P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:rolleyes: I'll take a jumper box. You all talked me into it, I'll just have it switchable using one of the extra factory switches. I just like it dark in the cab.
A number of the voltmeters I've seen with USB ports have their own little button to turn the volt display on/off. Go with one of those and save adding another switch.

Reactions: Plowboy1466 and CID
advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This one, for example

On/off display switch on right https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1WJ3W5X?tag=sxsweb24-20
fwiw: USB ports have a parasitic draw and should be switched. My added cig plug is always hot for the GPS but my USB plug is switched on by the key. I did add a toggle switch to the cig plug so I can turn it off when hosing the buggy down but, other than that, it's always hot.

Reactions: duratime
D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
This one, for example

On/off display switch on right https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1WJ3W5X?tag=sxsweb24-20
I like that one, my only question is should I also have one for the factory battery? I know that the dash will show that as well, but is it necessary to be seeing both together to compare the two values? Wiring becomes much simpler to just use that one and it gives you good charging options and that translucent cover might reduce the light output enough that it might make it less annoying. Thanks.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another option is to use the Dual meter in the kit and put a piece of headlight tint on it. I have the dual indicator on a key trigger and a switched USB/volt meter (like above) direct to the 2nd battery. This allows me to charge a phone with the buggy off if needed but not draining the system when not needed.

Reactions: CID and duratime
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
fwiw: USB ports have a parasitic draw and should be switched. My added cig plug is always hot for the GPS but my USB plug is switched on by the key. I did add a toggle switch to the cig plug so I can turn it off when hosing the buggy down but, other than that, it's always hot.
My dual port USB lighted dash socket is connected to always-on power, but the socket itself has it's own on/off button built in.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got one from Azon like the green one above and installed it under the seat of my scooter. That, even with the power button turned off, would drain the scooter battery. I changed it out for a non illuminated one, that has no buttons. That one is doing fine.

Reactions: RobSparre and CID
D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I got one from Azon like the green one above and installed it under the seat of my scooter. That, even with the power button turned off, would drain the scooter battery. I changed it out for a non illuminated one, that has no buttons. That one is doing fine.
I'm going to put one on switch, just to be safe. Thanks

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It stays on until the voltage gets down to about 13 on the primary battery. The video goes into detail on this topic and shows how to force the voltage to go down quickly to prove the point.

you can turn the acc on (engine off) and turn on the lights. This will drain current for a few seconds. Then turn the acc off and the blue light will be out.
First off...Thank you Rob for the video. It really helped my install not to mention ordering the parts.
But I have a question concerning the blue light. When the blue light is illuminated is it allowing 1 way voltage to pass from the main battery to the aux battery?

advertisement
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Red - the blue light means the main battery is fully charged and is passing charge to the aux battery. I don’t remember the exact voltage level, but at approx 13 volts it will turn off. When you turn off the engine, the blue light will stay on until it drops to that level. You can test this by turning off the engine and then observe when you turn to accessory key position and turn on the lights. This will draw power and almost immediately turn the blue light off.

Reactions: Lady01
R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Rob.

Here are some pics of my install (excuse the dirt...we're in the desert). FYI, my Forest model came with a factory installed winch and I chose not to move the box in the front where most people install their isolator.
H1
H2
H3

C

cmharwood

Sep 20, 2022
Fargo, ND
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys! I've read through the entire post a couple of times, but haven't quite figured out the answer to my question. I'm following Rob's video and wiring, but I'm not using the bus bars. Can I just bypass those and tie the positive from the aux battery to the relay, and the negative from the aux battery to the accessory fuse box? The fuse box I got already has a negative bus. Everything else I have will be the same (relay, volt meter/relay). Thanks for the help!

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys! I've read through the entire post a couple of times, but haven't quite figured out the answer to my question. I'm following Rob's video and wiring, but I'm not using the bus bars. Can I just bypass those and tie the positive from the aux battery to the relay, and the negative from the aux battery to the accessory fuse box? The fuse box I got already has a negative bus. Everything else I have will be the same (relay, volt meter/relay). Thanks for the help!
I decided to remove the positive bus bar too. I took the positive lead on the aux battery to the stinger and then to the fuse box. I did leave the neg bus bar though.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Of course you can. But the primary purpose of the busbars are to make it easy to connect future lead(s) that need to go directly to the battery and not through the fuse box - typically, something pulling a decent number of amps.

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not trying to be argumentative, but why or what would you add that couldn't be placed in the fuse block with the proper size fuse? I doubt your going to add anything without a fuse. When I had the positive bus bar on installed on mine, I felt it just added clutter while adding a positive source for something to touch that might create a spark. Just my two cents.

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not trying to be argumentative, but why or what would you add that couldn't be placed in the fuse block with the proper size fuse? I doubt your going to add anything without a fuse. When I had the positive bus bar on installed on mine, I felt it just added clutter while adding a positive source for something to touch that might create a spark. Just my two cents.
Not a right or wrong thing. I find the convenience of the buss bar to be worth it and I protect it with red electrical tape that is easy to peel back when adding another device as shown in the video. High current devices I prefer not to run through the fuse box. I only connect low current devices through that. As long as proper safety and wire sizes are observed to carry the load current, there are numerous designs that will work. I have seen several designs I like better than mine. All good Mr. Red!

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So Rob, can we continue the install discussion? My true isolator has a remote crank disconnect. It has a male spade connector that can be connected to crank side of my ignition/starter. I understand would allow the aux battery to assist the main battery for cranking. SO...to all the electrical experts, where do I hook it up?

Thanks Red.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!