P500 Winch Routing

B

bskerj

May 31, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I am getting ready to install the Warn Winch on my 500 that was thrown in as a inducement to buy.
My concern is that according to the instructions I have to literally "gut" the battery box in order to run the hot cable to the starter relay switch. Is there a easier way ? I have installed winches on Foremans before and it never was this complicated. Thanks in advance.

Image Image Image Image

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Without "gutting" the battery box I installed a winch and a dual battery setup which required running four 6 gauge + and - cables into the OEM box as well as a sizeable 100 amp circuit breaker, no worries.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am getting ready to install the Warn Winch on my 500 that was thrown in as a inducement to buy.
My concern is that according to the instructions I have to literally "gut" the battery box in order to run the hot cable to the starter relay switch. Is there a easier way ? I have installed winches on Foremans before and it never was this complicated. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 19385 View attachment 19386 View attachment 19387 View attachment 19388
Just run the hot and ground leads to the battery. Have to get a little creative with the routing in the box to get the cover back on.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can do it without taking the battery box off the machine. Just remove the battery, slip the starter relay off the mounting tabs, unbolt the battery box, unclip the cable guide on the backside (allows the box to be tipped out ) , and then you can safely drill the hole on the side of the battery box. When drilling with the hole saw, just be careful to not push it thru too hard and watch from the inside of the battery box as the hole saw is slowly coming thru. That way you won't get into the starter relay mounting tab and break it.
But to route the positive lead as per instructions, it's best to remove the rear fenders/rack assy. and slip the air box off the throttle body.
Damn, sounds like a lot of work to hook up some power cables!
That's why I rarely follow instructions. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Damn, sounds like a lot of work to hook up some power cables!
That's why I rarely follow instructions. ;)
It's not even necessary, zip tied very tightly together, I ran all my cables (for dual battery, winch, etc.) right up through the channel on the box that the OEM cables exit at. Looks clean and tight, and all I had to do was remove the cover and replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It's not even necessary, zip tied very tightly together, I ran all my cables (for dual battery, winch, etc.) right up through the channel on the box that the OEM cables exit at. Looks clean and tight, and all I had to do was remove the cover and replace it.
That's what I did.

Reactions: Montecresto
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Without "gutting" the battery box I installed a winch and a dual battery setup which required running four 6 gauge + and - cables into the OEM box as well as a sizeable 100 amp circuit breaker, no worries.
Installed my 6 ga to front, able to fit in battery box, noticed the box has openings in back,so it is not totally sealed. removed skid pans which made it much easier. Used split wire protection, tied to existing harness for routing to keep clearance from rubs, Bussman waterproof switchable breaker. Badland winch on Strongmade bumper on P500. Bought 10 ft of wire.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Installed my 6 ga to front, able to fit in battery box, noticed the box has openings in back,so it is not totally sealed. removed skid pans which made it much easier. Used split wire protection, tied to existing harness for routing to keep clearance from rubs, Bussman waterproof switchable breaker. Badland winch on Strongmade bumper on P500. Bought 10 ft of wire.
Excellent, sounds as though you're set up well!

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Rule #1...pics or it didn't happen. o_O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!