P1000 Yet Another Pioneer 1000 Dual Battery Install - video

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off the cuff, no set time, it depends on how long it takes the main battery to drop and stay below 13.3 volts or so.

Reactions: Lady01
B

buttesink

Feb 11, 2018
RWC CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not quite sure but I thought I read somewhere that if you turn your headlights on for x amount of seconds it will help to turn that light off
Again I thought I read that somewhere

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's correct, however the actual amount of time is determined by the charge state of the battery and its capacity. The load, headlights in this case, will slowly drop the battery voltage below the set point of about 13.3 volts or so. When this occurs, the blue light goes out.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off the cuff, no set time, it depends on how long it takes the main battery to drop and stay below 13.3 volts or so.

Thanks!! It cut off soon after I posted the message!! Thanks guys!!!!

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed my dual battery today and I have a question. How longdoes the blue light on tje sbi stay on after you cut off the machine???
It stays on until the voltage gets down to about 13 on the primary battery. The video goes into detail on this topic and shows how to force the voltage to go down quickly to prove the point.

you can turn the acc on (engine off) and turn on the lights. This will drain current for a few seconds. Then turn the acc off and the blue light will be out.

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed my dual battery today and I have a question. How longdoes the blue light on tje sbi stay on after you cut off the machine???
It depends on how fully charged the battery is. Typically lasts about 30 min to an hour and sometimes a little more.

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It you wired it like the instructions tell you it will go off when it gets down to 12.3 I think. You can wire it using the ground relay from the volt meter and it will go off as soon as you turn off the key but that’s not how mine is wired.

97EA0929 25AF 4039 98C6 46EA9C7C5F5E

J

Jmalec

Mar 15, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
for those of you who have installed the tru dual setup with a stinger how are you wiring the winch? To the stinger posts or to the 2nd battery. Thanks!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is standard procedure to wire the winch directly to the battery (through the contactor if that is separate). No fuse or circuit breaker. That's why it's also important to route the winch wiring with care, protect it with suitable sleeving if it might rub, make sure terminals are properly insulated etc. If an aux or second battery is present, most will use that to preserve the main battery for starting and running the vehicle. Add a "True isolator" or similar and once the vehicle is running, and the main battery is back above 13.2 or .3 volts, it's charge the aux battery too.

H

hopeicanaffordthis

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2021
Harpersfield, Oh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey all,
Wiring Diagram.jpg

After watching the great @RobSparre , i wanted to get to work on my brand new Honda pioneer 1000-3 and on a dual battery set up:

If you would be so kind, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind looking over my wire diagram and if you have any feedback- I would be grateful. Attached is a wiring diagram much like yours with a few changes:

- i have removed the stinger battery due to Switch Pros as only the dual volt meter & winch will be running without key on power
- winch looks like it goes to volt meter on my sheet but it just goes past it to negative bus
- i also wired a battery tender jr to my first battery to charge both batteries when parked in garage
- directly after second battery i have installed a 100 amp breaker switch

I had a few questions, maybe this group could help me to understand better?

- Will the wiring be ok without stinger as my switch pros will have the key on power to power lights and radio without start, just want to make sure i am not missing another function. I will use the bussman jumper you showed to hook into original fuse box position #5 for Switch Pros

Thanks in advance and have a great week!

Sincerely,

ryan or [email protected]

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey all,
Wiring Diagram.jpg

After watching the great @RobSparre , i wanted to get to work on my brand new Honda pioneer 1000-3 and on a dual battery set up:

If you would be so kind, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind looking over my wire diagram and if you have any feedback- I would be grateful. Attached is a wiring diagram much like yours with a few changes:

- i have removed the stinger battery due to Switch Pros as only the dual volt meter & winch will be running without key on power
- winch looks like it goes to volt meter on my sheet but it just goes past it to negative bus
- i also wired a battery tender jr to my first battery to charge both batteries when parked in garage
- directly after second battery i have installed a 100 amp breaker switch

I had a few questions, maybe this group could help me to understand better?

- Will the wiring be ok without stinger as my switch pros will have the key on power to power lights and radio without start, just want to make sure i am not missing another function. I will use the bussman jumper you showed to hook into original fuse box position #5 for Switch Pros

Thanks in advance and have a great week!

Sincerely,

ryan or [email protected]
cannot see it the way it is attached

Reactions: hopeicanaffordthis
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a few points perhaps unclear to me looking at the diagram.

I wired mine to have the winch run off the aux battery and available for use with key-off. That way main battery power is saved for running the machine (a short jumper cable can be carried for directly connecting the two battery positives at the isolator, or directly at positive terminals, for emergency use, e.g. jumping main battery from aux, or a lot of winching with engine running to help with load etc. The wireless winch receiver should also be aux powered and have its power separately on-off switched - that way stray RFI cannot turn winch on "uncommanded" and potentially do damage.

H

hopeicanaffordthis

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2021
Harpersfield, Oh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a few points perhaps unclear to me looking at the diagram.

I wired mine to have the winch run off the aux battery and available for use with key-off. That way main battery power is saved for running the machine (a short jumper cable can be carried for directly connecting the two battery positives at the isolator, or directly at positive terminals, for emergency use, e.g. jumping main battery from aux, or a lot of winching with engine running to help with load etc. The wireless winch receiver should also be aux powered and have its power separately on-off switched - that way stray RFI cannot turn winch on "uncommanded" and potentially do damage.e

Ok, thank you for this info- i guess i hadn't considered the RFI from remote control.

I have a few obstacles to overcome:

- when installing switch pros it also needs to be connected (independently, i assume) to key/ on/ off and they suggest the #5 space on main fuse box by way of bussman jumper. So i will look at picking up the key on power harness from the hondasxs.com store and use their harness for my secondary battery setup (winch, second fuse box, switch pros, dual battery volt meter, etc.). That should cover me against feedback/ unwanted power drain, then?

thanks, @bumperm- appreciate it!

ryan

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your "key-on" power for an accessory fuse box or whatever (except for the winch!) can be had by powering a relay from the #5 fuse as suggested. BTW, you already have a relay shown added, taking power from #5, to get switched ground for the dual voltmeter. It's a simple matter to also use the switched ground, thus obtained, to control a larger relay (Stinger, or I used a Bosch 75 amp relay I had on the shelf), just run the other side of the relay coil to main +, now that relay will be key-on.

The winch power should be direct from battery to contactor to winch. Honda connects it with no breaker or fusible link, so this wiring should be run with care and protected with sleeving where appropriate.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I finally got around to doing my dual battery set up. Cant tell you who much this forum has helped me in this process!! I am not a electrician by no means, but was able to do it without any fires! Not as clean as some of you guys, but I think it turned out well. I have my accessories all wired to he aux battery with power always on. Again thanks for all the help!

Accessories added so far!
Honda Side by Side Front and rear lights
Seizmk Lighted mirrors(white and Green)
Understeat Fan

20211010 132534 20211010 160333 20211010 160343 20211010 160351 20211010 160414

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well I finally got around to doing my dual battery set up. Cant tell you who much this forum has helped me in this process!! I am not a electrician by no means, but was able to do it without any fires! Not as clean as some of you guys, but I think it turned out well. I have my accessories all wired to he aux battery with power always on. Again thanks for all the help!

Accessories added so far!
Honda Side by Side Front and rear lights
Seizmk Lighted mirrors(white and Green)
Understeat Fan

View attachment 300806 View attachment 300807 View attachment 300808 View attachment 300809 View attachment 300810
Very nice and clean.
What year is your pioneer? I'm looking for a 21 to confirm the front light bar works.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2021 works on the lower bar. ! And by the way, I love your harnesses! The back up light harness is perfect!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!