P1000 Won’t start..

J

JTW

Mine did almost the same thing, would hardly start and begin missing when it did. Smelled fuel out the exhaust. Looked to be the front cylinder missing. Brought it to the dealer and same diagnosis, fouled plugs. They replaced them and been fine so far, but haven’t ridden it much.
Do you short trip yours a lot? Dad does, so I’m curious if that wasn’t the cause.. but it shouldn’t be as that’s not the only thing that it does.

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had it for about 6 months , rode around the yard and started or about every 2 weeks . Not many places to ride in Louisiana that’s not a mud pit. Went for a two day ride in Arkansas and it ran fine. Came home and about a month later started it and it was missing on the front cylinder. Next time I started it it ran fine. Was kind of hit or miss, then it was all the time. But for the first 6 months it did fine. The only thing was I pressure washed it when we got home, so could be water?

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Here’s one of the plugs...
51BCD2A9 F026 4699 A763 14753EDCC746
A6CCE30C B818 43A3 B5A8 48595B3BA970

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a long plug.
Yep. Better add 2 to the go box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
From what I can find. The hex is 9/16 or 14mm. Since 9/16 is .011 larger, I will get a 9/16 spark plug socket.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I changed mine a few months back and had to use the wrench from the "Honda tool kit" I did not have a socket that would fit. I cant remember the exact issue, but the tool worked. 4,000 mile and my old ones look a lot better than @JTW. I do not do short trips.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I changed mine a few months back and had to use the wrench from the "Honda tool kit" I did not have a socket that would fit. I cant remember the exact issue, but the tool worked. 4,000 mile and my old ones look a lot better than @JTW. I do not do short trips.

That’s my experience as well. I pulled them a while back and all looked good and back in they went. I probably haven’t checked in a 1000 miles or so. It’s probably about time to check again.

I carry an extra plug and coil in my tool kit.

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for this post. I bought it brand new and have had it for just over a year now with no problems. I just went to start my P1-5K after it has sat for a few days and it won't start. Just like @JTW , it turns over fine. It just doesn't try to start. No indicators saying anything is wrong. I am at a loss for why it doesn't start. The first thing I did was check fuses and all were good. I plan to throw it on my Genius charger for a bit and try again later, but at least I have a few ideas.

That spark plug issue you had was weird. I thought spontaneous spark failures ended in the '90s when snowmobiles went to EFI. I will have to check that too.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
plugs go bad on everything, more so as they do cost cutting, every company is doing. the original ones only last a year or two on most everything ive had, normally will put e3s in they last 3-4 being used all the time, ngk was normally one or two

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine would start and run, but just run on one cylinder. Haven’t had a problem since they changed the plugs. Carry two spares now. Plugs are not cheap.

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For whatever reason in central Minnesota today it's 39 degrees. I finally went back out and looked at it again and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting fuel. I don't think my fuel pump is working. I checked it with my multimeter and it's getting 12 volts at one wire with the key on. There are four wires/pins in there and one has zero resistance to ground which is good. Does anyone know what the other two wires are for? I was kind of expecting more than one wire to be hot with the key on.

That pump isn't making a sound.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
For whatever reason in central Minnesota today it's 39 degrees. I finally went back out and looked at it again and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting fuel. I don't think my fuel pump is working. I checked it with my multimeter and it's getting 12 volts at one wire with the key on. There are four wires/pins in there and one has zero resistance to ground which is good. Does anyone know what the other two wires are for? I was kind of expecting more than one wire to be hot with the key on.

That pump isn't making a sound.
2 wires for the fuel level sender and 2 for the pump. Brown and green for the pump. Make sure the battery is hot. They will spin over but not crank with a low battery.

Reactions: Tigermark
Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 wires for the fuel level sender and 2 for the pump. Brown and green for the pump. Make sure the battery is hot. They will spin over but not crank with a low battery.
I'm going to get time to look at it again tonight. To clarify, is brown Ground and green 12v Switched Power?

I did throw a tender on it and got the battery fully charged that day I was trying it.

I want to look at it one more time before I bring it in because my local dealership is notoriously slow.

Thank you!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm going to get time to look at it again tonight. To clarify, is brown Ground and green 12v Switched Power?

I did throw a tender on it and got the battery fully charged that day I was trying it.

I want to look at it one more time before I bring it in because my local dealership is notoriously slow.

Thank you!

Green is ground.

Pump

Reactions: Cal
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
plugs go bad on everything, more so as they do cost cutting, every company is doing. the original ones only last a year or two on most everything ive had, normally will put e3s in they last 3-4 being used all the time, ngk was normally one or two

I have a 2003 Mule 3010. I think I changed the plugs once (or maybe not?) and it has almost 700 hours on it. There is a reason the plugs on our Hondas carbon foul. Perhaps the low speed map is too rich and putt putting around causes fouling. I ride mine mainly on dirt roads for fairly long distances (30-50 miles) at 35-50 mph. I have my machine torn down to the frame right now. I'll pull a plug and see what it looks like.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
that's what they look like, too rich but with the over heating and emmisions criteria, every bike ive had or messed with has been terribly lean and you get rid of the overheating and plug problems by adding fuel with a tuner. maybe its some kind of messed up fuel deal

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:

Thank you all for the schematics and help with my troubleshooting. I determined that the hot wire I found was for the fuel gauge sender. The actual fuel pump wire was not hot. Next, I found two wires chewed off right under the relay bank, beneath the air intake. They were close enough underneath the relays that I didn't see them when I first looked over the relays and harnessing when it didn't start. I repaired the circuits and viola! Good to go!

Thank you again for your help.

The evening improved for me after that. I don't believe that it was mice that were in there. I believe it was a red squirrel or a chipmunk or similar. I had been seeing some around the area where I store the Pioneer. As soon as I fixed the wiring on the Pioneer I went behind the building to take a leak and saw the chipmunk. He bounced up onto a small stump. While he stood there, mocking me, I ran and grabbed my air rifle (all the neighbors sport the wrong colored political signs for me to use my real guns) and popped that little bastard! Let that be a lesson to all his little wire chewing friends that he hangs out with!

P.S. Sorry for assuming the chipmunk's gender....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!