P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on doing that as well. How waterproof is that blower? I may mount blower up out of the way and run piping down to the engine. Just to be safe

You will likely burn up the motor if you add any piping on the intake or discharge. It will create static pressure that the fan will have to overcome. The fan is designed to be open ended I assume. Unless the fan is designed to be run in line with some sort of duct work.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
You will likely burn up the motor if you add any piping on the intake or discharge. It will create static pressure that the fan will have to overcome. The fan is designed to be open ended I assume. Unless the fan is designed to be run in line with some sort of duct work.
Those are in-line blowers - the manufacturer lists different airflows for open and in-line operation.

Reactions: jasontjames
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
those are designed to be used with duct work in the bilge of a boat, I bet they're somewhat water proof being meant for primarily marine use.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
those are designed to be used with duct work in the bilge of a boat, I bet they're somewhat water proof being meant for primarily marine use.
Exactly. The hose I bought is specifically matched to that model blower. I'm sure they're probably waterproof, but I don't want them to be submerged for long. Mainly because of the strain it'll put on the motor. Plus we've all experienced the "sauna" effect when water splashes up on the engine lol.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So how much do the blowers really help and how loud is the blower noise?

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
I am taking a different approach to the heat issue, I have taken on a second job to help augment my roof fund. What I've done is is made a deal with a local pizza shop to deliver pizzas in my P1K-5 non-deluxe. I use the heat from under the seat to keep the pizzas warm. Customers are extremely happy with receiving a hot pizza and have started requesting that I deliver their pizzas when ordering. My tips are twice that of the other delivery drivers!

There is a down side, my P1K-5 non-deluxe smells like pepperoni now

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am taking a different approach to the heat issue, I have taken on a second job to help augment my roof fund. What I've done is is made a deal with a local pizza shop to deliver pizzas in my P1K-5 non-deluxe. I use the heat from under the seat to keep the pizzas warm. Customers are extremely happy with receiving a hot pizza and have started requesting that I deliver their pizzas when ordering. My tips are twice that of the other delivery drivers!

There is a down side, my P1K-5 non-deluxe smells like pepperoni now
Lol ain't nothing wrong with a pepperoni smell lol.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Hadnt thought of that. Think that would work better? The hose is white which sux, but it was less than 10 bucks. I can at least figure out the route then go back and get black hose.
I was going to mount the fan at the top of the rear rollbar and have the fan suck air out of the engine compartment. Got confused about where to run the hose and decided to just try it under the seat. It worked so well, and later took the windshield off for summer so I never got around to moving it.

Blowers help alot.
At a stop or slow speeds, you can definitely here it. Trail riding I dont notice it too much - I just decided to accept it s part of the noise the machine makes.

Having it inline, it might be quieter. And you could wrap something around it to muffle the noise.

Reactions: Eltobgi
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It is huge. When even with a heat shield under the seat, any area that is not sealed, like seat belts which must move somewhat and can't be air tight sealed, allows significant heat to escape. Flip on my blower and the heat is almost completely gone. Now I have not run on a long trip yet, but tooling around doing normal stuff it has changed what was hot and unpleasant to very comfortable even in very hot temps. The cost and installation is so inexpensive and easy that for me, here in hot and humid Kentucky it is a great value. Most of my mods are done tightly and neatly. This however I looked over how others have done theirs and playing around, just suspended the blower with wire ties at what I thought would be the best height and angle to optimize air flow. Since I didn't know if the blower placement or even the blower itself would be of value, I simply ran the wiring up and around the ROPS and along my windshield connecting to a cigarette lighter plug and just plug it in or take it out as needed. I just store it with my GPS in the top cubby. Nothing factory is changed and everything can come out in 5 minutes but works great.

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is huge. When even with a heat shield under the seat, any area that is not sealed, like seat belts which must move somewhat and can't be air tight sealed, allows significant heat to escape. Flip on my blower and the heat is almost completely gone. Now I have not run on a long trip yet, but tooling around doing normal stuff it has changed what was hot and unpleasant to very comfortable even in very hot temps. The cost and installation is so inexpensive and easy that for me, here in hot and humid Kentucky it is a great value. Most of my mods are done tightly and neatly. This however I looked over how others have done theirs and playing around, just suspended the blower with wire ties at what I thought would be the best height and angle to optimize air flow. Since I didn't know if the blower placement or even the blower itself would be of value, I simply ran the wiring up and around the ROPS and along my windshield connecting to a cigarette lighter plug and just plug it in or take it out as needed. I just store it with my GPS in the top cubby. Nothing factory is changed and everything can come out in 5 minutes but works great.
I was wondering if there was any way to hook up the wiring to the front without running it exposed. Could you post a picture of your install or point me to the thread if you ave already posted it. Thanks.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was wondering if there was any way to hook up the wiring to the front without running it exposed. Could you post a picture of your install or point me to the thread if you ave already posted it. Thanks.
When ran wiring to the rear of mine for the pod lights, I ran 3 extra wires for future use. Glad I did too lol. It's all tucked inside wire cover and ran along the rollbar. Most of it is between bar and the roof so it's hidden. Also would like to see pics of other's blower install.

Reactions: mibracedude
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have routed wiring under the floor to the under hood area on my build. The easiest way I found was to remove the skid plate and center vertical access panel to aid in running wires.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 17400
I have routed wiring under the floor to the under hood area on my build. The easiest way I found was to remove the skid plate and center vertical access panel to aid in running wires.
Nice. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go this route.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 17400
I like it. Run several wires bundled together to handle any future additions.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update on the heat problems. Talked to Massi at American Honda today gave me the run around and directed me back to the dealer which I will contact tomorrow and report back. If anyone has info on a class action lawsuit please count me in I am tired of the lack of help.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My blowers showed up today. I hooked one up to my jump box and they really put out some cfm's. The hose on the other hand is as useful as tits on a boar. Flimsy and thin. Good thing it was only 9 bucks lol
IMG 20160627 184648800 800x450

Last edited by a moderator:
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My blowers showed up today. I hooked one up to my jump box and they really put out some cfm's. The hose on the other hand is as useful as tits on a boat. Flimsy and thin. Good thing it was only 9 bucks lol
View attachment 17504
I ordered the 4" bilge fan today. I hope it helps!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My blowers showed up today. I hooked one up to my jump box and they really put out some cfm's. The hose on the other hand is as useful as tits on a boar. Flimsy and thin. Good thing it was only 9 bucks lol
View attachment 17504
What is the amp draw on them individually?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I used a 4 inch blower. Its angled a bit toward the header pipes and mounted to the rear more close to the engine. Driving 20 mph and above I don't need it but after 40 minutes of under 10 mph the seat plastic area can get to 150 degrees, with the blower on it drops to under 110. The under seat insulation makes a big difference too.

P1070638 P1070639 P1070640

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!