P500 Broke right front axle help!

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
By looking at the picture, the angle of the wheel indictates you may have broken a tie rod first, which then caused the C/V to pop apart from turning too sharp. I am sure the rack and pinion and tie rods are supplied to Honda from an outside supplier an assumed to be free from defects when Honda installs them. With the P500 being new any decent dealer should pick it up and repair under warrenty.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Nope no broke or bent tie rod.

Reactions: rtn001
H

HondaTech

What could have caused this to happen? You can see where it happened, it only has been rode around my house. Less than 30 miles on it and I wouldn't put in anything rough hell I'm 52 old and slow is how I ride this thing.

Its hard to say, unless the axle did fail first and the rack was allowed to extend out further than normal.

I've never had a Honda axle fail to the point where it comes apart.

Reactions: rtn001
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For comparison sake, this is mine turned all the way to the steering stops...
20200301 200547

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I was riding my brand new p500 today and broke the right front axle. Is this common and how to replace and where to buy. Seams like it really shouldn't have broke. Broke in 4x4 reverse. Looked like it just popped out but was also broke. Anyone had this happen?

View attachment 187506
First off, that really sucks! Secondly, this is the first time I've seen a broken axle on a (stock) P-500, and I have seriously stressed my P-500's axles way past the stock limits literally hundreds of times with no issues. I just replaced them with over 2600 miles on them simply because they were worn out due to damaged boots letting the cv joints get full of mud and water,(many times:oops:) but still didn't break! Hopefully it'll be warrantied, and it was just an anomaly.
And welcome to the club!

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
Its hard to say, unless the axle did fail first and the rack was allowed to extend out further than normal.

I've never had a Honda axle fail to the point where it comes apart.
Me either and I've rode them since I was 20 years old and back the I put several Honda ranchers and Formans in crazy stuff back then. It was odd to me to have it blow apart like that. That's why I took pics where it happened to show Honda dealer it wasn't in a bad place.

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
First off, that really sucks! Secondly, this is the first time I've seen a broken axle on a (stock) P-500, and I have seriously stressed my P-500's axles way past the stock limits literally hundreds of times with no issues. I just replaced them with over 2600 miles on them simply because they were worn out due to damaged boots letting the cv joints get full of mud and water,(many times:oops:) but still didn't break! Hopefully it'll be warrantied, and it was just an anomaly.
And welcome to the club!
I hope so to. I even bought extended warranty but I haven't had this a month and I loved it until today. I'm old and not in good health and this was a job to get fixed to drive it on trail. But it drove home perfectly. No pulling or anything. I didn't dare put it in 4wd tho.

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I was riding my brand new p500 today and broke the right front axle. Is this common and how to replace and where to buy. Seams like it really shouldn't have broke. Broke in 4x4 reverse. Looked like it just popped out but was also broke. Anyone had this happen?

View attachment 187506
Damn that’s turned out like crazy. Never seen one bind up like that! I’d be hauling it to the dealer I’ve had mine bimded up tight with the 27s chewing away and haven’t had it to do that I’d say the rack and pinion is bad and caused way to sharp angle and popped the axle should be a warranty job I’d imagine. Sorry this happen to you hope you get it fixed welcome to the club plenty of information and great people here.

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
Damn that’s turned out like crazy. Never seen one bind up like that! I’d be hauling it to the dealer I’ve had mine bimded up tight with the 27s chewing away and haven’t had it to do that I’d say the rack and pinion is bad and caused way to sharp angle and popped the axle should be a warranty job I’d imagine. Sorry this happen to you hope you get it fixed welcome to the club plenty of information and great people here.
I hope dealer does the right thing. We will see I guess. Had to be defective. Only me could get the one. Lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

View attachment 187506

No this is not normal. This is what I think happened. You have a tie rod that is miss adjusted, the tie rod is too short on that side. This allows the knuckle to over rotate with a small force. The over rotation and application of power took out the CV joint. If this is from the factory or was adjusted by the dealership, then honda owes you a warranty repair. However, I'm nobody special, but that's the opinion of John Doe #2.

advertisement
Lilred500

Lilred500

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I hope dealer does the right thing. We will see I guess. Had to be defective. Only me could get the one. Lol
Don’t feel bad I just traded in a 14 Silverado with no issues at all for a 17 Silverado and the 17 had a bad torque converter right off the lot so your not the only one with bad luck it’s fixed now though lol. Good luck let us know the out come

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Something else is wrong for sure, did you say you had to pop the tie rod back on? Do not see how with it on the wheel could turn out that much. With only 30 miles i bet something was missed at factory or at dealer prep. I have caught rocks and trees with my front tires and thought for sure i had broke something but nothing.

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
Something else is wrong for sure, did you say you had to pop the tie rod back on? Do not see how with it on the wheel could turn out that much. With only 30 miles i bet something was missed at factory or at dealer prep. I have caught rocks and trees with my front tires and thought for sure i had broke something but nothing.
No I had to put the end of cv joint back in cage on wheel side.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Don’t feel bad I just traded in a 14 Silverado with no issues at all for a 17 Silverado and the 17 had a bad torque converter right off the lot so your not the only one with bad luck it’s fixed now though lol. Good luck let us know the out come
You're not having bad luck, you just didn't do your research. All 17, 18, 19 chev silverados have bad torque converters in em. Factory defect, i hope the 2020's are fixed, but chev doesn't respond very quickly... but they have a nice tailgate!!!

Lilred500

Lilred500

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
You're not having bad luck, you just didn't do your research. All 17, 18, 19 chev silverados have bad torque converters in em. Factory defect, i hope the 2020's are fixed, but chev doesn't respond very quickly... but they have a nice tailgate!!!
Mine was fixed next day. No issues since

Elmo7mm

Elmo7mm

Feb 9, 2020
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for everyone's input. Took to dealer today, they said it would be covered by warranty. They said that it looked like the CV cage failed causing joint to fail and come apart. They said its very rare but they have seen it before. They said that basically these machines are bullet proof and very rarely do anything but oil changes on them. That made me feel much better.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for everyone's input. Took to dealer today, they said it would be covered by warranty. They said that it looked like the CV cage failed causing joint to fail and come apart. They said its very rare but they have seen it before. They said that basically these machines are bullet proof and very rarely do anything but oil changes on them. That made me feel much better.
Always nice to get good news.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like a decent dealer, where did you take it?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!