Winch contactor

D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone used their winch contactor to power a small light bar? I plan on using fused relay harness direct off contactor vs running new wires to battery. Any forseen issues?

Reactions: GrnP500
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
While I don't recommend this, a small light bar would be fine.
The issue only really comes about when winching as it draws such a heavy load.
I highly stress turning the light bar off when winching.

If that's your only accessory there are other easy options if the light is under a few amp draw.
More info on the light, please? size, watts, amp draw?
Thanks.

Reactions: BigOL3 and Mudwing
D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you, its a hella 12” 60 watt, believe about 5amp draw, issue i had was it is hooked up to accessory plug w/o relay, fused at 7.5 amp and 30 amp hd switch, but when wiring a new warn wireless remote last night i noticed the fuse for light was lightly deformed from melting, not blown. Rarely use light bar but last ride we ran it w/o bike running while working on friends belt, not sure if it was running battery down and starved for power or something, but it started fine. Just trying to avoid a fire. I never run anything else while using winch except for plowing at night, mostly just factory headlights

D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Light has been on there for 2 years no issues till now. Factory warn winch. So straight to battery? Thinking accessory plug might be too light.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I ran my accessories off an 8 gauge amp wire with 20 amp fuse. Radio. 4 lights rock lights cb 6 yrs same fuse. For the light a switch should work no problem. 60 watts is only 5 amps

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Should be no problem as i thought, only other thing i can think of is mud or corrosion in fuse holder causing resistance

D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Only accessories running off accessory harness is that 1 light bar, and 2 small led strobes, never run together, sound system and everything else is run from different circuits. Have never blown a fuse anywhere.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Should be no problem as i thought, only other thing i can think of is mud or corrosion in fuse holder causing resistance
The fuse holder i have is the kind with the rubber lid. I just took a qtip and put dieletric grease on the outside of the bottom peice. It stays clean and i go over dash regularly.

D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
I switched to that type, i didnt think it would be a problem where it was, obviously i was wrong. Went ahead and installed the relay harness too. I use fluid film on all connections on everything i own, never did that one fuse though. Thanks for help everyone. Look forward to chatting and ideas on this forum, honored to be here!!!

advertisement
D

deerhunter72

Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
By the way, fyi, warn wireless remote is great, makes re-spooling 1 man job, though there is a slight delay, not as bad as my buddy has with his harbour freight remote, but still a delay. 130.00 difference between the two, but i have faith the warn is a superior product.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
By the way, fyi, warn wireless remote is great, makes re-spooling 1 man job, though there is a slight delay, not as bad as my buddy has with his harbour freight remote, but still a delay. 130.00 difference between the two, but i have faith the warn is a superior product.
Ran the warn 40xt on mine till this summer. Good winch about 5.5 yrs only had to work on it once. The badlands 5k pulls alot better but id expect that from a 5k vs a 4k. You can get the add on wireless from amazon for about 8-10 bucks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!