P1000 Windshield without a top?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have read here and elsewhere that adding a windshield vastly increases the heat in the cab area.

I have also noticed that most Jeeps run with windshield and no roof in the summer time.

So has anyone tried running with a windshield and no roof? Does it improve the heat or do you still have the same suction pulling heat into the cab area?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
you will get more air flow with no windshield. More air flow = less heat in my neck of the woods. I take the upper portion of my windshield off during the warmer months, much better riding with the wind in your face.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
you will get more air flow with no windshield. More air flow = less heat in my neck of the woods. I take the upper portion of my windshield off during the warmer months, much better riding with the wind in your face.

I actually don't have a windshield at all right now. I was just browsing around looking at them (my wife wants one for winter riding) and I got to thinking about all the Jeeps I had seen without a top and wondered if it had any effect on that low pressure vacuum that pulls heat into the cab area.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We fastened our fabric roof in a way so we can unhook the front straps and roll it all the way back and snug it with velcro straps to the rear bar. It makes it cooler in the cab but still has a back draft from solid windshield. Plus I enjoy the open sky and sun on nice days.

Reactions: dotman1 and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have read here and elsewhere that adding a windshield vastly increases the heat in the cab area.

I have also noticed that most Jeeps run with windshield and no roof in the summer time.

So has anyone tried running with a windshield and no roof? Does it improve the heat or do you still have the same suction pulling heat into the cab area?
Spidershade keep tops make a netting shade for the P1000 I hear - I keep wanting to investigate further as I like the idea of something that gives a little shade but still lets the air and sun in.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'd go full glass when cold and Honda partial when hot. Easy to change out. But that's me

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey Crow do you still have the Honda?? I heard you got the Defender

Reactions: JTW
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The reports of my conversion have been greatly exaggerated. (My apologies to Mr. Clemens)

I still have my Honda. As a matter of fact I just ordered a underseat storage thing for it the other day.

I intend to keep it until either it fails me and Honda won't fix it or something else comes along that is vastly superior. The Defender is undoubtedly not superior based on my last test drive of a 2017 model and hanging around on the Defender bookface page. (Not to mention the Pioneer was what my wife picked out and she really likes it.)

Plus, since there might be a pretty good chance that Honda now has a fix out there if I ever do have a problem, I will probably keep it around for a long time. (Which I had originally intended to do) I like lots of things about the machine other than worrying about the clutch all the time.

It is growing on me. I actually used it yesterday to drag off a 6-8" diameter tree that was a casualty to all these high winds we have been having lately. Dragged it quite nicely.

I am also planning on doing a pretty long ride tomorrow with my brother and maybe one of his friends to look at fields and such. Should be a good test.

So you guys haven't gotten rid of me yet. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'd go full glass when cold and Honda partial when hot. Easy to change out. But that's me

That is probably what I will do when it cools back off again. Not much of a reason for it now other than getting bugs in the face but hey, that is how you can tell if I am happy or not. (Count the bugs in my teeth.)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The reports of my conversion have been greatly exaggerated. (My apologies to Mr. Clemens)

I still have my Honda. As a matter of fact I just ordered a underseat storage thing for it the other day.

I intend to keep it until either it fails me and Honda won't fix it or something else comes along that is vastly superior. The Defender is undoubtedly not superior based on my last test drive of a 2017 model and hanging around on the Defender bookface page. (Not to mention the Pioneer was what my wife picked out and she really likes it.)

Plus, since there might be a pretty good chance that Honda now has a fix out there if I ever do have a problem, I will probably keep it around for a long time. (Which I had originally intended to do) I like lots of things about the machine other than worrying about the clutch all the time.

It is growing on me. I actually used it yesterday to drag off a 6-8" diameter tree that was a casualty to all these high winds we have been having lately. Dragged it quite nicely.

I am also planning on doing a pretty long ride tomorrow with my brother and maybe one of his friends to look at fields and such. Should be a good test.

So you guys haven't gotten rid of me yet. :)
I thought you traded for the Defender then traded back or something like that. Glad to see your getting more comfortable with the Honda. Hopefully you're doing good it's been awhile

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is probably what I will do when it cools back off again. Not much of a reason for it now other than getting bugs in the face but hey, that is how you can tell if I am happy or not. (Count the bugs in my teeth.)
Where you been ? Dam near 6 months or better.

J

JTW

Spidershade keep tops make a netting shade for the P1000 I hear - I keep wanting to investigate further as I like the idea of something that gives a little shade but still lets the air and sun in.
I just emailed Alien to see if we can get windshields and tops made by them... based off their Bimini and full roof shades we should be around $50 for windshields and $100 for roof shades.. what they already have may work. But I'm going to see if they won't tailor to our sizes a little better.

Alien Sunshade For Jeep Wrangler - Mesh Bikini Tops for Jeep Lovers

Who all would be interested??

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Where you been ? Dam near 6 months or better.

I took a break from the forums. At the time either I was getting mad about the problems others were having with Honda or worrying about my machine or just being jealous of everyone that was out actually getting to enjoy their machines.

I have since had a serious health issue and it has made me realize to just let stuff go.

So now I am back.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I took a break from the forums. At the time either I was getting mad about the problems others were having with Honda or worrying about my machine or just being jealous of everyone that was out actually getting to enjoy their machines.

I have since had a serious health issue and it has made me realize to just let stuff go.

So now I am back.
Hopefully you're letting a couple things go like you say. I had to a little too. Sometimes it's much more fun to go enjoy the beast then to sweat the small stuff. It's still the best damn 1000 out there!

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I'm with CP on this one. "IF" it ever stops raining and finally warms up around here, (only supposed to be 41* tomorrow with a 15-20 mph North wind) I'll likely get a partial. I bought the underseat heat shield but haven't even put it on since I've been needing and enjoying the extra warmth. The only problem with the full glass is that I'm going to have to get a windshield wiper.

J

JTW

So now I am back.
I hear hysterectomies are painful!!

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!