P1000 Won't start

S

superx

May 9, 2018
Cascade, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2017 1000-3, that occasionally will not start. Most of the time it start just fine, but occasionally, it will not turn over or anything. An example is last night I drove it to feed some cattle, parked it and shut it off. 5 minutes later I tried to start it and the dash will light up, but engine doesn't turn over. I walked away from it for 15 minutes come back and it started just fine. It has been doing this for a couple of months now. The dealership had me check to make sure the dash is showing it's in gear and that the brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed. Both of these appear to be working. All connections (battery, starter) are in good shape and clean. This happens sporadically. Any ideas on what could be wrong or what I can check next?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Intermittent problems like yours can be the hardest to solve. Random thoughts:

If it happens again try moving the shifter lever firmly down to Low Range and shift it firmly back into Park. Try to start again. If that produces no result inspect both battery cables. Make sure they are not corroded and are clamped tight on the battery posts. If OK move on:

Check connections at starter motor and smaller wires at ignition switch.

Check all ground connections where wires connect to the frame.

Check every wiring connection you can find for tightness, no corrosion, and not touching any objects.

If you find nothing replace the battery.

S

superx

May 9, 2018
Cascade, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the quick response. I will check that all over this weekend.

Reactions: Lady01
S

superx

May 9, 2018
Cascade, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Update - I went thru all the wiring and shined up all the connections. Only thing I noticed was when looking at the connection at the starter, it looked good, but when I took it off the back side had corrosion that wasn't visible until taking the connection apart. After cleaning up the connections it hasn't had any issues. Thanks for the input.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!