P1000m5 Wiring harnesses and relay organization.

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
As I am working through this self quarantine and social distancing like the rest of my high risk friends I am preocupying myself with more lights and mods on my pioneer. I know you guys have some ideas that will help my wiring overload. I have side pods, rear pods, front light bars. Now I am installing a switch plate. Rough Country Front pods, Rough Country light bar to replace one of the others. And adding a turn signal/horn kit. I have the swich panel all figured out but boy am I running out of room for all the relays and coils of extra wire.
Anyone have a good solution or pictures of ideas that I have obviously not thought of yet?
Once I get the electrical stuff done I am tackling the Mudbusters install.
I appreciate all of your help, ideas, and of course pictures. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I am working through this self quarantine and social distancing like the rest of my high risk friends I am preocupying myself with more lights and mods on my pioneer. I know you guys have some ideas that will help my wiring overload. I have side pods, rear pods, front light bars. Now I am installing a switch plate. Rough Country Front pods, Rough Country light bar to replace one of the others. And adding a turn signal/horn kit. I have the swich panel all figured out but boy am I running out of room for all the relays and coils of extra wire.
Anyone have a good solution or pictures of ideas that I have obviously not thought of yet?
Once I get the electrical stuff done I am tackling the Mudbusters install.
I appreciate all of your help, ideas, and of course pictures. Thanks guys!

There’s many ways to do it, @Hondasxs can build you a custom panel or you’re running short on space.

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
H ummm. I have a PBR panel. I have the switches. I just seems that every light, pods, or accessory comes with a wireing loom with relays. It is finding the place to attach all the relays under the hood that is challenging me.
I don't know, maybe some of these can be combined. I don't know.
I will keep reading and researching. Not like I have anything else to do for a few weeks evidently.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
H ummm. I have a PBR panel. I have the switches. I just seems that every light, pods, or accessory comes with a wireing loom with relays. It is finding the place to attach all the relays under the hood that is challenging me.
I don't know, maybe some of these can be combined. I don't know.
I will keep reading and researching. Not like I have anything else to do for a few weeks evidently.

How many do you have?

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
Two Rough Country looms that are large duel relay pods. A loom with a single relay that powers a small switch box above the driver side. And a good sized box that runs the turn signals and horn package.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These guys make some really nice stuff. I use it on my cars. It will cost you but you can make it as nice as you want with very little space used.

Reactions: BWAF
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two Rough Country looms that are large duel relay pods. A loom with a single relay that powers a small switch box above the driver side. And a good sized box that runs the turn signals and horn package.

I zip tie my relays to the bar above the battery.

Reactions: Haldog77 and BWAF
Ultrasonic1

Ultrasonic1

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Nomadic
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a gang switch that came with a relay/fuse box. Then cut free all of the harness that came with the lights and wired them to the relay box that came with the gang switch.

Reactions: Fdxjettech and BWAF
J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
I used a gang switch that came with a relay/fuse box. Then cut free all of the harness that came with the lights and wired them to the relay box that came with the gang switch.
I like that system. I am using that to run my side pods, rear pods, and my dash lights. It runs off of one relay.
The challenge I ran into was the addition of two Rough Country lights that both have the running light LEDs. Each loom has two large relays and 3 way switches. What can i say. I must be afraid of the dark. I have a friend that sayes he doesn't understand my obsession with lights as he has never seen me up before the sun and ussually in bed before dark. LOL
I just love the challenge.

Reactions: Ultrasonic1
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used switches and relays for years, they take forever to to wire take a lot of room and end up making the wiring look like a pot of spaghetti after several rounds of changes.

I highly recommend using the quick connection harnesses in the HondaSxS store they make splicing into the factory harness MUCH easier and cleaner, and Switch-Pros I have wired up two machines with them so far and it’s so much cleaner and FASTER. Using the two in conjunction EASY.

I’m in the middle of my Pioneer rewire.

Before but after several rounds of moves adds and changes and still wasn’t the final mess of spaghettiI had accomplished.
6D11E436 9F8E 4926 B716 B546385D939E

After (I still have 5wires to run from the PDM on the right to constant on accessories but they will be in a single loom and remount the horn)
062D22DF 0200 4899 AE65 CCB47E394248

I am waiting on mystic to get me my new switchplate.
DFBAFDE8 2BCC 496D 8904 1BF76634A6B0

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
Thank you for the pictures!
I do have a dual battery set up. But I am challenged by having a Honday OEM PDM taking up space. I am to cheap to take it out. But like you, I will probably be rewiring for quite a while looking for the perfect set up.
When I get it done I will post a picture of my spaghetti mess. lol

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the pictures!
I do have a dual battery set up. But I am challenged by having a Honday OEM PDM taking up space. I am to cheap to take it out. But like you, I will probably be rewiring for quite a while looking for the perfect set up.
When I get it done I will post a picture of my spaghetti mess. lol

Yup second batter is under the seat.
feeds to the relay to the left of the contractor.

Reactions: TripleB
helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the led pods dont draw much current, cut the harnesses and just wire em through the switches, as long as their fused your safe. Most good quality switches are good for 20amps. I would not run 15amps through em , but up to 10 doesnt worry me much

Last edited:
Fdxjettech

Fdxjettech

Oct 21, 2021
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be slightly elementary in my wiring knowledge, but couldn’t you use one switched relay to power a buss bar and run your power off the buss to your components?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of points . . . you don't need relays for everything, of course. Measure the current draw of things like pod lights on the bench. As an example, the Nilight pods, I recently installed, take a little more than 1 amp each, no more than 2-1/4 total. No need for a relay, run 18 GA or thicker wire to the switch and to the light and call it good. I removed the AUX fuse/relay box Honda had cleverly mounted in the spot I wanted to put the AUX battery. Slapped a bit of foam on top of the battery and cinched the whole thing down with a cam type cinch strap - easy and works great (strap hot melt glued to the sides of the battery well. See upper left corner in picture. To the left of that is a 75 amp Bosch relay I'm using to "key-on" switch half my fuse block. The other half is always on, for stuff like the horn, phone mount/charger, and pod and rear lights as they'll do double duty as work/convenience lights.

20210725 154202

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!