CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hear you. I'm no fan of CVT, but if I HAD to take one, it would be the RMAX or the KRX. All of the CVT machines sound to me like the engines are running at or near redline all the time. I'll stay with the HONDA DCT as well.
They are, it's how they're designed to run. Snowmobiles use them because they need to be on the power, all the time. In the powder, there's so much drag that a shift would allow the engine to bog and you'd drop into the powder. With the CVT making constant, incremental adjustments, the engine can say up on the cam ALL the time, maintaining the power to turn those monster paddled tracks. It's the only form of transmission that works in that application.

In a perfect world (but heavily computerized), we could have a rheostat control of the CVT shift range, controlling the RPM, but then you'd be expecting the population to learn how to 'drive', ain't gonna happen.

It's why I love the DCT so much, I get to control the RPM to fit my mood and the slight delay in shifting doesn't affect forward motion because the rolling drag isn't off the charts like a snowmobile.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are, it's how they're designed to run. Snowmobiles use them because they need to be on the power, all the time. In the powder, there's so much drag that a shift would allow the engine to bog and you'd drop into the powder. With the CVT making constant, incremental adjustments, the engine can say up on the cam ALL the time, maintaining the power to turn those monster paddled tracks. It's the only form of transmission that works in that application.

In a perfect world (but heavily computerized), we could have a rheostat control of the CVT shift range, controlling the RPM, but then you'd be expecting the population to learn how to 'drive', ain't gonna happen.

It's why I love the DCT so much, I get to control the RPM to fit my mood and the slight delay in shifting doesn't affect forward motion because the rolling drag isn't off the charts like a snowmobile.
Oh, I realize that exactly what they are doing, I'm just saying that I don't like running an engine at high RPM all the time. If memory serves me correctly, POLARIS has even shown some patent drawings and descriptions of an electronically controlled CVT, more like those in cars. No matter what, it will still be a rubber band (or possibly a metal "belt") stretched between two variable pitch sheaves.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep by trying to control inflation with interest rates and not treating the real cause, supply.
Agree and selling our strategic petroleum reserves to China on the world market to provide supply to try and keep the price down that was caused by pipeline/permit shutdowns is STUPID. The answer is DRILL BABY DRILL and produce more. NOT sell our safety net.

Just like letting MILLIONS in who have no income, no job and little education. WHO is paying for that? NYC is saying it has spent 1Billion in 6 months to care for 50K immigrants. So do the math, how much have 6m cost us in Free Flights, Lodging, Food, Healthcare, Education......

This is why ALL economists no matter what party NEVER want inflation because once you have it, the only way to get rid of it (if you are not going to increase supply) is destroy demand. That means either take peoples money (by causing layoffs) or make it so expensive they cannot afford it. They were warned. They failed. They denied it existed, then said it was transitional, then said they were "wrong", now the stupid SoB is out there calling it bidenomics and says "its working". OMG. The stupidity is rampant.

The final point is all the fools saying that they have inflation under control because it is back to 3%. Well that just means it has stopped growing as fast but you are still paying MORE than 2x for gas and groceries than 2021 but whoever said liberals were smart enough to know better.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I like being able to control my gear…2nd is good for climbing.

Cheech: 1st gear, 2nd gear ...
Cheech: Hey man, how far you going, man?
Chong: Right here would be fine man,
Cheech: You ain't scared of a little speed, are ya man?
Chong: You got some speed, man?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Agree and selling our strategic petroleum reserves to China on the world market to provide supply to try and keep the price down that was caused by pipeline/permit shutdowns is STUPID. The answer is DRILL BABY DRILL and produce more. NOT sell our safety net.

Just like letting MILLIONS in who have no income, no job and little education. WHO is paying for that? NYC is saying it has spent 1Billion in 6 months to care for 50K immigrants. So do the math, how much have 6m cost us in Free Flights, Lodging, Food, Healthcare, Education......

This is why ALL economists no matter what party NEVER want inflation because once you have it, the only way to get rid of it (if you are not going to increase supply) is destroy demand. That means either take peoples money (by causing layoffs) or make it so expensive they cannot afford it. They were warned. They failed. They denied it existed, then said it was transitional, then said they were "wrong", now the stupid SoB is out there calling it bidenomics and says "its working". OMG. The stupidity is rampant.

The final point is all the fools saying that they have inflation under control because it is back to 3%. Well that just means it has stopped growing as fast but you are still paying MORE than 2x for gas and groceries than 2021 but whoever said liberals were smart enough to know better.
I would like to laugh at the economists but there stupid decisions affect most of us and it ain't funny.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh, I realize that exactly what they are doing, I'm just saying that I don't like running an engine at high RPM all the time. If memory serves me correctly, POLARIS has even shown some patent drawings and descriptions of an electronically controlled CVT, more like those in cars. No matter what, it will still be a rubber band (or possibly a metal "belt") stretched between two variable pitch sheaves.
I understand, neither do I, I love being able to short shift the buggy. When I broke the switch in the 'up' paddle, it about drove me crazy, waiting for the software to shift the thing, long after I would have. :eek:

I vgQbwjr X2

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand, neither do I, I love being able to short shift the buggy. When I broke the switch in the 'up' paddle, it about drove me crazy, waiting for the software to shift the thing, long after I would have. :eek:

View attachment 398625
I got used to short shifting all the time. I run on the trails in manual to avoid all the up and downshifting. I can drive smoother without all the unnecessary shifting. I use all of the available rpm range this engine offers to my advantage.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got used to short shifting all the time. I run on the trails in manual to avoid all the up and downshifting. I can drive smoother without all the unnecessary shifting. I use all of the available rpm range this engine offers to my advantage.
I'm usually in Auto but upshift frequently. Something I hated is when it would downshift midturn, making the buggy get squirrely and screwing up my mojo. All I wanted was to litely power thru the turn, not downshift in the middle. fwiw: I recently discovered that the software in Manual will let my Talon pull a much lower RPM without that agitating midturn downshift. Not sure if the Pioneers are the same way or not.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm usually in Auto but upshift frequently. Something I hated is when it would downshift midturn, making the buggy get squirrely and screwing up my mojo. All I wanted was to litely power thru the turn, not downshift in the middle. fwiw: I recently discovered that the software in Manual will let my Talon pull a much lower RPM without that agitating midturn downshift. Not sure if the Pioneers are the same way or not.
The Pioneer has a similar characteristic. I keep it in manual on the trail for that reason. That mid turn downshift is what I want to avoid. I don't run a stock tune,but it is not a really radical one either. Sport mode seems to work better the the standard mode as well. Most of the stock shift points are moved up and down a bit, I also have a "reverse upshift" programmed in.

Reactions: CID
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep, the economy tanked a month ago, it'll take the Government another 5 months to even know it happened.
They know it happened. They are the one that caused it. Not by accident either. Wait are we supposed to stay on topic here. I can't remember or comprehend as some would say. Anyway

advertisement
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Pioneer has a similar characteristic. I keep it in manual on the trail for that reason. That mid turn downshift is what I want to avoid. I don't run a stock tune,but it is not a really radical one either. Sport mode seems to work better the the standard mode as well. Most of the stock shift points are moved up and down a bit, I also have a "reverse upshift" programmed in.
What is a"reverse upshift"

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember before the COVID false flag operation Honda dealers had considerable inventory and the bigger dealers in the Southeast like I69 motorsports in Union City TN & Ramey Motorsports in Purvis, MS would discount Hondas considerably, like $5k off MSRP, no fees. Example, picked up a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in April 2019 for $13,478.00 out the door with an OEM roof. MSRP on that unit was $17,699 plus roof was approx $550 at the time.

Now I'm looking over local dealer inventory, Honda / Yamaha of Knoxville TN. They have one each Pioneer 1000-5, 1000-6, Talon 1000R-4 all MSRP plus. But over 25 Yamaha RMAX 1000 discounted over $7000 off.

I hope Honda gets whatever production issues they have sorted out and get back in the game.
I just want to add a Red 1000-5 Deluxe and P520 in Black Forest Green to my garage but not get asked to pay $2k over MSRP for them.

View attachment 398591

Can't even give them Yamaha's away ehh? 😉🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda isn’t careful, they are going to be forced to give big discounts to compete, before the units leave the factory because other brands inventories are piling up….unless they are willing to concede portions of their small market share.
They don't compete with rubberbands 🙄.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is a"reverse upshift"
When you put the machine in reverse range, it will shift the main transmission up through higher gears, instead of just staying in 1st gear. Mine shifts 1 > 2 > 3. I could make it shift through all 6 gears with a small change to the program.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When you put the machine in reverse range, it will shift the main transmission up through higher gears, instead of just staying in 1st gear. Mine shifts 1 > 2 > 3. I could make it shift through all 6 gears with a small change to the program.
What benefit would that mod do that would make it beneficial?

Reactions: Backwoods and ChadD
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No kiddin. That would be handy when snow plowin and doin alot of reversing.
When I plowed snow with my 94 Kodiak I wish it had a taller reverse gear. But for backing out of trouble or backing a heavy trailer the super low reverse was perfect.

Reactions: ChadD
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What benefit would that mod do that would make it beneficial?
Sometimes I find that the single speed reverse is too slow and engine rpms in reverse seem too high. I'll put it like this, I did it as an experiment, not really knowing if it would be useful or if I would like it. I think if you do a lot of backing up, it will save time. I've kept the program as is, so I guess it works for me.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!