BOX1

P700 Wont move or shift

T

Travis2308

Nov 11, 2018
Tx
Ownership

1. 700-4
2015 P700 with about 800 miles on it. Bought used with 600 miles a few months ago. Great condition, original CV axles etc. The bike worked fine for the last couple months but now will barely move.

40 plus degree temps and i let it warm up a couple minutes, stick it in gear and the bike will move maybe 10 feet, sometimes 20 sometimes not at all. Will go all the way to the rev limiter while barely moving. If i wait 5 more minutes it will run up fine in first gear and hit the rev limiter (won't shift into 2nd). 5 minutes later it will run up fine in 2nd and hit the rev limiter. After 15 minutes of riding it finally will shift into 3rd.

No clutch burning smell or anything. Bike shifts into D N R perfectly. Oil is clean and full. I read about some valve on the driver's side engine that adjusts the oil bypass to the clutch but haven't checked for it yet. Just wanted to see if anyone knows of anything else to check.

Thanks

Reactions: 15pioneer700
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Unless you did the work, who knows what kind/weight oil the former owner used in the machine. Personally, I would do a baseline start with it and put in all OEM Honda products and give it a try. If a fresh correct oil change doesn't help, I would look adjusting the clutch.

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with outdoors on the oil and start fresh knowing some meathead didn't put in the wrong stuff. You have a torque converter so no clutch adjustment. But almost always in these 700s it's the oil or not enough oil. The wrong oil or just a little low has and effect.also check air cleaner on these 700s. Almost always they need cleaned.
A baseline start means--- oil and filter,air cleaner, spark plug, and differentials..It's 50 bucks well spent.

Last edited:
T

Travis2308

Nov 11, 2018
Tx
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well instead of writing all that I should have just checked the oil again. Was two quarts low in just one week (about 10 hrs run time) no oil on the ground so now I've got to figure out where all the oil is going.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well instead of writing all that I should have just checked the oil again. Was two quarts low in just one week (about 10 hrs run time) no oil on the ground so now I've got to figure out where all the oil is going.
Make sure the ol girl is level when you check her. I run my a little above the high mark.. and now if I was you I would do as stated above and have a piece of mind knowing it's ok. Ask any questions you have...

Reactions: Mudwing
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree with outdoors on the oil and start fresh knowing some meathead didn't put in the wrong stuff. You have a torque converter so no clutch adjustment. But almost always in these 700s it's the oil or not enough oil. The wrong oil or just a little low has and effect.
I didn't realize no clutch to adjust,
Check the air box....

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!