P1000 Wiring on bikes and mice eating wires

Pmed489

Pmed489

Sep 29, 2017
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
anyone having issues with mice/rats eating electrical wires on bikes stored for extended times. Rumor is that the coating of plastic is using some type of mixture of based product in the coating of the plastic. Any truth to this. Two newer bikes have had issues of this with older bikes not being touched.

Reactions: ChadD
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Rumor is true. New wire coating uses a soybean type of plastic that mice seem to love.
They make a spray and Honda even has there own "rodent" tape.
I would sprinkle moth balls around it if storing it for a long time.

Reactions: ChadD
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I spray oil based undercoating on my wiring and connectors, mice don't like oil... as far as the soybean based wire insulation, all the car makers use it now...

Reactions: Buggyman
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been having signs of mice under the hood of car/truck. I have been putting poison under those hoods for the past month or so, and under the Pioneer hood also. No wires eaten but the poison has been disappearing. Rats did eat the wires on friends 700 that was left in the woods at hunting camp.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At ace hardware you can pick up an led strobe light that flashes randomly. The critters hate the light and it just clips onto battery. Lots of pack rats here and I have to leave a car parked outside. Been using the system about 9 months now and no problem.

Reactions: CID and Lady01
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I own a Nuisance Wildlife Control business for the past 23 years. It is true about the plastic on wiring being vegetable based now. It used to be petroleum based years ago and we never had problems. Now I get calls all the time about wiring damage. Especially the wiring in your house. Squirrels love it! If you think you have squirrels in your attic, get them out ASAP!
As far as the mothballs and lights as a deterrent, that’s all B.S. It might make you feel better that you’re trying something but it doesn’t do a thing. You need to remove them from the area whether you use traps or poison. Keep mice traps set all the time in areas you might have mice. That’s the best way to prevent problems. If you don’t have traps set, by the time you realize you have problems, it’s usually too late. The good ol Victor snap traps will out catch all others 10/1.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
On (evil) amazon there are these mouse traps that are black plastic with some yellow on them. They are a bit more expensive than the wood ones but they WORK! I have yet to have a mouse steal the bait! If a mouse eats the peanut butter, they are dead, every time. And they are easy to set. I highly recommend them!

Also, a friend of mine has a really nice 68 440 charger. About 20 years ago it caught on fire in the dash when he got it out in the spring cuz of mice getting in there. He was able to get the car fixed up. Now he uses pure peppermint extract to repel them, and he swears by it. Hasn't had an issue since he started using that.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried the Irish spring soap cut up into tiny chunks, doesn’t work, the mice ate it. Trying the bounce dryer sheets now as I’ve heard they don’t like the smell, trying this in the camper. Best thing I’ve had at controlling them is just letting a black snake live in the shop.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
On (evil) amazon there are these mouse traps that are black plastic with some yellow on them. They are a bit more expensive than the wood ones but they WORK! I have yet to have a mouse steal the bait! If a mouse eats the peanut butter, they are dead, every time. And they are easy to set. I highly recommend them!

Also, a friend of mine has a really nice 68 440 charger. About 20 years ago it caught on fire in the dash when he got it out in the spring cuz of mice getting in there. He was able to get the car fixed up. Now he uses pure peppermint extract to repel them, and he swears by it. Hasn't had an issue since he started using that.
Got a link? 🤔

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A

aceranch1

Jan 15, 2021
Wichita
The only reason I feed a cat and have a cat door on my shop is because of this topic. When I see him murdering a mouse or pack rat it reaffirms my decision. Other than that I am not a cat lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The only reason I feed a cat and have a cat door on my shop is because of this topic. When I see him murdering a mouse or pack rat it reaffirms my decision. Other than that I am not a cat lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my shop (workplace), there used to be cats around. Problem was the other people working here fed the worthless things like 5 times a day. All they ever did was beg for food and crap on the floor. Even worse, they were both female and attracted tomcats so the shop eventually it was like the discovery channel with all the violet cat raping going on. I got rid of the cats. And now a few cheap mouse traps do the job better than they ever did!

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The reason some folks have problems with victor snap traps is because they are not baiting them correctly. First, always use peanut butter only. Always use the Pro model trap that has the large yellow plastic trip pan with the holes in it. Don’t use the old style with the metal trip bar. The small holes in the yellow trip pan are to put the PB in. Smash it into the small holes. NEVER pile a huge pile on top of the trip pan. You only need a tiny bit smashed into the holes. This makes the mice have to work at getting to the PB and will trip the trap every time.
As far as using any type of repellent. Ammonia, soap, peppermint oil, etc. These are all internet wise tales mostly perpetuated by hard core animal rights fanatics that don’t want the poor mice killed. Don’t fall for this nonsense. You are wasting your time. Repellents will only repel about a foot in any direction. This is not fixing your problem.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Trapping is the way to do it IMO. Poison is the lazy way. When a poisoned mouse or rat dies in a house wall you will know it. Besides a carcass can be eaten by pets and wildlife with resulting death.
I have always used the Victor mouse traps of days of old. The one with the metal trip bar that Amre2 says not to. I make sure the peanut butter is forced/smashed into the metal trip bar where it forms a tube. Same principal, the have to work to get it and trip the trap.
Rabbits can be a problem also. Been there.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The reason some folks have problems with victor snap traps is because they are not baiting them correctly. First, always use peanut butter only. Always use the Pro model trap that has the large yellow plastic trip pan with the holes in it. Don’t use the old style with the metal trip bar. The small holes in the yellow trip pan are to put the PB in. Smash it into the small holes. NEVER pile a huge pile on top of the trip pan. You only need a tiny bit smashed into the holes. This makes the mice have to work at getting to the PB and will trip the trap every time.
As far as using any type of repellent. Ammonia, soap, peppermint oil, etc. These are all internet wise tales mostly perpetuated by hard core animal rights fanatics that don’t want the poor mice killed. Don’t fall for this nonsense. You are wasting your time. Repellents will only repel about a foot in any direction. This is not fixing your problem.
I have a couple Black Snakes I let into my shop, no rodents.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a couple Black Snakes I let into my shop, no rodents.
I've had at least 4 garter snakes living in the yard for nearly 20 years. At one time I had mice in the garage (suburbia) and kept 4 boxes of D-Con pellets in the corners - they'd empty regularly. Thanks to the EPA, those pellets haven't be available for years but all 4 of those OLD boxes still have pellets in them - YAY snakes. 👍

The little bastards were stealing poison pellets and storing them for later. ROFL This is the airbox on my daily driver. :oops:
IMG 6739 L

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I go through this every winter as the little s***s move into my shop once cold starts setting in. I use the newer plastic snap traps as they are much easier to set and easily catch twice as many mice with those as the older wooden traps. I use peanut butter only and they can’t resist.. I never use poison as they just move it up into the vehicles and when they do die, it’s usually somewhere inconvenient.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!