P1000 Will it void my warranty?

blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
Not sure if anyone here has had an actual experience or not, but maybe an "insider" will read this and be able to answer my question. I just got my 1000 yesterday and opted for the extended warranty (4 years total). I'm like a lot of the members on the site and I like to modify and personalize my vehicles.

If I say for example add a second battery and some lights, put on larger tires, add a winch etc., will I be told I somehow voided my warranty? Will it be a situation where as long as it's Honda brand accessories and installed by a dealer you're OK, but aftermarket in your garage is not? I'm not talking about doing anything crazy like high lifter suspension or adding a turbo, just pretty much normal stuff such as I already mentioned.

At this point it's purely hypothetical, as I may never need the warranty anyway, but I'd hate to have an expensive part fail and then find out I threw my extended warranty money down the toilet. Being the genius that I am, I didn't even think about it until I went to bed last night, then I stayed awake all night wondering. I called my dealer this morning and they didn't know, saying they would have to check on it and get back with me.

I have a lot of plans for modifying my machine, and they don't all involve Honda brand accessories, although I'm still waiting for the aftermarket to catch up on parts for the 1000.

Reactions: pct and Gem99Ultra
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Not sure if anyone here has had an actual experience or not, but maybe an "insider" will read this and be able to answer my question. I just got my 1000 yesterday and opted for the extended warranty (4 years total). I'm like a lot of the members on the site and I like to modify and personalize my vehicles.

If I say for example add a second battery and some lights, put on larger tires, add a winch etc., will I be told I somehow voided my warranty? Will it be a situation where as long as it's Honda brand accessories and installed by a dealer you're OK, but aftermarket in your garage is not? I'm not talking about doing anything crazy like high lifter suspension or adding a turbo, just pretty much normal stuff such as I already mentioned.

At this point it's purely hypothetical, as I may never need the warranty anyway, but I'd hate to have an expensive part fail and then find out I threw my extended warranty money down the toilet. Being the genius that I am, I didn't even think about it until I went to bed last night, then I stayed awake all night wondering. I called my dealer this morning and they didn't know, saying they would have to check on it and get back with me.

I have a lot of plans for modifying my machine, and they don't all involve Honda brand accessories, although I'm still waiting for the aftermarket to catch up on parts for the 1000.
I will say with last experience it depends a lot on your dealer. They are the ones sending the paperwork to Honda not you so they are technically Honda's eyes and ears. If you have a good dealer your chances are a lot better about most warranty claims.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
When I went in for a quote I asked my dealer about extended warranties. He said they offered one for 4 years for about $1500. And they would give you a free set of tires (that came on the rig when you bought it) after like 3 years or something like that!! But he said they would replace pretty much everything with what ever you've done to it. Unlike Honda looking for reason to void it. The only thing he mentioned that would void it was snorkeling the machine

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My dealer said the warrant would cover everything on my P700. I had a lot of mods to it. I asked them if I broke an axle and I have 28" tires, they said they would cover it.

They said they would not cover stupidity like, if I hooked the spare battery up backwards or put diesel fuel in it, etc.

blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a bit better about it even though my dealer hasn't responded yet.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I went in for a quote I asked my dealer about extended warranties. He said they offered one for 4 years for about $1500. And they would give you a free set of tires (that came on the rig when you bought it) after like 3 years or something like that!! But he said they would replace pretty much everything with what ever you've done to it. Unlike Honda looking for reason to void it. The only thing he mentioned that would void it was snorkeling the machine
WOW dealer retail to extend warranty out to 48 months is only $620 no wonder they would buy a set of tires for that price.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
WOW dealer retail to extend warranty out to 48 months is only $620 no wonder they would buy a set of tires for that price.
Yes I paid 600 and dropped my interest rate by a point no brainer to me

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
The $1500 4 year was the only option my dealer offered. Do you know who your warranty is through? The dealer (Honda) or a different company that the dealer offered.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Mine was through Honda itself just got the warranty stuff in the mail

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was through Honda itself just got the warranty stuff in the mail
how long did it take to get your warranty details in the mail? I haven't received anything like that, and hadn't even thought about it until this thread. I just assumed that if I take it back to where I bought it then they will have it in their system...

advertisement
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
About 2 1/2 weeks and yes it should be in the system through Honda with any dealer though.

H

HondaTech

We try our hardest to get Honda to pay for anything we can. if you to spend your money on repairs you cant spend it on accessories or parts. If I see what I think might be a warranty issue, I'll stop at nothing to get Honda to cover it first. Most of the time they don't ask questions unless we call Techline first, and the only reason we would call them is if the issue is something we cant figure out or the parts are unavailable. Usually the only contact we have with Honda when doing warranty is electronic. Very rarely do we physically interact with them on warranty issues.
If your dealer is an issue, you can always call Honda and they'll figure the problem out accordingly.

Reactions: sharp
H

HondaTech

The $1500 4 year was the only option my dealer offered. Do you know who your warranty is through? The dealer (Honda) or a different company that the dealer offered.
If it's a true Hondaline warranty the most you can get it 3 extra years for around $800. That would be through Honda, anything over that is dealer provided only and I would definately get it writing with a dealer principle or GM signature.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dealer said the warrant would cover everything on my P700. I had a lot of mods to it. I asked them if I broke an axle and I have 28" tires, they said they would cover it.

They said they would not cover stupidity like, if I hooked the spare battery up backwards or put diesel fuel in it, etc.
Or filled it with water ?

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's a true Hondaline warranty the most you can get it 3 extra years for around $800. That would be through Honda, anything over that is dealer provided only and I would definately get it writing with a dealer principle or GM signature.
I paid $600 for the Honda extended 3 year warranty for a total of 4 years coverage. List price is only $620 so someone is trying to take advantage of you. Other manufactures extended warrantys are very high.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how long did it take to get your warranty details in the mail? I haven't received anything like that, and hadn't even thought about it until this thread. I just assumed that if I take it back to where I bought it then they will have it in their system...

Even if you don't have the card have your dealer imput serial# into there service computer and it will come up if it has been issued.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I paid $600 for the Honda extended 3 year warranty for a total of 4 years coverage. List price is only $620 so someone is trying to take advantage of you. Other manufactures extended warrantys are very high.
Shoot, I paid $1,050 for 4 years. It was $1,500 but the lady doing the paperwork gave me a deal. I'm doubled covered the 1st year with the Honda warranty and the extended warranty

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Most cases it is up to the dealer and they do not involve Honda but if they do warranty could be voided. I would stay away from lift kits and 30" + tall tires if you don't want any problems.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I asked the same question, he said yes. Even if I swamped it. I don't believe it though.

I should add that the warranties offered thru my dealer in Chattanooga are the OEM warranty and their own warranty. So, I got the warranty thru Southern Power Sports.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!