P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update on the heat problems. Talked to Massi at American Honda today gave me the run around and directed me back to the dealer which I will contact tomorrow and report back. If anyone has info on a class action lawsuit please count me in I am tired of the lack of help.

OK positive news. Talked to my Dealer today. Honda does have a prototype repair available. Please anyone that has not contacted there Dealer with there heat concerns do so ASAP that will help the process along. My Dealer has not seen the repair or what's involved to install i but will get more information in the next few days. I am going to wait till some have been installed and see it it fixes the problem as my seat insulation helps for the front. I just can't have anyone in the back seats in hot weather. I feel Honda is listening and I know for a fact are following this post. Let's just hope they do the right thing.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No I was no
Did they say anything about the hot air coming through the dash around the levers?

No I was not aware of that problem thats why everyone need to contact there Dealer with concerns so nothing is left out.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We put the insulation under the seat but my wife says it doesn't help much. She took the P1K down to the bottom of the mountain to pick black berries this afternoon and when she got back she said the heat from the front of the seat, around the seat belts, and the heat through the lever holes in the dash had her feeling like a stewed goose. This is not good.

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I contacted Honda today about the heat under the dash. I rode 45 minutes at 10mph. My phone was in one of the dash consoles. It got so hot my phone was un-functional. My iPhone had a warning sign stating the phone need to cool before use. It was 68 degrees outside during this adventure. Honda assured me they would call me back this week with a fix. Time will tell

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We put the insulation under the seat but my wife says it doesn't help much. She took the P1K down to the bottom of the mountain to pick black berries this afternoon and when she got back she said the heat from the front of the seat, around the seat belts, and the heat through the lever holes in the dash had her feeling like a stewed goose. This is not good.

If you don't mind me asking, what accessories do you have mounted?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OK positive news. Talked to my Dealer today. Honda does have a prototype repair available. Please anyone that has not contacted there Dealer with there heat concerns do so ASAP that will help the process along. My Dealer has not seen the repair or what's involved to install i but will get more information in the next few days. I am going to wait till some have been installed and see it it fixes the problem as my seat insulation helps for the front. I just can't have anyone in the back seats in hot weather. I feel Honda is listening and I know for a fact are following this post. Let's just hope they do the right thing.

Sounds like they are working for a fix. If you don't mind me asking, what accessories do you have mounted?

advertisement
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I contacted Honda today about the heat under the dash. I rode 45 minutes at 10mph. My phone was in one of the dash consoles. It got so hot my phone was un-functional. My iPhone had a warning sign stating the phone need to cool before use. It was 68 degrees outside during this adventure. Honda assured me they would call me back this week with a fix. Time will tell
Same thing with my wife's iPhone6. Said when she took it out of he dash pocket she could hardly hold it.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I can't speak for anyone else but the only thing I installed was a hard top roof

Any idea where the heat is might be originating from in the front? Is it the front differential? The seats I can see, I can't think of where it would be coming from on the front. Of course, I don't have one, yet.

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The radiator.
100% it's the radiator. Underneath the dash is a huge bowl. Only exit vents are the gear shift. The 700's have a shield to block the radiator heat from entering the so called dash bowl. Does not make one bit of sense why they left that shield off the 1000

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Please keep us in the loop with what you find out and thank you for what you are doing. This is my biggest concern with purchasing the Pioneer right now.

H

HondaTech

If this has been mentioned in this thread, then ignore please.
Today we received a Heat Management Kit from Honda for the 1000. We have a long time customer who bought a 1000-3 deluxe and has a small complaint about the heat. He farms a huge acerage of beans and traded in a Big Red with over 20,000 miles in for his 1000. They gave this kit to us to try and see if it solves the problem. He agreed to try anything they wanted, kind of a guinea pig if you will. It's basically a piece of rubber under the seat that covers the large hole above the engine instead of just the hole where the heater would sit (under drivers seat), and a rubber weathertrip which i guess goes between the panel directly behind the seat against the rollbar.
We haven't installed it yet, but ill let you guys know what goes on.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I called Honda and was advised to bring the pioneer to the dealer and then let them know when it's there. I called the dealer, yesterday, to give them a heads up that I'm bringing it in and the service manager said a Honda case manager had already contacted him. I don't mind being a lab rat for a potential fix as long as it doesn't take the remainder of the summer.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If this has been mentioned in this thread, then ignore please.
Today we received a Heat Management Kit from Honda for the 1000. We have a long time customer who bought a 1000-3 deluxe and has a small complaint about the heat. He farms a huge acerage of beans and traded in a Big Red with over 20,000 miles in for his 1000. They gave this kit to us to try and see if it solves the problem. He agreed to try anything they wanted, kind of a guinea pig if you will. It's basically a piece of rubber under the seat that covers the large hole above the engine instead of just the hole where the heater would sit (under drivers seat), and a rubber weathertrip which i guess goes between the panel directly behind the seat against the rollbar.
We haven't installed it yet, but ill let you guys know what goes on.
Can you post photos of the kit? Thanks! Can't wait to see and hear about the results! :)

Reactions: franzw and Hondasxs
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Several people on here have purchased their 1000 from Southern Powersports in Chattanooga. We all need to contact them and ask about this dealer installed mod. My only concern is during the cold months. Is it easily removed so we have heat when we want it? I know I'm being selfish wanting my cake and eating it too

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!