P500 Winch Install : DIY or not?

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Now that my Torq locker is installed and properly functioning. ( Very proud of myself for that.) My next mod is to add the StrongMade bumper and a KFI winch. The bumper install looks to be a smooth install, the winch ... Looks way beyond my capabilities due to the electrical components. I have no understanding of the electronics involved. I have power steering and the Honda sub harness installed. However, I did not install those myself. I would love to tackle it as a DIY, but thinking I should just pass the buck and pony up for someone else to do it. For my peace of mind, I would like to know it is done properly and will be reliable. Any thoughts or advice from those who have added a winch?

E0FE08E8 B00D 4A4F 978E AECAEB18A717

advertisement
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Bring your rig out my way and I will install it. You can install the locker on mine:)
That is quite a trip from KY or I would take you up on that. I actually enjoyed installing the locker.. opening the case made me nervous but once it was done and reinstalled... It was kind of a high knowing I did it and it worked.

I agree with everyone - you can do it. I did it with a whole bunch of additions which although nice are not necessary. I made an overview video of my installation, it might help ease your concerns -
Thanks! I will check that out.

Reactions: CaboJim
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Yep you could do it no problem 😉
Hell, if you did the locker successfully yourself, a winch is a walk in the park....😎
Agree, you can do it.
Wiring is the easy part, the directions tell you what hooks where. Aside from that it's just routing and zip ties.

Thanks for the encouragement. Dang it.. now I feel like I have to DIY it.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The wiring is all color coded. And stickers or paint on the spots it goes on the solenoid. It’s way easier than installing a locker.

Reactions: KyGal83