P1000 Will this BMF light bar overload my electrical system?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking you should be fine, that's based on the very strong likelihood your light/s are not pulling anything like 65 amps. With your engine at idle, the electrical system is not putting out anywhere near it's capacity of something on the order of 55 amps or so, IIRC. When you are running with lights, have a look at your voltmeter from time to time - that will tell you what's going on with the system. There is no problem so long as the voltage doesn't continue to drop. Probably a reasonable benchmark, while running at moderate speed, if the voltage is heading south and reaches 13 volts and falling, you'll know the system isn't keeping up with demand. That's when you do a "load shed" by turning off unnecessary things, at least until voltage stabilizes. No harm, no foul.

But again, the LED mfg's "wattage claims" are so overinflated, it wouldn't surprise me at all if everything works fine as you drive down the trail looking like a Christmas tree on steroids. :)

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which was exactly, why I started this thread. Lol. I dont know what is drawing for sure. At Idle, my aux battery voltage reads 14.1v. When I switch the BMF light on it drops to 13.9. So in my thinking this is showing its pulling more power than is being replaced? You have way more experience than me so Im going to defer to your judgement. I dont really plan to use it in a continual fashion. just for periodic lighting up a field to see if a varmint is around.
You will be fine. I installed a 52" 675watt. When I brought it home I connected it to a car battery and measured the amp draw with a clamp on meter and it only draws about 8 amps. Just look at the size of the wires on the light. I have parked in the bush at night with all my lights on and a stereo going drawing from my aux battery with no problems.
IMG 5496

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, what is the output of the Pioneer 1000 stator? And, technically, is it a stator or an alternator?

What are the chances one could increase the output? I poked around a little and didn't see a high output alternator on the aftermarket. I've got a friend of a friend that does winding on stators, wonder if one could custom upgrade...

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, what is the output of the Pioneer 1000 stator? And, technically, is it a stator or an alternator?

What are the chances one could increase the output? I poked around a little and didn't see a high output alternator on the aftermarket. I've got a friend of a friend that does winding on stators, wonder if one could custom upgrade...
The stator has a 55 amp output if I'm not mistaken, and I think* the whole drive system takes about 25 amps.

*Hey, I'm dang old and with less than a dozen active brain cells remaining, I can't be expected to remember this stuff.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!