P500 Winch power thru fuse box?

R

rsttoole

Sep 22, 2018
Boise, id
Ownership

1. 500
I already have my superwinch installed. I want to add a fuse box for additional accessories.
How do folks power the new fuse box? Run another wire back to the battery?
Feed from the power at the winch solenoid? Feed the power to the new fuse block then pull power from there to the winch solenoid?
Thanks for the advice, pictures etc

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi, seen people do it all kinds of right and wrong ways. Lol.

In my opinion.
The winch main lines should be on it's own full circut. Meaning both + and - to the battery. I dont recomend pulling accessory power from these lines as it "could" shock them under heavy loads.

I recomend a second 12v+ line just for accessories. A bus bar works great once up front. For ground you can create a solid frame ground anywhere or run back to the battery if you wish.

Hoped that helps.

R

rsttoole

Sep 22, 2018
Boise, id
Ownership

1. 500
Hi, seen people do it all kinds of right and wrong ways. Lol.

In my opinion.
The winch main lines should be on it's own full circut. Meaning both + and - to the battery. I dont recomend pulling accessory power from these lines as it "could" shock them under heavy loads.

I recomend a second 12v+ line just for accessories. A bus bar works great once up front. For ground you can create a solid frame ground anywhere or run back to the battery if you wish.

Hoped that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply
I like the idea of a separate feed for the fuse box. Right now I have my fuse for my winch in the battery box so it makes it really tight. I used the fuse that came with my super winch 3500. Where else are people mounting the fuse for the winch? What other fuses/breakers is everybody using? Some place close to the battery and weather tight I assume?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for the quick reply
I like the idea of a separate feed for the fuse box. Right now I have my fuse for my winch in the battery box so it makes it really tight. I used the fuse that came with my super winch 3500. Where else are people mounting the fuse for the winch? What other fuses/breakers is everybody using? Some place close to the battery and weather tight I assume?
Not really.
Most actually remove them and many brands dont include one.
Reason is the fuse will kick in when you need it the most. Its self resetting so your stuck until it cools down.

If you want one... Loose the superwinch version and look at a 250+ amp breaker. But put it in a place you can get to it for reset.

My .02 cents.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I did the high amp Bussman switched waterproof breaker mounted close to the battery on the frame behind passenger seat, then more 6 ga. wire to terminal blocks under the hood, minor expense (about $30 at auto store) for piece of mind with that breaker . Powered the winch off that 6ga terminal. Easy reset if it trips but hasn’t yet. Used the OEM sub-harness as separate power circuit for low amp radio, horn and work light.

7F4EFC4E B12B 4C52 98FF 393AFE4EF037 CF1F40CF DC22 4BE1 B2B3 5A49BFC0BBEF

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I ran dedicated 6 gage wire from batter to a blue sea bus bar under hood. I run my front and rear led lights off of this as well. Fuse is between bus bar and winch but thought about leaving it off. I also installed a disconnect switch for power to bus bar as the wireless winch controller would run down my battery if i did not ride it often.

L

Lah2420

Dec 31, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I would not run a piece of unfused 6 gauge wire all the way from the battery to the front. Watching a brand new Bronco burn to the ground because the owner(not me) was too cheap to buy a fuse or breaker made a believer in fuses out of me. He didn't want to pay my shop to install two way radios because we put "unnecessary" items like that in.

Reactions: Mudder
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I would not run a piece of unfused 6 gauge wire all the way from the battery to the front. Watching a brand new Bronco burn to the ground because the owner(not me) was too cheap to buy a fuse or breaker made a believer in fuses out of me. He didn't want to pay my shop to install two way radios because we put "unnecessary" items like that in.
I installed the fuse but in the front before the bus bar. Just think of all the high guage wires ran in cars and our SxS's. I have had several cars with batteries in the trunk with no fuse until under the hood. Just have to be diligent on how you run them.

R

rsttoole

Sep 22, 2018
Boise, id
Ownership

1. 500
So I plan on running a dedicated 6 ga from my battery to my blue sea fuse panel. Has anyone put a relay before the fuse panel so it is only powered when the ignition is on?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree, choosing to mount the circuit breaker next to the battery with no wire rub points was an ounce of prevention for my piece of mind. Even covered the wire to the hood with split wire loom when I saw how inexpensive it was. Bare wires from rubbing or from a hungry rodent not good, especially since the SxS stays in the barn.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!