P500 Winch

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I use a cheap "Champion" and it worked well enough, but the button box itself was huge because it did not use relays. Initially I thought having no relays would reduce failures since the relays don't like to get submerged, but the switch box/remote needed 4 BIG wires ran through it and that really sucks, so I purchased a relay kit on Ebay and changed it out and it has been working for 2 seasons of harsh conditions. I also purchased a $70 winch at Xmas time from Rural king that also had a wireless remote, I figured I could use it as a backup if my Champion fails, plus I have a wireless remote kit in that box that I could add at any time) but so far so good with the cheap Champion. I have never heard much BAD about the Harbor Freight winches, I would buy one in a second.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I use a cheap "Champion" and it worked well enough, but the button box itself was huge because it did not use relays. Initially I thought having no relays would reduce failures since the relays don't like to get submerged, but the switch box/remote needed 4 BIG wires ran through it and that really sucks, so I purchased a relay kit on Ebay and changed it out and it has been working for 2 seasons of harsh conditions. I also purchased a $70 winch at Xmas time from Rural king that also had a wireless remote, I figured I could use it as a backup if my Champion fails, plus I have a wireless remote kit in that box that I could add at any time) but so far so good with the cheap Champion. I have never heard much BAD about the Harbor Freight winches, I would buy one in a second.
My neighbor told me he started out with a cheap winch and it didn't last.....he suggested a Warn or SuperWinch.....he has a Warn now and hasn't had any problem with it....this stuff is all new to me.
I was tooling around with one of these before getting a P500.....never had any problems with it in the 3 years I had it...

80ccMotorizedBicycle a

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have a bad land 3500 with the badlands synthetic rope. I have worked it hard on several occasions with no problems. Once I had to winch my machine close to 100yards up an extemly steep hill to bring a deer out of the woods and the winch never gave up. Two points about this situation 1. I did let it rest a little bit while changing anchor points and 2. I didn't shoot the deer a friend did. My deer never run off and require this much stupid work to retrieve!

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Harbor Freight 2500 with remote control, it has the wire that I've ran for 2 snow seasons and has worked well. I have a KFI 72" plow -no problems. It's a pain to run the wiring but not to difficult. A wench is well worth putting on no question.

Good luck

Reactions: RumpRocket
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Harbor Freight 2500 with remote control, it has the wire that I've ran for 2 snow seasons and has worked well. I have a KFI 72" plow -no problems. It's a pain to run the wiring but not to difficult. A wench is well worth putting on no question.

Good luck

got to love spell check....

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500

Good luck
Some people claim to have very good luck with Harbor Freight winch's and are very happy with them.....I don't think you can beat the prices for them....I was looking at the ones in Tractor Supply too...the prices not to bad.

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Wait for the many sales Harbor Freight has most every week, then cut out the 20% coupon then you have it at a great price.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500

Good luck
2500lb is pretty small pulling that thing through a mud hole or up a hill. Cheaper brand would justify bigger winch, IMO.
I concur with my learned friend. A 3,500 lbs wench is probably best on a P5.

advertisement
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Some people claim to have very good luck with Harbor Freight winch's and are very happy with them.....I don't think you can beat the prices for them....I was looking at the ones in Tractor Supply too...the prices not to bad.

Have you ever seen the fairleads that come with the Tractor Supply "Traveller" winches ? Looks like they came out of a cracker jack box :D

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Good luck
If I was single (or if I wanted to be single again) I would certainly consider a wench. :D

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What winch do you have?
What winch would you suggest?
What problems have you had?
Is it Water Proof?
Are they hard to install?

4500 Viper
The biggest you can afford
Winch was too small
Yes
No

I stuck my 1000 so bad in my back yard yesterday pulling my trailer that double lined on the first layer I was dragging my wife’s explorer and my 1500 Crew 10,000lbs combined. (Yard was wet but not muddy under the cars)

Ended up with a mini-excavator barely getting it out.

Get the biggest winch you can afford, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Which ever you choose, use caution when winching for the weakest link, may be the winch mount hardware/ubolts or bumper, or the front wheel suspension if up against a rock/root or deep hole.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!