Winch/Battery failure...

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a Warn Axon 45-S that has been great. I've been stuck before in deep mud, grass, swamp, etc. for over three hours. I used the winch continuously throughout that time period with proper resting of the winch and battery and eventually got out.

This weekend was different. I got stuck in very similar circumstances and made no progress. The winch wasn't powerful enough to get me unstuck, but, most most of my concern was that the winch was bogging the engine making it cut out.

After about 15 minutes of hard winching out of deep mud, I could only get a few seconds of "pull" before the battery light went from green, orange then red. If I winched for more than 5-10 seconds, the engine would stall and cut out.

When this happened, I rested the machine/engine/battery for about 15 minutes and then let it run without winching for another 10-15 min. This didn't matter or improve the battery condition at all. I ended up having to get another machine and winch my machine out. It popped right out.

Knowing this, do you think my problem is the battery? It's 3-4 years old and did have to be jumped once in the last month.

Could it be my winch? I used the winch the next day and it seemed fine.

I know a dual battery system would help, but I at least thought that I had a good hour or two of winch use (all with proper resting periods for heat dissipation and battery recharge).

What else should I be looking at. I really like being able to rely on the winch and spend a fair amount of time in the shallow water/grass with my machine.

Thanks

Reactions: Squeegee
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pics

PXL 20220326 184929507 PXL 20220326 175358625

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, your battery has aged and isn't able to handle the extreme load of the winch.
With the kind of riding you do, you're a major candidate for a dual battery. You'll really appreciate having it.
You won't need to be quite so patient getting it out, you'll be able to push it harder.

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ordered the Deka AGM battery today and will step up the dual battery install. My problem there is analysis paralysis.

I want a state of the art, simple, bulletproof solution (at least as much as this can be). I will have other wiring requirements--back up lights, stereo (not huge), front ditch lights, but not much more.

I plan to install the dual system first, but want to plan it for EASY expansion for the additional components.

Thoughts? links? Reliability is really top on my list. I use my machine to the fullest of its capabilities.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!