Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Nope, not about a boat ... :)

My question isn't so much about the heater choice itself, but alternative vent location(s).

The typical heater (e.g., Ice Crusher, Inferno, OEM, etc.) appear to want to put the "defrost" heater vents where the "Warning" label is in the middle of the dash. But when you've already started filling that spot with a PBR Products dash plate full of switches, voltmeters and such, that means that's no longer a viable option for heater vents.

Sure, there are the spots behind your legs below the seat. I also see the Ice Crusher offers some vents/adapters to replace the cupholders on either side of the dash.

For those of you have this situation and run a cabin heater, where do you have your vents installed and is the performance acceptable (air leaks through cracks, doors and windshields notwithstanding, of course).

Just wondering if anyone else has addressed this? Thanks.

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan

My question isn't so much about the heater choice itself, but alternative vent location(s).

The typical heater (e.g., Ice Crusher, Inferno, OEM, etc.) appear to want to put the "defrost" heater vents where the "Warning" label is in the middle of the dash. But when you've already started filling that spot with a PBR Products dash plate full of switches, voltmeters and such, that means that's no longer a viable option for heater vents.

Sure, there are the spots behind your legs below the seat. I also see the Ice Crusher offers some vents/adapters to replace the cupholders on either side of the dash.

For those of you have this situation and run a cabin heater, where do you have your vents installed and is the performance acceptable (air leaks through cracks, doors and windshields notwithstanding, of course).

Ad2c64146320af6590495a63e071cc77
I did a little modifications to accommodate my switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I did a little modifications to accommodate my switches.
Nice.

Unfortunately, with what's there now and what I plan on putting there (additional switches where the blanks are), heater vents in that location are not an option. I might just have to wing it and install them somewhere else on/near the dash area.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The super ATV heater kit puts the vents on the top of the dash facing the windshield. Might be what your looking for. I'm in the same "boat"as you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I see what you did there, @Gabbas 😆

The SuperATV unit is also an issue, as I installed the Honda under dash storage already ... Sigh.

Reactions: Lady01
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see what you did there, @Gabbas

The SuperATV unit is also an issue, as I installed the Honda under dash storage already ... Sigh.
As did I. Lol. My good friend works for Inferno heaters right here in Humboldt Iowa where they're made. I'm trying to convince him I need to be a test subject for a newly routed heater kit.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'll offer a second unit. :)

Seriously ... I may just order the inferno, route the two that blow out from under the driver and passenger seat as normal, then put a third outlet between them, then fab up some way to connect a vent tube or something of that nature to run up between the cupholders, pointing at the front window. I'll just remove it when not in use. I don't ever expect to have a 3rd passenger in the middle seat, so ...

Reactions: Lady01 and Gabbas
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is what i did. Works well. Been on since 17’ and still kickin out good heat

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
if you can give me a bit i can get pics of my defrost install but it will be after thanksgiving before i can get them as my p5 is at the cabin and wont be going till then

L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

I put mine next to the window. The round dash vents will soon be filled with a new switch plate for radio and switches. I don’t have detailed. ’How to with photos“ . I can tell you I bought a couple thin vents from Inferno and cut the round part off (Too big to fit) and taped the vent tubing straight to cut vent. I made the vent tubing flat before taping with electric tape. Cut holes in dash . Works good, especially after up grading my inferno heater fan to the “Max edition”.

4D3C1F0A 9C9F 49A1 B720 4A73E7E4A330

Reactions: Scoop and Lady01
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I put mine next to the window. The round dash vents will soon be filled with a new switch plate for radio and switches. I don’t have detailed. ’How to with photos“ . I can tell you I bought a couple thin vents from Inferno and cut the round part off (Too big to fit) and taped the vent tubing straight to cut vent. I made the vent tubing flat before taping with electric tape. Cut holes in dash . Works good, especially after up grading my inferno heater fan to the “Max edition”.

View attachment 304725
I'm glad someone has done this and thanks for starting the thread. If/when I ever get a machine(was told last week my machine was in, it's gone when I went to get it) I want to put on dash defroster vents and save the warning label area for other stuff. Keep sharing similar mods!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Hope this helps .Here's where mine are. The passenger side fits in nice on the raised portion next to glove box and the drivers side fits in close to the dash display. Be careful next to the dash display as very little room behind and same on passenger side the hole just stays in the raised portion. Everything is tight but do able. I use 1 1/2" abs pipe and joiners plus elbows. The passenger side has been changed to the longer elbow now.

IMG 3885 IMG 3881 IMG 3884 IMG 3883

HolySmit

HolySmit

Nov 7, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 304725
Are your shifter covers from RAD customs out of Idaho? I emailed them to ask when they would be back in stock and no reply...

I've been going back and forth between the Inferno Maxx and the Ice Crusher with the Aux Water Pump kit, both heaters seem to have their own good and bads...

As far as vent placement, I'm keeping my side cup holders (already installed bigger ones to replace the crappy factory holders which couldn't even fit a standard beee... pop can). I'm going to have to get creative on where to put the defrost if I go with the Ice Crusher.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01

338fedman

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2022
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hope this helps .Here's where mine are. The passenger side fits in nice on the raised portion next to glove box and the drivers side fits in close to the dash display. Be careful next to the dash display as very little room behind and same on passenger side the hole just stays in the raised portion. Everything is tight but do able. I use 1 1/2" abs pipe and joiners plus elbows. The passenger side has been changed to the longer elbow now.

View attachment 304806 View attachment 304807 View attachment 304808 View attachment 304809
So i went to lowe's to find the fittings to do this, but my vents from the oem kit (2016 era?) are 2" and thus don't work, but I could perhaps grind them down. Looking at these pics it appears you custom made the vent that goes through the dash to work with the 1 1/2 abs elbows.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Are your shifter covers from RAD customs out of Idaho? I emailed them to ask when they would be back in stock and no reply...
I can confirm those are the covers from RAD Customs. I installed mine a month or so ago.

On the page for the P1K covers, it says, "This set of shifter covers is currently in production, and will ship around mid-February. Order now to ensure you get a set out of this production run!"

I ordered mine 09 NOV 2021 when it said a similar thing. The shipping label was printed 08 DEC, but didn't move for a number of days. I emailed Jared on the 13 DEC and he said he was shipping them out that day. They made it from ID to MI on 17 DEC.

If you want them, I'd just order and be patient. That's not Jared's full time job, so ...
I've been going back and forth between the Inferno Maxx and the Ice Crusher with the Aux Water Pump kit, both heaters seem to have their own good and bads...
Inferno: Easier to install (under driver's seat), BUT it takes up valuable space that you could use for something else (e.g., a full size battery) or underseat storage. Also, your heater is lower in the machine so it will get swamped with water sooner if you go through any deeper water. Also, if you run vent pipe up front to the dash (defrost?), then you'll have to run it next to the driveshaft, and some have actually wrapped that (and the wiring) around the drive shaft, destorying it.

Ice Crusher: This takes up otherwise unused space behind the dash, BUT it is a much more difficult install (see my build thread). It's installed higher than the Inferno, so you can go through deeper water before it gets wet. No vent pipe runs next to the drive shaft like the Inferno - just some wiring.

In the end, I went with the IC because I wanted to keep the space under the driver' seat free for other things.

As far as vent placement, I'm keeping my side cup holders (already installed bigger ones to replace the crappy factory holders which couldn't even fit a standard beee... pop can). I'm going to have to get creative on where to put the defrost if I go with the Ice Crusher.
I installed cup holder vents with the IC. I then installed a PBR Products dash plate that had cupholder built into it. If I had it to do again, I would get a different dash plate. There is a forum member who makes a much nicer product - I'll try to remember who that is).

As for defrost vents: There simply is not enough room under the dash for the long, thin style of dash vents you likely have seen on other SXS vehicles, no matter which heater you go with. The cup holder vents ARE the defrost vents on the IC.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
So i went to lowe's to find the fittings to do this, but my vents from the oem kit (2016 era?) are 2" and thus don't work, but I could perhaps grind them down. Looking at these pics it appears you custom made the vent that goes through the dash to work with the 1 1/2 abs elbows.
No vent . I used 1 1/2" abs through the dash and used the flexible tubing on the bottom side clamped tight to the abs. To keep it in place I used a strip of 1 1/2 " joiner that I cut about 1/4 " wide and glued it onto the under side of the dash pipe . I left enough pipe sticking out past the small section of joiner to beable to mount the hose on. On the top side I cut about a 3/8" strip of the joiner to hold the abs in place that goes through the dash. I made a gasket out of a inner tube that fits over the abs pipe on the top side. It is just against the dash then the 3/8" piece of joiner is slipped down tight against the dash holding the pipe secure in the dash. The 3/8" joiner piece is just screwed to the pipe that sticks through the dash after It's compressed as tight as possible to form a leak seal join. The pipe that sticks through the top of the dash is also long enough to put that piece of joiner on and also leaves enough sticking out that I'am able to put a long 1 1/2" abs elbow onto to direct the heat to the windshield. Hope this makes sense . If you have questions hopefully I can answer them.
BTW looking at my pics what your seeing through the pipe is the flexible tubing underneath the dash.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just another point….if your heater is under the seat, and your running duct to the front dash, you’ll loose easy 40% of your heat due to the crazy long duct run unless it’s insulated tube. You’ll also be running the risk that your duct work will be wrapped up in the driveshaft.

i used to run two on the floor and 2 on the dash until my ductwork was wrapped up on my driveshaft and took out my subtrans seal. Only way to replace that seal is to pull the subtrans which really sucks. I thought I had mine tidied up super good. One hard bump on the road between trails and it was a day at the camp removing duct and wiring all wrapped up on the shaft.

my cab is much warmer with the 4 ducts on the bulk head and way simpler as the runs are short and all of the heat gets kicked out into the cab and not lost to the ductwork and the space its in. My feet will sweat when im plowing snow at -10F.

Of all my UTVs I can only ever think of one time the window needs defogging and that is easily solved by a 12v clip on fan.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!