm no fan of CVT, but if I HAD to take one, it would be the RMAX or the KRX. All of the CVT machines sound to me like the engines are running at or near redline all the time. I'll stay with the HONDA DCT as well.

advertisement
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
🤔.....so @Backwoods' trans wasn't what you were used to eh?........🤨😬

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hear you. I'm no fan of CVT, but if I HAD to take one, it would be the RMAX or the KRX. All of the CVT machines sound to me like the engines are running at or near redline all the time. I'll stay with the HONDA DCT as well.
RMAX would be my choice if I made that move though. It’s nice.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
RMAX would be my choice if I made that move though. It’s nice.
In '21, it came down to the P1K5 or the RMAX4 for me. My 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS is bulletproof, but Honda's across the board reliability and certain features of the Pioneer won me over.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. Seemed sorta bland!
The one side effect of a CVT is that an engine so equipped can be tuned to run within a relatively narrow RPM range, whereas the geared DCT must be very flexible and with a broad power band, from idle to high RPM and WOT. The HONDA makes power and torque down low, through mid-range and still retains a good "pull" at high rpm.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The one side effect of a CVT is that an engine so equipped can be tuned to run within a relatively narrow RPM range, whereas the geared DCT must have be very flexible and with a broad power band, from idle to high RPM and WOT. The HONDA makes power and torque down low, through mid-range and still retains a good "pull" at high rpm.
I like being able to control my gear…2nd is good for climbing.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like being able to control my gear…2nd is good for climbing.
I have been riding motorcycles for almost 60 years, the gear transmission is the only way to go for me. Did not like belts on the old HONDA Odyssey, the Pilot, the scooters and anything else that was so equipped. I'm too old to change my ways, I suppose.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been riding motorcycles for almost 60 years, the gear transmission is the only way to go for me. Did not like belts on the old HONDA Odyssey, the Pilot, the scooters and anything else that was so equipped. I'm too old to change my ways, I suppose.
I think stubborn goes with old, I've got a bad case of it!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!