P1000 Winching from an angle?

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After a trip to Mill Creek in Arkansas and seeing some climbs I'd like to have a safety net on, how do you use a winch from an angle without pileup? I have never liked the idea of using one without being able to level wind the cable back on. I went so far on my old Foreman as to mount a cheap winch on a pin on swinging frame with a lay down fairlead nose a foot out from the drum to always keep the drum perpendicular to the line. Only tested it and it worked but stuck out front considerably. I'm a flatlander and don't mud and would seldom have something to pull on anyway.
I am considering building a handheld unit with my old 'A' frame fairlead on it which could be hooked onto a D ring on the front or rear and have a high amp plug on both ends to power it from. I am not a rock crawler but would like something better than a come along!

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KIMG0096

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few tree savers and a snatch block would do the trick. Simple.
All well and good provided one has all the needed gear stored somewhere on a small vehicle, there are multiple sufficient pull points within reach, and all arranged juuussst right. Bit of a roll of the dice and a fingers crossed plan. Not what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Lady01
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wrap the tree savers tight around the roll cage or tuck them under the seat. The snatch block will fit in the glove compartment. As far as pull points, that’s just part of riding, no way to answer that unless you have a earth anchor then all your problems are eliminated.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You mentioned you don’t want a roll of the dice, fingers crossed plan. No offense but this winch you posted in the picture is definitely a “roll of the dice, fingers crossed” type winch.
Very true! That was 20 years ago on my old Foreman. I have a good 3K and a 4K planetary to choose from now.
I should have mentioned, when we go to ride, our P1K-5 is loaded to the hilt with 4 kids, me, my wife and all the attendant crap that goes along with an all day out trip. When we go to Colorado, I even use a rear receiver cargo rack and bag for everything so our buggy gets small quick. Even if me and my oldest are on my Rinny as on this last trip, it's still packed.
I like to think outside the box on stuff like this and have never liked the idea of a hard mount winch because of the side loading that is going to happen unless force level wound like a baitcast reel. I have a 6K Liftmoore crane on my service truck and NEVER let it free spool or cross wind. I'm rolling a vertical mount idea around in my head at the moment. Plug it into a receiver front and back with mounted jumper cable plugs for power. A horizontal hinge for vertical angle and a removable fairlead similar to my earlier pic. In my head, it could be quicker than all the rigging for a straight line pull. It would be like the cheap auto recovery winches one can stow in their car trunk.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's kind of my idea. Free to adjust to pull direction. What I'm going for now is receiver tube mounted and fixed in place likely on front when not in use. I'll have one built and post pics before our planned Mill Creek return sometime this summer. I wouldn't attempt the blue outer loop without one.

Reactions: sharp and Lady01
advertisement
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone tried one of these.
I saw them on fleabay but figure they wouldn't be able to pull a whole lot using just rope and it would likely be a two person operation for holding tension on the outlet side of the capstan and another in the rig operating it. Those I think are used in arbor trimming work mostly.

74UAFJ

Mar 16, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You're over thinking this. People have been winching from severe angles since the winch was invented. Hence the fairlead.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe so but I'd rather try to build a better mousetrap. A typical fairlead has little side to side control over the cable. Look at a dragline. They don't allow for cable pileup on the drum on the bucket drag line. I have a and old military duece winch on a trailer frame I use for tractor wrecking and the worst part of it is no control and it is damaging the cable because of it. Shouldn't have asked the question because as usual it's just keep doing it the old way everyone else does. Don't think outside the little box.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe so but I'd rather try to build a better mousetrap. A typical fairlead has little side to side control over the cable. Look at a dragline. They don't allow for cable pileup on the drum on the bucket drag line. I have a and old military duece winch on a trailer frame I use for tractor wrecking and the worst part of it is no control and it is damaging the cable because of it. Shouldn't have asked the question because as usual it's just keep doing it the old way everyone else does. Don't think outside the little box.
If your worried about the cable then switch to synthetic. Easier to work with and every bit as strong. If it were to break just tie it back together it’s also a lot safer.

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only way to alleviate sharp angles out of the winch (which is what I think you are referring to) is being able to utilize a change of direction pulley anchored to a tree or some pickets driven into the ground to get the cable at an angle you want.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!