P500 Will my P500 start in very cold weather?

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Winter will soon be here. I will be leaving my P500 outside uncovered in my drive. I expect that temperatures will always be below freezing and may dip to 0º F (-18º C) or even colder on many nights.
I intend to use it for snow removal so I want it to start. I don't really care how long it takes to warm up. I just want to ensure that it will start.
I have changed the oil to 5w-30, and I always use ethanol-free regular gasoline with NAPA fuel conditioner.
I am considering one or more of the following:
- battery tender. I would probably mount it under the hood and connect it to the battery by using the cables from the winch solenoid.
- stick on, or magnetic oil pan heater. As most of these are designed for cars and therefore high wattage I would put it on a timer for only a couple of hours before I expect to drive.
Do I really need these add-ons? Do you have other suggestions?

What experience have you had with your machines in cold weather?

Reactions: Bushbaby
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Winter will soon be here. I will be leaving my P500 outside uncovered in my drive. I expect that temperatures will always be below freezing and may dip to 0º F (-18º C) or even colder on many nights.
I intend to use it for snow removal so I want it to start. I don't really care how long it takes to warm up. I just want to ensure that it will start.
I have changed the oil to 5w-30, and I always use ethanol-free regular gasoline with NAPA fuel conditioner.
I am considering one or more of the following:
- battery tender. I would probably mount it under the hood and connect it to the battery by using the cables from the winch solenoid.
- stick on, or magnetic oil pan heater. As most of these are designed for cars and therefore high wattage I would put it on a timer for only a couple of hours before I expect to drive.
Do I really need these add-ons? Do you have other suggestions?

What experience have you had with your machines in cold weather?
I think that during those conditions if you have the ability to keep a battery tender on it for a crisp battery, you’ll have no trouble. But I would expect the Alaskan and Canadian members that see this will have the best tips for you.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would put a tarp or cover over it something to help keep the snow and ice off your pioneer.

Reactions: trigger and tomcj2
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't use mine during the winter but during a cold snap last January I was curious if it would start, overnight temps were -20f. I keep it in my neighbors unheated barn so the inside temp was very close to outside. It hadn't been started since early Nov, no battery tender, no heater, nothing special in the fuel. I turned the key and let the pump cycle then started, it fired quickly just as it would in the middle of summer. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

C

Chooglin

I agree with the above , a battery tender and a cover over the Pioneer and I think you should be good.

Reactions: Chadwick1968
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
If you need to purchase a battery tender/charger you might want to look into this combo:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWTHP2/?tag=sxsweb24-20
and this dash mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MI9L6U/?tag=sxsweb24-20
I really like having the dash plug in since getting to the battery and under hood is a PITA.
IMG 0445

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Should have no problem starting. Use a batter tender to keep the battery nice and charged.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
magnetic heater ain't gonna work, the engine is all aluminum ;).
Also, Honda has a full synthetic 0W-30 you may want to consider using.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Just a friendly question, the 5W30 is wet clutch approved?

Tender the battery, tarp it and place a 100W bulb in a safe place near the engine and place on a timer. On days you intend to use, I would have the 100w bulb come on 3-4 hours ahead of starting it. Further, I would put a thermometer down near the engine to see how different it is vs ambient temp and suspect it will be above freezing....

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
The battery in the P5 is relatively beefy for that size engine, most motorycles have significantly smaller ones. Fuel injection is great...as long as the engine can crank fast enough, it will start. My mom has never had a problem with her P5 in NH, and I wouldn't expect you'll have any up there, either, as long as the battery stays charged.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As long as you’re using it almost everyday, I don’t see it being a problem. We had a few days last winter that were -16 and mine never hesitated to start. I second everyone’s opinion on a tender, a hot battery is hard to beat.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As long as you’re using it almost everyday, I don’t see it being a problem. We had a few days last winter that were -16 and mine never hesitated to start. I second everyone’s opinion on a tender, a hot battery is hard to beat.
I keep hot batteries and a hot wife in the winter, you can take the hot wife as mad as hell or loving. Richard is going to turn this into a poll, just wait an see????

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I keep hot batteries and a hot wife in the winter, you can take the hot wife as mad as hell or loving. Richard is going to turn this into a poll, just wait an see????
You’re wheels are hottest upside down and you know it, you scoundrel. :D:D:D

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank the heavens, you do have someone to answer to @Smitty335. You would be a danger to the community without her. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Poll. Which do u use most in the winter.
- battery tender.
- hot wife.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank the heavens, you do have someone to answer to @Smitty335. You wound be a danger to the community without her. Lol
Smitty is a danger to any community.....but, I’ll vouch for him, and pull him out of a bind, every time we’re out.!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!