P1000 Yet Another Pioneer 1000 Dual Battery Install - video

G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey G - thanks! I will create a diagram for you to have another option to have manual switch on without having to turn key on. Will let you know when ready and will attach.

Update: I have attached it to the original thread and to this reply. Called "on-off-on" wiring diagram. It's a little busy/messy because it was not laid out with the new DPDT switch in mind and I didn't rework it to make it neater. Hopefully this gives you the idea....

Thanks Rob, The way you have it wired here, I don't think I would be able to turn accessories "Off" when the machine was running would I? Or would I...just in the way the DPDT switch functions. On(Left) = Key on Position, Off(Middle) = accessories off?, On(right) Accessories on. So I'm probably wrong haha.

Also did you add an "accessories bus" just for this DPDT switch option on top of your "Positive Bus" or is there another reason to have both an "accessories bus" & "Positive Bus"?

Thanks

Reactions: RobSparre
bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm about an hour from the brewery as well, the P1K-5 will haul many cases for delivery, getting to Iowa means sneaking across a big bridge!
I know several guys that cross from IL to IA because the county across the river allows ATVs on the road. Just got to watch the for a sneaky trooper waiting for you on the trip back across!

• Haha
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Rob, The way you have it wired here, I don't think I would be able to turn accessories "Off" when the machine was running would I? Or would I...just in the way the DPDT switch functions. On(Left) = Key on Position, Off(Middle) = accessories off?, On(right) Accessories on. So I'm probably wrong haha.

Also did you add an "accessories bus" just for this DPDT switch option on top of your "Positive Bus" or is there another reason to have both an "accessories bus" & "Positive Bus"?

Thanks
I believe you are correct with your on-off-on description above. The middle position the accessories are off. The low current side of the stinger relay has been wired to the accessory bus so that it can be triggered with either the key-on power, or the switch in the ON-Right position (3rd position), because the positive bus is always hot, and the switch in that 3rd position allows current to flow from the positive bus to the accessory bus, which triggers the stinger.

The accessory bus really just ties the 3 leads together - 1 for the key-on hot, 1 for the always-on hot, and one to the stinger. So you don't really need to think of it as a bus - just a connection point for 3 leads, and we say "bus" cuz it's just cool.

G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe you are correct with your on-off-on description above. The middle position the accessories are off. The low current side of the stinger relay has been wired to the accessory bus so that it can be triggered with either the key-on power, or the switch in the ON-Right position (3rd position), because the positive bus is always hot, and the switch in that 3rd position allows current to flow from the positive bus to the accessory bus, which triggers the stinger.

The accessory bus really just ties the 3 leads together - 1 for the key-on hot, 1 for the always-on hot, and one to the stinger. So you don't really need to think of it as a bus - just a connection point for 3 leads, and we say "bus" cuz it's just cool.
That makes sense after thinking about it a little more. Are you showing an inline 3A Fuse from the DPDT Switch to the "Positive Bus?"
So for the accessory bus are you actually using another bus bar, or just wire nutting the leads together?
Lastly, how do you wire the Key-On power into the DPDT switch? Was that what you used that $6 bussman connector for in your video? Or did I miss something in your video?

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes sense after thinking about it a little more. Are you showing an inline 3A Fuse from the DPDT Switch to the "Positive Bus?"
So for the accessory bus are you actually using another bus bar, or just wire nutting the leads together?
Lastly, how do you wire the Key-On power into the DPDT switch? Was that what you used that $6 bussman connector for in your video? Or did I miss something in your video?
I will answer each question in order.

Yes, I show a 3A fuse in line from the DPDT switch to the positive bus because that is likely 16 gauge wire and we don't want a high current spike coming to our fingertips. Note that the fuse should be placed as close to the bus/source as possible, not up at the switch, although you wouldn't know that from the drawing. Fuses are actually protecting the wire as the higher gauge is not meant to carry high current.

For the accessory bus, note that I did not actually do this setup in my rig. I just did the altered wiring diagram for you. (Happy to do it.) I may add the DPDT in the future, but currently do not need to have accessories on without the key on. In any case, you do not need an actual bus bar for this - you can just tie the 3 leads together. I would probably solder them and put a wire nut on. The thin high gauge wire does not stay together that great with just a wire nut. I wouldn't trust it on it's own. Or maybe solder and electrical tape. Or wire nut and electrical tape.

To wire the key-on power to the DPDT, you just take the lead from the key-on source directly to the switch. The video goes over several methods. I bought the key-on harness from the SxS club, but because I am an idiot I did not figure out how to actually reach the back of the cigarette lighter until I was shown how stupid I was and that I could have easily reached it once the switch plate hole was cut out. I ended up using a fuse tap, which I actually like as it was very simple and less than $7. See the video for details on that. Instead of running the key-on lead to the stinger, you are going to run it to the DPDT switch, and run the stinger to the accessory bus (or your wire nut trio).

My setup has the key-on power source going to the stinger, but yours is not.

J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my solution that allows me to run accessories with key-on as default, off, or with the key off. Used a DPDT (on/off/on) switch with a safety cover. It is the far left switch in the wiring diagram.
922849E1 EC30 4FC9 A5AE 660B5CCAB8AF

50584640 9F07 4597 AC1B 50852425A1D1

Still waiting for my winch switch and rockers for the other 2 switches.

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my solution that allows me to run accessories with key-on as default, off, or with the key off. Used a DPDT (on/off/on) switch with a safety cover. It is the far left switch in the wiring diagram.
View attachment 241751
View attachment 241752
Wow that is SMOKIN' awesome! Beautiful job! Would you mind posting a PDF attachment of that diagram. (The image gets blurry zooming in.) I'd like to go over it in more detail. Beautiful job on the panel also - much nicer than mine! What are the two gizmos on the right hand side of the switch plate with the white middle thingy....

Reactions: TripleB
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 241751
View attachment 241752
Looks good but you might as well scrap that switch panel and get one that has more slots. 😂

• Haha
advertisement
G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful John!

Are you an electrician by Trade?
In your wire diagram it mentioned that you mounted most of your relays to the back of the switch panel...? Any pictures for how you acheived that? Also do most of the relays come with the accessories when you buy them or would I have to buy those separately. Do you have any video links to your Dual battery setup?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
😂😂😂 Right!!! Planning for expansion.
You did a great job, it looks too notch. I only said that because I started with a 6 and then upgraded to an 8 and now I’m pondering adding two more.

J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful John!

Are you an electrician by Trade?
In your wire diagram it mentioned that you mounted most of your relays to the back of the switch panel...? Any pictures for how you acheived that? Also do most of the relays come with the accessories when you buy them or would I have to buy those separately. Do you have any video links to your Dual battery setup?

Going to post a thread when I finish. Below are pictures of the relay block I purchased. I do Research and Development on Army helicopters and have an extensive electrical wiring background related to aircraft.
CEF2606D 126E 4498 81E2 BF81F4E0EC36
108F48E1 503C 4879 9C56 5BF2BA9F997C

378BD94E A235 4533 843A 3FB804A4F8BD
F29A3A0A 4435 4DE7 B6F8 5944DD6B7FE7

J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You did a great job, it looks too notch. I only said that because I started with a 6 and then upgraded to an 8 and now I’m pondering adding two more.

Thanks. I’ve learned that you need to plan for way more than you think you will need. 😁. I actually have 4 spare fused wires ran behind the switch panel, just in case.

Reactions: Russ989
G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I have to give RobSparre credit for making the video and starting this thread.

RobSparre, I think your video was the first thing I watched when I got my P1K5. I was trying to get ideas for how I was going to add accessories and ran across this thread.
Agreed Rob is the inspiration for mine too. Can never have too much info and learning tips/tweaks from each other!

When can we expect your thread to be up? Will you be posting a video somewhere as well!?

J

John79042

Nov 26, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When can we expect your thread to be up? Will you be posting a video somewhere as well!?

I am out of town for the next few days. The only thing left is cleaning up the last few winch cables. As for a video, haven’t decided. May do a walk through video to show/talk about differences from what RobSparre and others have done. The main difference is that I am OCD when it comes to wiring/cable management. May have some good tips for cable management that I can share.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!