Will there ever be a way for the Pioneer to run faster?

M

Mojeeper

Mar 30, 2014
I have a RZR S now, but with two kids it's not real family friendly. I'm tossing around adding a rear seat and roll cage to it, but not sure I like that either. If the Pioneer ran 55 I'd bite the bullet no questions ask. 45 is plenty fast when I have the kids, it's the 85% of the time that I don't and I'm on the road checking fields I need/want something faster, that is where the RZR shines. All the other 4 seaters are way to long, so they are out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Best answer is NO.
I think it would require a lot as it is the computer knocking it off at 45.
Even if one figured out a Rincon computer swap. It would mess with the auto shifting.
Be a money pit for sure trying to figure it out.

I would like to see someone try a complete Rincon wire harness swap on the Pioneer.
Then you could end up with manual shift options. A game changer for sure.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
MoJeeper, I was having the exact same concerns when considering the Pioneer coming from a RZR-S. I had to decide if I wanted to invest another $2000 in a small back seat / roll bar for more passengers (very cramped and no leg room), or go with the slower but more reliable Honda with plenty of room for 4. I went with the Pioneer. Yes, I do miss the speed and Power of the RZR at times, but I have to say I'm happy with my decision to go with the Pioneer overall. The shorter wheel base 4 passenger machine is what sold me and continues to sell me on the Honda Pioneer. I suspect once the aftermarket kicks in for the Pioneer, there will be something that will allow for a little higher top end speed, but I also suspect it won't offer a lot more speed. There is always trade offs and you'll have to decide what you need most? For me it was need for more passengers, shorter wheel base and higher reliability - the Pioneer has served me well in these areas. What I'm really looking forward to is a Honda Sport model ( 2015 or 2016) that has more power and speed, while hopefully offering the same innovative 4 person seating in a short wheel base machine. In the interim, I'll continue to enjoy my Pioneer!

K

kyhunter

Oct 30, 2013
Only option will be run a lift and the lightest possible 30" tires you can find. Cause I don't see anyone tryin to change the speed on the pioneer. From my experiences in the past it's better to not use programmers or cold air intakes just messes things up. Exhaust will help a little on bottom end but not $300 worth.

240tt

Mar 11, 2014
I would agree with last post. If you could bump the tire size even say a 28" tire would help a little. Not sure on the 30" that's a big tire and lift kit needed. Plus you would maybe need to find a way to bump the low end to compensate. Yes if they could have just programmed that machine for 50 mph would be just right for a sxs. 45 mph is a tad slow.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the Rincon has a 2.0 reduction gear the pioneer has a 2,5 reduction if you used the 2.o you would get more mph IF the motor has enough power to pull it. the Rincon also has different diff gears so the results would be less top speed than the Rincon but more than the pioneer. some math guy could work out the numbers and tell us what the top speed would be. that's not me!!!
the speed gain may only be down hill. I don't know how bad the loss on the low end would be. the only way to answer the questions is to try it. larger tire didn't hurt performance at all.
am thinking of trying it, but not soon. the parts are less than 100 dollars and probably and afternoons work. to many other thing to do first.
I am just looking to slow the motor down at cruising speed.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
people are buying the pioneer for the wrong reason it was made to be a utility machine not to go fast. the only way to make it go fast would be to sell it and get something that goes fast. I just put 27 inch tires on the factory rims and the only thing that helped was the way the pioneer handles it is night and day the way it rides and drives.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I agree with you I never get anywhere near top speed well trail riding but I would like to drop the rpms at cruising speed.
probably more cause I just can't leave it alone. I will say it's been my experience with the Honda stuff you're not going to make it much better than they did the Gathering probably optimized as much as it could be they even use a different 2nd gear in that then they did on the Rincon that had been from testing

M

Mojeeper

Mar 30, 2014
tbaker said:
people are buying the pioneer for the wrong reason it was made to be a utility machine not to go fast. the only way to make it go fast would be to sell it and get something that goes fast. I just put 27 inch tires on the factory rims and the only thing that helped was the way the pioneer handles it is night and day the way it rides and drives.

I'm buying a utility machine to do work and check fields, and the occasional family ride, can't get much more utility than that, I like most others doing the same thing want speed, and a good ride. There's a reason Polaris has 90% of the market share around here with the rangers. They are building a machine people want, not what they "think" you should want.

Reactions: Bill450L
T

Tackle83

Feb 13, 2014
I seem to think otherwise. I have a friend that does nothing but customize atvs and sxs. with some modifications going 55 mph is not an issue. Remember honda limits the top speed to 45, but the engine can do more, it is programmed into the cpu.

So if you were to add a power commander, exhaust, and tweak a couple thing in the engine. 55 mph is easy to get to.

If i did not want to void my warranty i could have him make the pioneer keep up with the 1000cc sxs.

Reactions: Hondabits
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the motor is turning 6800 at 45 mph I don't think your going to rev it much more than that. the speed limiter is the rev limiter.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I run 30's on my 700 but they rub on sharp turns. Top speed is 51 mph. Honda may have 4 seat sport models. We will know in September and they should have them in the future but that could be a year or two.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 500 does 46 mph with 30's. I trimmed the frame a bit and they will still rub on sharp turns. I had to space the wheels out a bit too.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
I have a RZR S now, but with two kids it's not real family friendly. I'm tossing around adding a rear seat and roll cage to it, but not sure I like that either. If the Pioneer ran 55 I'd bite the bullet no questions ask. 45 is plenty fast when I have the kids, it's the 85% of the time that I don't and I'm on the road checking fields I need/want something faster, that is where the RZR shines. All the other 4 seaters are way to long, so they are out.

where do you ride mostly? ive never ran into problems out in the south east trail riding in my 4 door. a good set of tree kickers and a full skid plate makes anything possible.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought the 1000 LE would cruise about 55 or so.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Lol.....lmao...time to go to bed for sure lol. I didn’t see that lol.

Reactions: Plumber32

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!