Winter Weather Warmth. What do you Wear?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you guys wearing while you’re out riding your pioneers on winter trails? Are you guys using some type of heated suits or just lots of long John underwear and wool? I took the P5 out for a spin today in my “yard” even though I was wearing some ski pants and gloves I was pretty much frost bit by the time I got back. I have a full windshield and roof plus the rear panel but a lot of stuff blew in from the side. Wondering if some type of doors are a good investment? Also curious as to whether or not a good heated suit something is worth buying. I’m not really familiar with them other than from what I’ve seen With motorcyclists. How do you plug one in and where do you plug it into? Do they work well or should I just do some doors? I know that removing the heat/noise barrier I made would increase cab heat but I can’t imaging it’d be much with no doors and then there’s the noise to deal with. Any comments welcome and thankee.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you guys wearing while you’re out riding your pioneers on winter trails? Are you guys using some type of heated suits or just lots of long John underwear and wool? I took the P5 out for a spin today in my “yard” even though I was wearing some ski pants and gloves I was pretty much frost bit by the time I got back. I have a full windshield and roof plus the rear panel but a lot of stuff blew in from the side. Wondering if some type of doors are a good investment? Also curious as to whether or not a good heated suit something is worth buying. I’m not really familiar with them other than from what I’ve seen With motorcyclists. How do you plug one in and where do you plug it into? Do they work well or should I just do some doors? I know that removing the heat/noise barrier I made would increase cab heat but I can’t imaging it’d be much with no doors and then there’s the noise to deal with. Any comments welcome and thankee.

Soft cab makes 10 degree weather comfy with basic gloves and a good pair of thermal underwear in addition to a heavy jacket. I rode around this morning at 40-60mph at times in 10 degree weather and was comfy for a few hours but would get cold standing around outside. I don't even have the gaps filled in and I probably won't after running around today.

I had considered a heater but you really don't need it unless you want to wear a t-shirt and flip-flops in the winter.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
yup, turn the heater on and off we go, no need to over dress

D

Deleted member 3748

I don't wear too much out of the ordinary for cold weather. Whatever I'm wearing inside the house, plus a hoodie, ski pants, winter jacket, mittens (with gloves inside), and some quality winter boots and this hat that covers nearly all of my head and face. This is for real winter, not your North Carolina winter. If I was in NC, I'd be wearing shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops in the winter. :cool:

My P500 has a soft top and a full windshield only.

DSCN9461

D

Deleted member 3748

These are the boots I wear. Rated to -40F https://amazon.com/gp/product/B001FQ1FES/?tag=sxsweb24-20

This is the hat. It was an experiment with this weird brand but it ended up being nice. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7DAMCQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

The gloves with a mitten outer shell are getting hard to find. I may go with just a mitten for cold days. Find some insulated ski pants and a Carhartt with a hood and you should be good to go.

DSCN9371

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode 70 miles 2 weeks ago with temps -10 to 0°F. We we're getting about 9mpg and our speed as typically 45-55mph (little bit of wind chill on top of the high winds). I had a half windshield and no doors. I was wearing Cortech snowmobile gloves, Carhartt bibs, Carhartt jacket and a balaclava. I was pretty happy to be riding.

I did grab the Fly racing "winter" nose piece the other day so my front helmet vents are blocked like a snowmobile helmet.

My buddies were dressed about the same
IMG 20180106 093531572 HDR

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Guess that would depend on if we had full enclosure on or not. If it’s on we’re we were warm as hell in t-shirts no heater, while it’s off Carhart jacket and a couple sweatshirts on and was pretty good. I hate riding with gloves or winter crap on (ask @WillyBill he made fun of me)
If you get that 1000 you’ll find they have a lot of built in heat. I did throw a couple 3in fans in the last Pioneer from engine bay into the cab earlier this spring and that was immense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m also concerned about keeping the sidekick warm too...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Long underwear under heavy sweatpants and heavy hoody,carrhart or dicky bibs with heavy jacket with hood.Leather glove with thin liners and Bogg rubber insulated boots.I don't like coveralls cause if you get to hot you can't remove jacket.And if your drinking and making pizz stops you have a hard time finding your Dork:DDont forget you Honda SXS palmed hat;) and I wear a balaclava

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m also concerned about keeping the sidekick warm too...
Get that 1000 throw on glass factory windshield fabric doors and a mid section and I promise you’ll stay warm. Not pushing ya but you brought it up and our trips would be quicker:)

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
the best thing i bought was a pair of fleece lined blue jeans. between those, long johns, carhart bibs, long john top, shirt, sweater, hoodie, polar shield jacket, beanie, and beaver hat im normally good lol.....oh and a set of seat heaters off amazon. almost forgot glove liners and gloves.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use arctic Carhartt bibs, Heated hoody, reg winter coat. and some nice gloves.
Being a Canuck, I always wear a touque. or head covering of some sort.

Looking into finding some 12v heated gloves to loose some bulk in my hands.
no mid panel or doors, just 2 piece windshield right now.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use arctic Carhartt bibs, Heated hoody, reg winter coat. and some nice gloves.
Being a Canuck, I always wear a touque. or head covering of some sort.

Looking into finding some 12v heated gloves to loose some bulk in my hands.
no mid panel or doors, just 2 piece windshield right now.
Thank you for using the proper name of touque. I've lived in TN for almost 20yrs now and if I had a nickel for everytime I corrected someone on their pronunciation I'd be rich:rolleyes:

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for using the proper name of touque. I've lived in TN for almost 20yrs now and if I had a nickel for everytime I corrected someone on their pronunciation I'd be rich:rolleyes:
The first U can be used or not. Either way is considered proper spelling.

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
The first U can be used or not. Either way is considered proper spelling.
I only have a roof and windshield. I ride all year long. I am glad I don’t live in Alaska. It gets pretty cold in WV. LOL. I don’t wear an arctic suit.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What are you guys wearing while you’re out riding your pioneers on winter trails?
I have a friend that’s a lineman for a power company and I asked him what he wears, they are crazy insulated coveralls. They’re at my NM property. If you’re interested I’ll post what they are when I’m there next.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regardless of how it looks, I wear a set of disposable coveralls (Tyvek). Best cold weather wear I've ever used. Keeps body heat from escaping. Oh and my Russian fur lined hat of course.

россия для жизни
rossiya dlya zhizni

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!