Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree the heat is most welcome during cold weather. It was near freezing for our ride at the Pioneer takeover and wife and I just had coats and gloves. Not once did we get cold. I probably ride more during the cooler months as well but I still shouldn't have to suffer during the summer. I finally got my little girl to sit next to me for rides and she can't cause it's so hot you can't touch that plastic part between the seats.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I posted pictures of the bilge fan I installed and the under seat insulation is a good improvement. Its important to mount it toward the header pipes and to the rear more close to the engine. The heat comes from the header pipes plus the coolant pipes and radiator - fan. Driving at speeds above about 15 mph keeps the heat down but go 5 to 10 mph for 30 minutes and the heat will build up. It should be easy for Honda to add insulation and a thermostatically controlled 12 V fan if necessary. Can-Am and Kawasaki have the worst heat problems.

Reactions: SIHunter
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree the heat is most welcome during cold weather. It was near freezing for our ride at the Pioneer takeover and wife and I just had coats and gloves. Not once did we get cold. I probably ride more during the cooler months as well but I still shouldn't have to suffer during the summer. I finally got my little girl to sit next to me for rides and she can't cause it's so hot you can't touch that plastic part between the seats.
Delton....I have my kids sit in a booster seat....it sits them off the seat a bit and they can see a bit more as well....
Great Idea!

atvman17

atvman17

Jan 28, 2016
central bc. canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
with the wind deflector and hard rear panel it seems to create some pressure in the cab and the heat is not too much of an issue.
however when i have passengers in the back water splashing on the motor causes a lot of steam in the back.

jmcirilo

jmcirilo

Apr 29, 2016
Panama
The heat problem triple in my situation and most of the time it's unbearable. I live in Panama where the temperature is always above 85°. If I knew about that, I would have never purchased the 1000-5D.

Last edited:
jmcirilo

jmcirilo

Apr 29, 2016
Panama
This is BS.... Honda should have known about the heat problem from the creation of this machine. The heat problem it's so damn obvious that Honda should realized and take corrective action while doing the QC test. But greed has become the norm now for these companies...

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The 500 has had heat issues for years, the 700 had heat issues for years. The new model P1000 has heat issues with very little built in to deal with it.
Now all of sudden they're interested ?

Reactions: Stauvo
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The heat problem triple in my situation and most of the time it's unbearable. I live in Panama where the temperature is above 80°. If I knew about that, I would have never purchased the 1000-5D.
The last month or so the temp has been over 90 here with heat index over 100 pretty much every day. I still have zero regrets buying this machine. I'll cure the heat problem soon as I have enough time. I look at it as an obstacle that just needs going over lol. The trick is making it reversible cause I'm gonna be wanting that heat come winter lol. I'm still trying to find some bulk turbo blanket material. If I can get my hands on some of that...game over for the heat problem.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
A fan blowing air back over the pipes is a great reversible mod as well. If you feel cool, flip a switch on the dash.
The first thing I did for heat was insulate that piece of red hot plastic between the top and bottom seats. Even in winter - you dont want that next to your passenger.

IMG 2735 IMG 2711

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A fan blowing air back over the pipes is a great reversible mod as well. If you feel cool, flip a switch on the dash.
The first thing I did for heat was insulate that piece of red hot plastic between the top and bottom seats. Even in winter - you dont want that next to your passenger.

View attachment 17314 View attachment 17315
I plan on doing that as well. How waterproof is that blower? I may mount blower up out of the way and run piping down to the engine. Just to be safe

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I plan on doing that as well. How waterproof is that blower? I may mount blower up out of the way and run piping down to the engine. Just to be safe
The blower is "water-resistant". I haven't got it wet yet.
I bought the 3inch instead of 4" inch blower cause I wanted to install it in-line or end-of-line but I couldn't figure out a good place to run the pipe.
I dont run thru alot of water so I'll just turn it off when I do.

I'd like to see where you run the pipe.

Reactions: Porkchop1950
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the thought of extending the blower also, but after looking it over, I think it works best just pulling air from near the front of the seat and blowing it right across the headers toward the rear. Adding an extension would take away from that aspect. Mine seems to work very well. Now I can hear it running, which to many is just another Honda problem. To me, I just don't see how folks to expect having an engine under you in a mostly enclosed cab, during the summer could be cool???? Oh sure they could have install all sorts of insulation but I have never had a ATV that wasn't hot after riding long in the summer heat. With just a bit of heat shielding and a cheap fan, summer driving is not bad at all.

Reactions: Stauvo
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice - are you gonna have it suck and blow at the same time?
Hadnt thought of that. Think that would work better? The hose is white which sux, but it was less than 10 bucks. I can at least figure out the route then go back and get black hose.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I can get it high enough to keep most water away from it, mounting blowers in the section behind drivers legs would be a good location. Then it'd be a straight shot to the head/exhaust. I need to see how much of the head pipe I can reach too. I've already got 50' of header tape lol. But that might be a pain to remove during winter months.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!