P500 winch worked sporadically

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I've been fighting my Warn 2500 winch since almost day one. It would work perfect for a while and then nothing. Over the last year I gradually got nothing a lot more than working, until I went to nothing almost all the time. Of course when I took it in to the dealer it worked perfectly. I have checked connections, switches, solenoids and could find nothing wrong. Winch would work perfectly jumped straight from battery with jumper cables. After rechecking all connections again, I got to looking at the ground from the solenoid contactor block to the frame, I unbolted it from the frame and moved it to a spot on the frame where I could get a grinder to it to polish off all the paint down to shiny metal. After rebolting the ground to the frame everything works perfectly. I should have known to check for a ground problem when I had a screwy electric problem, but since it was installed at a dealership I wrongly assumed that connection was OK. Maybe this will save someone else a lot of time and hassle.

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Glad you got it going, all my past electrical accessory gremlins have been from the same source not getting them properly grounded.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Glad it was a simple fix and not a bad winch or something. A bad ground wire is sometimes a head ache but when found a relief. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!