P700 Windshield issue, I need a new one.

L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a new 700 Deluxe in early Dec. I had a Honda windshield installed. I hate this windshield. It was supposed to be scratch resistant and it is not. Lots of micro scratch's . Driving into the sun, I have to stick my head out to see because the glare is so bad. Also the aluminum top support has cracked in half and is now buckling in. I am in the market for a new windshield. I was thinking a Super ATV unit. I have a roof, so the new windshield would have to fit with that. I have put a EMP windshield on a RZR I had and was very happy. Anyway, input for a new aftermarket windshield would be appreciated. The good and the bad.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Aluminum top support on a factory honda 700 windsheild? Which one do you have? Is yours hardcoated? I have a honda 2 piece hardcoated windsheild on mine since new (2015) with barely a scratch on it.

L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Aluminum top support on a factory honda 700 windsheild? Which one do you have? Is yours hardcoated? I have a honda 2 piece hardcoated windsheild on mine since new (2015) with barely a scratch on it.
It is a two piece windshield, the top support is aluminum, Honda accessory. It was supposed to be hard coated. I have scratch's. I need a new windshield. Any advice.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Like i said i have the hardcoat windsheild and for me its fine. I dont hardly ever wipe it when it gets dirty, i always hose it off and sometimes clean it with a really soft brizzle brush and soapy water. My guess is that you were sold a non hardcoat windsheild unless you were wiping mud off from it with your hand.

Reactions: Lamascota
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
there have been lots of discussions over the years on motorcycle forums.
-There are some window cleaners that say on the label, not for plexiglass or lexan. you might want to look at what you are using and consider switching to soap and water.
-If you have quite a bit of dirt or bugs, rubbing hard with a towel will grind it in like sandpaper. With a warm towel, softly go over the dirt/bugs and let it soften it up a bit.
-Lastly, wipe (not rub) the windshield left to right. It will minimize those minor scratches if you create some. If you rub in circles or multiple directions, then the light will refract in all manner of angles and really make it hard to see.

If this all sounds overly picky, I would agree. But once I scratched up one soon after a purchase, I have followed these steps and not had an issue since.

D

Deleted member 3748

there have been lots of discussions over the years on motorcycle forums.
-There are some window cleaners that say on the label, not for plexiglass or lexan. you might want to look at what you are using and consider switching to soap and water.
-If you have quite a bit of dirt or bugs, rubbing hard with a towel will grind it in like sandpaper. With a warm towel, softly go over the dirt/bugs and let it soften it up a bit.
-Lastly, wipe (not rub) the windshield left to right. It will minimize those minor scratches if you create some. If you rub in circles or multiple directions, then the light will refract in all manner of angles and really make it hard to see.

If this all sounds overly picky, I would agree. But once I scratched up one soon after a purchase, I have followed these steps and not had an issue since.
I clean mine with a pressure washer and dry it off with a leaf blower.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
6DB6E7B5 8D22 4768 A30A 3F01A971F231
I run a half windshield. No cleaning or worrying about scratches. It deflects enough air to notice at speed. I run a lot of mud and a full windshield would be covered quick. If I were to go full windshield it would be glass and only for winter riding. But even then I’ll need a wiper and maybe a defroster.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Before you take it off, try this: clean it very well, then heat it with a heat gun, it will make the small scratches disappear. When the area clears up, move to the next area, just heat it enough to make the scratches disappear.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well guys, I guess I had a senior moment. I thought I bought the hardcoated windshield. I guess I did not. So I have been looking online and have narrowed it down to Super ATV hardcoated flip up windshield or a Seizmik hardcoated windshield. I m normally a buy, cry once type of guy, I don't know how I ended up with a non hardcoated windshield in the first place.

Reactions: Mudwing and L2R
H

Hammer_700

May 5, 2019
Hartford Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well guys, I guess I had a senior moment. I thought I bought the hardcoated windshield. I guess I did not. So I have been looking online and have narrowed it down to Super ATV hardcoated flip up windshield or a Seizmik hardcoated windshield. I m normally a buy, cry once type of guy, I don't know how I ended up with a non hardcoated windshield in the first place.

I have been riding all weekend with the seizmik windshield in TN. I like the vents but I rode in a friend of mine pioneer with the flip out and loved it. Taking mine off and getting the flip out. Only disadvantage I see is leaning on a slope that windshield is sticking straight out. Could get caught on sonething

L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been riding all weekend with the seizmik windshield in TN. I like the vents but I rode in a friend of mine pioneer with the flip out and loved it. Taking mine off and getting the flip out. Only disadvantage I see is leaning on a slope that windshield is sticking straight out. Could get caught on sonething
Thanks so much for the feedback. It is a big plus that you have experienced both.

Reactions: Mudwing
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I did have the Honda hardcoated windshield on my 2015 500 and still managed to scratch it up so bad you couldn't see out of it going into the sun. Before I threw it in the trash my niece, who owns an auto glass shop took it and cut out the middle of the windshield. They left the outside edges all the way around and placed a flat piece of laminated windshield glass on to it. They glued it in place with the black glue they put windshield in now. I was really not expecting the glue to hold, but it has. Worked out great and a lot cheaper than replacing it with a new windshield. More details here:

P500 - New Glass Windshield on a plastic windsheild frame.

H

HondaTech

You sure that's a Honda brand accessory?

No folding windshield I've ever installed has had an aluminum support on it. Did you happen to get a soft top as well?

L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
You sure that's a Honda brand accessory?

No folding windshield I've ever installed has had an aluminum support on it. Did you happen to get a soft top as well?
It was a Honda windshield and it had black paint on the top inside of the windshield, when it cracked I "assumed" it was aluminum. As I looked harder, it realized it was all plastic. I I now have the super ATV flip up and have put over 200 miles on it and I really like it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!